Every girl every month is faced with such an "event" as menstruation. Accordingly, that throughout her life, she had formed certain principles about the duration of critical days, the time of their occurrence and color. Few people know, but it is the color of the discharge on “these” days that plays one of the important roles.
Light blood during menstruation has a double meaning: once a light shade is the norm, and once a signal of a problem. There are several possible colors of selections and their causes.
Causes of color change
Blood color during menstruation is an indicator of the health of the girl. The one that comes out of the vagina does not undergo coagulation. Therefore, it is much darker than the one that flows through the veins. Its color varies from pink-red to almost black.
Blood can change its color as a result of different situations: changes in hormonal levels, use of antibiotics, severe stress, dramatic weight loss. Usually, as a result of the above reasons, the color can change by a maximum of two cycles. Then everything comes back to normal.
Every shade of red during the menstrual cycle speaks of a problem. This is a kind of signal for a woman. There are a number of factors that are responsible for the manifestation of a particular color of blood.
During menstruation, scarlet blood is considered a normal indicator if it lasts two days. This suggests that a woman has no health problems. Bright blood during menstruation has the smell of iron. You can also watch it when you cut your finger or bite your lip.
If the scarlet monthly continues on the third day, then you should pay attention to it. This situation signals for a young girl that she has established a cycle of critical days. And for women over 50 years of age, bright scarlet blood during menstruation indicates the beginning of menopause. Red blood in the second half of menstruation means that a woman may often use contraceptives, or a spiral is installed. The reason for the presence of bright red blood for menstruation over two days can be:
- pathological pregnancy
- use of birth control pills or the presence of a spiral,
- complications after surgery,
- polyps in the uterus,
- recent abortion.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons for manifestation of such a deviation, and which one of you is not independently recognized. Therefore, you should not make a diagnosis yourself, but rather go to a doctor and be examined.
After the end of the cycle, the blood can change its color, become much darker. And this is not considered a deviation from the norm, if a woman does not have such symptoms:
- discomfort in the vagina,
- specific aroma,
Burgundy blood appears as a result of clots formed. They, in turn, appear due to a change in hormonal levels. This can be associated with a strong emotional shock. Often such a problem is faced by women who are on diets, refuse meat, or, conversely, have rapidly gained weight in a short period of time.
Also with the clots of burgundy color face the fair sex, who are engaged in heavy physical labor. Such periods are accompanied by headache, malaise, fatigue, quick change of mood, emotionality and heaviness in the lower abdomen.
There may be secretions with burgundy-colored clots due to an incorrect position of the cervix - the uterine bend.
If burgundy critical days are accompanied by a strong odor, this indicates the presence of one of such diseases as endometriosis, adenomyosis, inflammatory and infectious pathologies, polyps.
Note, the appearance of dark secretions as a "daub" may indicate the presence of pregnancy, and the baby is in danger. Miscarriage is possible!
There are cases when the discharge during the critical days become orange. It’s not worth to beat the panic right away, but it’s necessary to find out why menstruation has changed its color. Blood orange appears due to a change in hormonal levels. Most often this occurs during the first menstrual period or before menopause.
Less commonly, color changes can be associated with an established spiral, congenital pathologies with the uterus and ovaries, high blood pressure. It is easy to get rid of these causes: the helix needs to be removed, to start taking medications from high pressure, and only a doctor should deal with pathologies.
The norm of the monthly - red color discharge. But there are cases when a woman of reproductive age has critical days, like water with small red spots. In this case, after their completion, you must consult a doctor and undergo a series of examinations.
In girls whose monthly period is the first year, and in women with menopause light blood during menstruation is normal. Medical consultation is welcome to rule out all possible diseases.
Light red secretions may occur two to three weeks after critical days as a result of ovulation. Normally, even light periods should be abundant. Light discharge is not abundant, odorless and lasts from a couple of hours to several days. Often women confuse such discharge with critical days.
If, in the presence of light periods, you feel fine with “these” days, then there is no reason to worry. This may be due to the failure of hormonal levels, psychological stress. You need to pay attention to the selection, if there are such factors:
- menstruation began earlier than three weeks, or later than 35 days,
- copious or scanty periods that last longer than seven days,
- there are large blood clots,
- constant cycle failures
- light shade of blood throughout the cycle,
- unpleasant smell of rotten fish,
- itching and dryness
- increased body temperature
- any pain in the urinary tract,
- scanty discharge that increases over time and is not going to run out,
- appearance of bleeding every few days.
In the presence of at least one of the above items, it is necessary to undergo an examination and examination by a doctor. All these factors and light blood can be triggered by a criminal abortion, miscarriage, sexually transmitted infection, damaged mucous membrane in the vagina, incorrect hormonal drugs, low hemoglobin levels.
Women need to look after their health. To undergo a regular examination by a gynecologist, and if you have any problems or questions, seek the advice of a doctor and not self-medicate.
After all, the changed color of menstruation can speak not only about the problem with the urogenital system, but also with the thyroid gland, nervous system, gastrointestinal tract and others. Be carefull!
Monthly light color: norm or pathology
Light periods are bad or why menstruation is not saturated color? Doctors say that coloring of discharge is not the most important thing. There are a few rules that must match the selection. And if some of these rules are violated, then you need to consult a doctor. Here are the rules.
1. The duration of menstruation. Normally it is 3-7 days.
2. The amount of discharge. It should be from 30 to 50 grams for all days. Perhaps a deviation in a big way by about 10-20 grams.
3. The absence of large clots (more than 2.5 cm in diameter). Dark or light periods with clots - a sign of great blood loss.
4. The length of the menstrual cycle is not more than 35 and not less than 21 days.
5. No unpleasant smell, itching.
6. No severe pain and fever.
If any of these rules are violated, then even if the color of the menstruation is normal in your opinion, you need to be examined. There is nothing emergency, but perhaps there is a problem that can lead to infertility or iron deficiency anemia.
The reasons why the monthly light may lie in what it is. not menstruation at all, but intermenstrual bleeding. It can happen for various reasons. But it should be suspected if the discharge appeared earlier than on the 21st day of the cycle. Perhaps the reason is oral contraceptives. If not, then this may be a sign of ovulation, and sometimes implantation of the ovum into the uterine cavity. Usually caused by these reasons, monthly light-colored, as they are often called women, end very quickly, no more than 1-2 days are observed, not large, no more than 1 daily panty liner is used.
If scanty very light periods come in time, and they do not become more abundant within 2-3 days, then the endometrium trauma may be the cause as a result of diagnostic curettage or instrumental abortion. In addition, sexually transmitted infections and hormonal disorders can adversely affect the endometrium. If you repeat the situation in the next menstrual cycle, you need to contact a gynecologist. Usually, in such cases, he recommends making an ultrasound scan on the 5-7 day of the menstrual cycle, donating smears for infections, blood tests for various hormones in the first and second phases of the cycle. In most cases, this is enough for a diagnosis. If not, and besides scant menstruation there are any other complaints, prolactin is increased in the blood test, consultation of an endocrinologist may be recommended.
Light periods with mucus, unpleasant smell of rotten fish, are with bacterial vaginosis. It is not sexually transmitted, although it often manifests itself against the background of genital infections. The doctor easily diagnoses even when examined. But to confirm it, we need the characteristic results of a smear for flora. It is treated fairly quickly. There are effective antibacterial drugs that are sure to help.
Light periods after a delay can be a sign of both hormonal disorders, due to which, in fact, the cycle was violated, or pregnancy occurred, especially if it ended very quickly. In this case, if there was a probability of pregnancy, you need to do a test or pass a blood test for hCG. If you went poor light monthly pregnancy can be saved. The treatment uses progesterone drugs - Duphaston, Utrogestan. If there is pain - spasmolytics, in hospitals put dropper with magnesia. Plus, there will be an easy safe sedative in the form of valerian tablets. Bright menstruation during pregnancy is not the norm, but a symptom of the threat of its spontaneous interruption. If you want to save the child, you need medical support.
Interesting video off topic:
Is it worth to sound the alarm if the monthly bright scarlet?
The color of the menstrual blood is an indicator of a woman’s health and the normal course of the cycle, so you need to know what color your menstruation should be. The statistical norm is dark, red-brown or burgundy color of blood, small blotches of mucus and clots - particles of dead uterine mucosa are possible. In the beginning, periods of a healthy woman may well be lighter in color: scarlet or red. Blood color is caused by its iron content, so in the first 1-2 days, when the process has just begun and fresh blood comes out, menstruation can be scarlet and not as thick as in the last days, when the blood and the rejected endometrial particles have already oxidized and collapsed. .
However, the process of oxidation and darkening of the blood is obligatory, and if the monthly go for 4–5 days, but their color does not change in the direction of brown, you should listen to your body. Scarlet secretions over several days or weeks may not be monthly, but uterine bleeding. Bleeding requires immediate medical attention, accurate diagnosis and treatment of hemostatic agents, along with treatment of their cause.
Dark menstrual blood is characteristic of the overwhelming majority of women, but the variants of the norm are both red monthly, and scarlet, and even pinkish, because often the color of blood depends on its chemical composition, which can differ even in one woman at different periods of her life and change over of the year. For those whose cycle is already established and stable, it will be easy to notice a change in the color of the discharge. If normally you always have lighter blood than almost black venous blood, it means that pink or orange blood will be a disturbing signal to you, or, on the contrary, too dark discharge from the very first day. In this case, it should not be the blood of the scarlet color that is concerned, but the unusual color or consistency of the menses. A new shade of blood in combination with the scarcity of discharge or painful sensations is especially dangerous for you; if you note this set of symptoms, you should immediately go to an appointment with a gynecologist.
How to distinguish bleeding from menstruation?
- First appreciate the color, consistency and odor of discharge. their duration. Menstrual blood has a rather peculiar odor, whereas when bleeding there is almost odorless blood, more liquid, flowing, without mucus and pieces of the endometrium. On the other hand, an excessive amount of small clots also indicates problems.
- Intensity of discharge with monthly on average 20–50 ml per day, maximum 60 ml. Monthly out in portions, most often you can see the inclusion of solid tissue and clots. If the scarlet blood of yours goes continuously, in a steady stream, the richness of which is much higher than your usual monthly periods - see a doctor immediately! Even after 1 hour of bleeding a woman can lose a large volume of blood, fainting and weakness will occur. Soaking a tampon or pads in an hour or two should alert you.
- Cycle failure. Menstruation started a week earlier or later than you expected? Yes, and the blood is scarlet, the discharge is unusually scanty or too abundant. Probably, this is not a menstrual one at all, but a hormonal failure or even an ectopic pregnancy. You need to immediately undergo an ultrasound and visit a doctor. The same applies to the duration of the cycle, if the blood flow went up to 3 or more than 7 days, you have a reason to visit the doctor.
- Weakness, fatigue, pale skin of the face and hands, chills. You are not able to do your usual activities and lead your standard lifestyle, you instantly get tired and want to sleep, sleep and headache, coordination of movements is disturbed. All these symptoms speak of blood loss and the need for immediate medical attention.
Even minimal suspicion of bleeding that is not related to the natural menstrual cycle is a good reason for an urgent visit to the doctor!
When should you worry about bright scarlet menstruation?
There are a few more reasons why your monthly scarlet. Such discharge is possible in young girls in the period of formation of the menstrual cycle. Another age group for which such a feature is characteristic is women who will soon have menopause or the process of menopause has already begun. In both cases, the color of menstruation is affected by dramatic changes in hormonal levels. Most often, bright discharge is not the only difference from the usual course of menstruation, also varies the period of discharge, their intensity and nature. For women of reproductive age, such symptoms are unusual, and often signal problems in the field of gynecology.
More disturbing causes of light red or scarlet blood may be a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the blood or other problems of the hematopoietic system. If you notice such a symptom for several months, it is necessary to pass a general blood test and seek advice not only to the gynecologist, but also to other specialists.
Crimson menstruation can be the result of various gynecological diseases or dysfunction of the reproductive system. Hypomenorrhea, the consequences of chronic infections and inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs, ovulatory and anovulatory bleeding, the first signs of oncological processes, ectopic pregnancy - all this can affect the color of the blood. And in each of these cases, self-diagnosis and self-treatment are strictly contraindicated, and it is imperative and immediate to be examined and treated.
Causes of red blood during menstruation
Monthly - is an integral part of the intimate life of every woman. Starting from puberty (11-14 years) and ending with menopause (45-50-55 years), the fair sex every month endure several unpleasant days, which are called critical.
It all started with the fact that my little crumb, began to refuse to eat. He ate like a t-shirt, he was tormented by abdominal pain. He got parasites. Children are pulling in their mouths to avoid getting infected. Read in full >>
Physiological aspects of the process
From the point of view of physiology, menstruation is the elimination of the inner layer of the uterine lining (endometrium), which did not receive a fertilized egg. Due to the detachment of the endometrium, the small blood vessels that supplied it are exposed. Слизь, выделяемая при месячных – это отторгнутая слизистая матки, а кровь – это небольшое количество содержимого маточных сосудов.
Цвет крови во время месячных зависит от количества железа в организме женщины. To be precise, it depends on the number of red blood cells and the level of hemoglobin. But it’s normal to assume:
- at the beginning of menstruation (1-2 days, depending on the duration), the blood may have a bright red or scarlet color, more liquid and without any admixture of thick blotches (clots or mucus),
- then the discharge becomes darker, acquires a brownish tint, sometimes becomes maroon-brown - this phenomenon is due to the fact that iron is oxidized when it comes into contact with oxygen,
- the smell is peculiar, but without the stench,
- the blood does not clot, as it is mixed with the mucous secretion of the uterus and vagina,
- in recent days, small blood clots, pieces of tissue and mucus may be present in the discharge,
- the amount of discharge should not exceed 150 ml for the entire period,
- the duration of menstruation varies from 3 to 7 days.
A woman, whose menstrual cycle is established, and critical days begin on schedule, can always “calculate” the problem not only by calendar failure, but also by the consistency and color of the discharge.
Deviations from this norm can be observed in two cases that do not cause particular concerns, although a visit to the gynecologist will not interfere:
- in girls whose cycle has not yet been established
- in women in menopause, when such discharge is accompanied by other signs of the coming menopause.
If, in the reproductive period, a woman is faced with the problem of the unusual color of the menstrual period, their great profusion, began a few days (more than a week) earlier and continued menstrual discharge for a long time - this is an occasion to see a doctor immediately. You may not have monthly, but uterine bleeding. This condition is life threatening due to heavy blood loss.
Monthly or bleeding?
IMPORTANT! If You Have a Weakness and You Are Sick Often!
We have noticed that many of our regular readers complain about problems with moles and papillomas. The development of warts is a sign of the presence of parasites in your body!
If you want to get rid of warts, you must use the simple council of Elena Malysheva to eliminate the cause of the appearance of new warts.
Scarlet blood during menstruation, which does not darken and continues to stand a week, or even more - this is not menstruation, but uterine bleeding. In such a state, it is necessary to immediately consult a doctor in order to carry out therapeutic measures in time to eliminate the cause of the pathology.
The most common symptoms are:
- monthly scarlet, lasting more than a week,
- liquid consistency throughout the period,
- practically odorless.
Bleeding on intensity can be different - from heavy, at which you need to change the gasket more than two times per hour, to almost normal, but with light blood that does not stop for a long time.
Symptoms of blood loss, which threatens the health and even life:
- severe weakness and drowsiness,
- unusual and inexplicable fatigue,
- dizziness, fainting,
- dark spots before eyes, loss of coordination of movements.
If such manifestations occur, immediately call an ambulance and go to the hospital where you will be given the necessary help and will diagnose the causes of this condition.
What are the reasons for the scarlet blood
Scarlet blood during menstruation can not be considered a pathology only in two cases - during the establishment of the menstrual cycle, and during its termination.
The reasons, when the red menses indicate the pathological processes occurring in the body, may be as follows:
- in early pregnancy scarlet periods may indicate miscarriage,
- in ectopic pregnancy, menstruation will be accompanied by red blood at the time of growth of the egg in the tube and the occurrence of a crack that precedes rupture,
- infections of the urogenital system, which, along with the scarlet color of the discharge, are accompanied by a whole range of unpleasant symptoms: soreness, heavy and sharp-smelling discharge, discomfort or pain during sexual contact,
- ingrowth of the intrauterine device into the cervix. Menstruation without lumps, scarlet or bright red may be the only symptoms of the problem,
- cancer in the uterus. This pathology is accompanied by a number of symptoms: copious periods, discharge of watery consistency and with an unpleasant smell in the middle of the cycle,
- polyps in the uterus cause heavy periods, pain during sexual contact. But this pathology can sometimes be asymptomatic,
- after the abortion, the scarlet blood may indicate that particles of the amniotic egg or its shell remain in the organ cavity,
- Endometriosis is characterized by profuse and painful periods with scarlet secretions. Such physiological processes as urination and defecation can cause discomfort, and sometimes pain,
- uterine fibroids provoke the growth of the abdomen only with a certain localization of the tumor and in the later stages of pathology. In the early stages of the development of the disease, a woman notes an abundant light period, bloody discharge from the vagina outside of menstruation, and some others.
Pathological causes that can cause bright red menses, require indispensable treatment. Then the pathology of the menstrual cycle will be eliminated.
What to do when scarlet menstruation
When detecting a change in the color of menstrual blood, which originated for the first time and is not characteristic of your body, you should seek the advice of a specialist. If it is bleeding, contact immediately. You can not determine what happened to you - an expert will help.
Even if you visited the gynecologist during menstruation, he will be able to take a history. And according to the results of your conversation, he will conclude that you need to inspect you now and take urgent measures, or arrange a visit after the end of the discharge. If necessary, the specialist will advise which medications to take during this period.
If, in addition to color, your period is not “knocked out” from the usual schedule, go to the reception immediately after the end of the discharge. This period will be the most informative in terms of collecting biological material and carrying out other instrumental diagnostics.
How to get rid of stretch marks after childbirth?
Most women after childbirth are faced with the problem of stretch marks on the skin.
- Someone grows appear during pregnancy, someone - immediately after childbirth.
- You can not afford to wear open swimsuits and short shorts? - And soon the beach season.
- You start to forget those moments when men made compliments to your flawless figure.
- And every time you come back to the mirror again, it seems to you that you can never return the old days.
But effectiveremedy for stretch marks there is! Learn how Anastasia returned smooth and beautiful skin.
Norma with light menstruation
In the absence of deviations, the color of the released fluid may be scarlet, dark red or brown in the first and last day (daub). It also contains patches of mucus, fragments of rejected endometrium.
Menstruation should be without the presence of an unpleasant (offensive) smell, itching, burning, severe pain, black. This is considered the norm, if the monthly began on time, no less than 21 days from the previous critical days, the blood does not clot, the total volume of discharge does not exceed on average 80-100 ml for the entire period, and their duration is from 3 to 7 days.
If women of reproductive age have menstruation like water and blood the whole period, then after it ends, you will need to consult a gynecologist for advice. It is recommended to be examined using ultrasound (transvaginal), video-colposcope (extensive colposcopy), to donate blood to determine the level of hemoglobin, hormones.
In girls for a year or 2 years after menarche and in women in the period of premenopause, the preservation of the scarlet (light) color of the menstrual blood is not a pathology. However, it is recommended to see a doctor to rule out diseases.
Light, non-abundant bleeding after 2-2.5 weeks after menstruation may be due to ovulation (hormones change when the egg leaves, the follicle membrane is damaged). There may be implantation bleeding when the embryo is inserted into the endometrial tissue, breaking the vessels. Normally, such red discharge lasts from several hours to 3-5 days, which is why women perceive it as either monthly or deviation.
Pathology with light menstruation
There are several reasons why secretions retain a bright red, pink or slightly colored (beige) color, or critical days appear prematurely. These are endocrine, gynecological and venereal diseases, spontaneous abortions at an early stage of pregnancy, vaginal bleeding, trauma to the mucous membranes of the intrauterine device, a consequence of unsuccessful curettage, a cancerous tumor.
Symptoms of pathological deviations:
- between menstruation less than 3 weeks or more than 35 days have passed,
- scanty or heavy monthly or they go longer than 7 days,
- there are clots larger than 2-2.5 cm,
- systematic cycle failures
- light color of blood remains throughout the entire period of critical days,
- unpleasant smell, like a rotten fish,
- itching, dryness
- body temperature above normal
- cutting or other pain in the area of the urinary organs, ways,
- scarce discharge becomes more abundant over time, with no signs of completion,
- bleeding systematically resumes every few days.
If there is at least one symptom, you should immediately diagnose to find the cause of the deviation. A gynecological examination is required, even if the color of the menstruation is normal (dark red, not bright), but there are other symptoms of pathology. Early diagnosis will help to avoid complications, one of which is iron deficiency anemia.
Causes of light-colored blood:
- criminal abortion
- bacterial infections that are sexually transmitted (STDs),
- medical damage to the mucous membranes or endometrium,
- wrong hormones, including contraceptives,
- low hemoglobin level.
With the help of a gynecologist, laboratory and hardware diagnostics, it is easier to identify the causes that provoked bleeding or to exclude factors that contribute to its recurrence. For example, they select adequate hormonal contraception, prescribe vitamin therapy, remove the intrauterine device, eliminate the effects of abortion, and use other methods of treatment.
A woman is recommended to regularly undergo general routine medical examinations in order to protect herself from the complications of various diseases. After all, light menstrual blood can be caused by a malfunction of the thyroid gland (hormonal disruptions), due to overwork, chronic fatigue, poor nutrition (rigid diets), diseases of the nervous system, and for many other reasons.
Didn't find the answer to your question?
Ask it to our visitors and experts.
All consultations are absolutely free.
© 2017. Site about the menstrual cycle
and his frustrations
All rights reserved
The information is given only for general information and can not be used for self-medication.
It is not necessary to self-medicate, it can be dangerous. Always consult a doctor.
In case of partial or complete copying of materials from the site, an active link to it is required.