Critical days, even coming right on schedule, are sometimes very inappropriate. For example, if there is a gynecological disease, the treatment of which includes topically used drugs. Is it possible to douche during menstruation in this case, or is it better to wait out this period?
Read in this article.
Why is douching prescribed
Irrigation of the vagina with a medicine or decoction of plants is one of the components of the complex treatment of various gynecological problems. It may be candida, inflammatory or infectious disease. Many of them are characterized by the presence of signs that change sensations in the area of internal genital organs. A woman is bothered by itching and burning, pain, a different kind of discomfort. Douching facilitates them and eventually removes completely.
Irrigation is also used in the absence of the mentioned signs. After all, with its help medicinal components fall directly into the zone of affected genital organs. This helps to quickly cope with discomfort, eliminate relapse. Douching allows you to wash off pathogens and the consequences of their activity from the vaginal walls.
Is it possible to carry out the procedure during menstruation
Monthly - is the process of removing the old layer of the uterine mucosa with its replacement with a new one. The inner surface of the organ at this time is very vulnerable. After all, blood is a favorable environment for pathogenic bacteria. And besides, the cervix with menstruation is wider than usual. And access to bacteria inside the body is not limited.
These reasons explain why experts do not recommend that patients do douching on critical days.
But what about the treatment? After all, its continuity is one of the conditions for recovery. There are nuances here:
- When in doubt, whether it is possible to douche chamomile during menstruation, the answer to the fluctuations is unambiguous. This plant has antibacterial capabilities. But they are rather weak, they cannot be compared with the action of antibiotics. And the danger of getting funds into the uterus, where it does not belong, remains. Given that doing douching several times a day, the threat of getting inflammation increases. And the benefits of the medicinal composition on these days will be minimal, since it will quickly slip out along with the secretions. So douching chamomile should be postponed until the completion of menstruation.
- For the treatment of certain diseases prescribe drugs that restore the flora. That is, their composition corresponds to what is in the vagina from nature. Therefore, many do not doubt whether it is possible to douche with lactagel during menstruation. We are sure that critical days are not an obstacle in this case. This is mistake. The drug is used at night, that is, the probability of it entering the uterus during menstruation is preserved. And its cavity must remain sterile. Therefore, the earliest time when you can start applying lactagel is the last days of menstruation, when residual secretions come out. But it is best to wait for their complete completion.
- It happens that irrigation is not interrupted for a period of critical days. But then they are held in a medical institution under the supervision of specialists. And for the use of such treatment need very good reason.
Look at the video about the benefits of douching:
What is unsafe douching during menstruation?
During each menstrual cycle, important metamorphosis occurs in a woman’s body. Starting from the first day, in the uterus of the representative of the charming sex, the endometrial layer grows, to which the fertilized egg will be attached in case of fertilization.
If the conception of the baby did not happen, an unnecessary layer of the endometrium is rejected and leaves the body in the form of menstrual flow.
At the moment, the girl's cervix is opening slightly. It is laid by nature in order for blood clots and different tissues to leave the uterus cavity without obstruction. It is for this reason that during the period of vigorous menstruation, the main female organ becomes extremely vulnerable to all sorts of bacteria and pathogenic flora.
Thus, even in the case of carrying out the procedure with the use of ordinary water, you can introduce contagion into the uterine cavity and provoke the formation of an inflammatory process.
In addition, all methods of irrigation of the vagina believe the use of different solutions, which include certain chemicals and drugs.
If one of the hostile substances in the menstruation period enters the vagina, it will be able to rapidly achieve the walls of the uterus and become the cause of a serious chemical burn. In some cases, the results of such procedures ideally do not respond to treatment and darken the whole future life of a woman.
Finally, we should not forget that any substances that fall into the vagina during menstruation are rapidly washed out from there, along with secretions. Consequently, douching at the beginning of the menstruation cycle may not only be unsafe for a woman’s health, but simply to no avail.
What are the contraindications for douching later than menstruation?
The procedure of douching can harm women's health not only during menstruation, but also later.
So, irrigating the vagina with all sorts of liquids is not recommended in the following cases:
- in the waiting period of the child, this procedure may provoke a miscarriage or a preface of untimely birth,
- for all inflammatory diseases in the acute stage, douching can only aggravate the situation,
- within a few weeks after the birth process, the female body is much weakened and very susceptible to various infections and viruses, and therefore, with all sorts of similar procedures, wait a little longer,
- for the same reasons, you need to give the body to recover after miscarriage, cleaning or termination of pregnancy,
- Another situation when it is not necessary to carry out this procedure is the hormonal imbalance in the woman’s body, which is manifested in the form of such diseases as uterine myoma or endometriosis. The truth is no research and it is not confirmed that irrigation of the vagina with medicinal solutions worsens the course of these ailments, but it certainly will not be able to improve the condition of a woman,
- Before visiting the gynecologist, it is not worthwhile to carry out the procedure more than the fact that in this case the results of the reviews, which the doctor takes, may turn out to be unreliable
- Finally, it is impossible to douche easily so that you can cleanse the vagina for personal hygiene. To carry out this procedure is allowed severely for medical reasons and only under the supervision of a doctor.
How to positively douche soda, and is it allowed to do it during menstruation?
Many women use a solution of soda for douching, from the fact that they believe that it helps the conception of the future baby.
In reality, no clinical trials confirm the effectiveness of this method, however, it is confirmed that it may be suitable in the complex treatment of thrush.
To prepare a soda solution, dilute 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of clean boiled water.
Before the procedure, you should lie down horizontally, slightly raising the pelvis. Entering the solution into the vagina, it must be kept for 30-40 seconds in order to create an alkaline environment.
If you use this method in order to increase the likelihood of a successful conception, douching should be done approximately 30 minutes before sexual intercourse. For the treatment of thrush it is allowed to do this at any time, repeating the procedure 5-6 times a day.
Dosing with soda solution during menstruation is probably the most dangerous method. Soda is an unimaginably hostile substance that is likely to provoke a chemical burn of the mucous membrane, which can lead to unforeseen results on the part of the female body. In addition, the chances of conceiving a child with menstruation are extremely small, and increasing them with the support of irrigating the vagina with soda solution does not make any sense.
In what circumstances can a doctor prescribe douching with Octenisept?
Usually, douching with the pharmacy drug Octenisept is prescribed if the patient has a bacterial infection in the vagina. This drug is very powerful, therefore, before using it, it is imperative to dilute it with boiled water at room temperature.
For irrigation of the vagina is recommended dilution in the ratio of 1: 6 or even slightly smaller. This method is characterized by incredibly high productivity, from the fact that the energetic substance of Octenisept, octenidine dihydrochloride, has a very high antimicrobial activity.
Syringe "Octenisept" is allowed only in the absence of contraindications, to do this in menstruation is categorically impossible, in the worst case it is also allowed to get a hefty solid chemical burn.
Doshing with chamomile and calendula before, during and later periods
Irrigation of the vagina with broths of medicinal herbs has been used since ancient times. Unlike the above methods, the procedure using liquids prepared on the basis of natural plants is much more harmless.
The most famous medicinal herbs in this category are pharmacy chamomile and calendula.
And that, and another plant is used in the treatment of candidiasis, as well as to relieve various inflammations. Calendula is also repeatedly used to simplify the condition in the presence of cervical erosion.
Often, irrigation of the vagina with chamomile is prescribed in combination with syringing soda, which allows you to achieve the maximum permissible result.
To prepare the solution for douching, you need to take 2-3 teaspoons of dried herbs and pour two cups of boiling water. Insist for 2 hours, then scrupulously strain and immediately carry out the procedure. To achieve the maximum permissible result, 4-5 times a day should be doused.
The question of whether it is allowed to douche with chamomile and calendula during menstruation is controversial. Some girls safely use this method during menstruation and notice that skeptical days are much easier for them. At the same time, many modern doctors still agree that it is not safe to do douching during menstrual flow even with ordinary clean water. It is consequently to douche with broths of medicinal herbs that are more excellent than each one before and after menstruation, when the cervix is completely closed.
Today, the way of douching is increasingly losing its celebrity, due to the fact that in fact it is invariably allowed to be replaced by other, much more effective and safe modern procedures.
You should not resort to this method without the appointment of a doctor, even in the absence of menstrual flow. If the doctor prescribed you douching, obediently follow all his recommendations and immediately notify him of all changes in your well-being.
When is douching used?
For a long time in bathrooms it was possible to meet a douche or Esmarch’s mug. The presence of the subject indicated that there was a woman in the family. In the modern world, douching is considered dangerous and no one uses it unnecessarily.
In the solution with gynecological problems, the treatment complex includes irrigation of the vagina with medicine or a decoction of medicinal plants. Use douching for an infectious disease, candidiasis or inflammatory processes. The disease is accompanied by discomfort, itching, pain and burning sensation.
Why douching the uterus is dangerous
Serious consequences may occur after vaginal douching with liquid. In the treatment of diseases, douching is not the best way to fight infections. Medicines prescribed by a gynecologist are prescribed for treatment, so procedures should be carried out as directed by a specialist. The main consequences that occur from vaginal douching are:
- harmful bacteria and thrush multiply after a violation of the vaginal microflora,
- serious consequences entail the appearance of adnexitis and endometritis. The disease is characterized by inflammation of the appendages after douching,
- Endometriosis often develops as a complication after douching.
If there is any disease of the female organs, gynecologists insist not to carry out the water procedure and not to touch the internal environment of the vagina. From the application of this method, health may deteriorate.
The use of douching during menstruation
The menstrual cycle entails major changes in a woman’s body. On the first day in the uterus, an increase in the endometrial layer can be observed. It is necessary to attach the ovum for fertilization. Exfoliation of excess buildup occurs, if conception did not occur, after which menstrual flow appears.
By nature, it is assumed that the cervix slightly opened, and blood clots come out unhindered. During this period, the pathogenic flora of the vagina, as well as all sorts of bacteria can penetrate into the female body. Ordinary water will serve as the main source for infection in the vagina. The inflammatory process is inevitable.
Any method of douching the vagina is necessary with the addition of special chemicals and drugs. Aggressive substances after penetration into the vagina, instantly reach the wall of the uterus and form a serious chemical burn.
Such procedures are difficult to treat and remain with a woman for life. If during the monthly douche any substances, they will not have any benefit, as they come out with the discharge. Douching at the beginning of the menstrual cycle is considered not only dangerous for the woman's body and meaningless.
When is douching completely contraindicated?
It is necessary to take into account that at certain moments douching is prohibited:
- during pregnancy - air can pass through the cervix or the infection will penetrate from mother to baby. Douching during this period will lead to preterm labor,
- if menstruation has begun, then in no case should the vagina be syringed,
- after childbirth and abortion it is strictly forbidden to douche in the first two weeks,
- it is forbidden to douche the internal environment if there are inflammatory diseases,
- if you need to visit a gynecologist you should not do douching. The discharge from the mucous membrane is washed off after washing, thus, the clinical picture is difficult to see and difficult to make a diagnosis.
Application of chamomile
Due to the presence of anti-inflammatory and sedative effects in gynecology, it is possible to douche with chamomile decoction. During the course of treatment for thrush, patients can douche the medicinal plant and take medicines. Two tablespoons of dry grass inflorescences pour 1 liter of water and prepare the broth.
The mixture should definitely bring to a boil. If you add other anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agents, for example, calendula flowers, the solution will become stronger and more effective. After cooling the broth to 37–38 degrees, it is necessary to strain through the gauze folded several times. Pour the strained liquid into the syringe.
Douching is recommended in the supine position. You can use one of the options. The first position is lying on a sofa or bed using a medical vessel, which must be placed under the basin. In the second version, you need to sit on the bottom of the bath, lift your legs and bend at the knees.
The muscles of the vagina should be relaxed to make it easier to inject the syringe. Be careful to enter the solution without pressure. The uterus can not be touched, as there may be serious inflammation. Within 10-15 minutes, the whole volume of decoction is found. Sprinkling chamomile is recommended in the evening, it is better before bedtime.
Dangerous douching agent
When allocating the monthly can not be syringed vagina, and even more so when using soda. This component is considered one of the aggressive substances.
After douching this substance on the mucous membrane will burn, and the woman will get unpredictable consequences. With the use of soda should be extremely careful and apply it only after consulting a specialist.
Self-treatment causes negative effects, reflecting later on the woman's vagina.
Necessary instruments and proper use
To perform vaginal douching it is necessary to use the following devices:
- Esmarkh mug,
- a syringe of the required size,
- big syringe without needles.
The deep tank is filled with warm solution, then it must be placed in one of the selected devices. Prepare for the introduction of fluid can be independently, taking a comfortable position, preferably in the bathroom.
Струя не должна поступать резко, так как появятся болезненные ощущения. Для спринцевания складочек, расположенных вокруг шейки матки, наконечник рекомендуется перемещать не спеша.
При использовании кружки Эсмарха, а также спринцовки, наконечники надо менять для того, чтобы избежать занесения инфекции из кишечника. Proper douching devices will protect against the inflammatory process of the internal genital organs. For proper douching, you need to consult a specialist.
Instead of douching, you can use tampons or candles to correct the problem. For pregnancy and acute inflammatory diseases developed in the genital area, it is better to visit a specialist before douching.
The emotional mood of a woman directly depends on her state of health. That is why it is very important to pay due attention to your body, especially when any pathologies are detected.
Vaginal douching: concept, instruction, suitable substances
Douching is so common that many women consider it an ordinary hygienic procedure. However, the introduction into the vagina of various solutions is not as safe as it may seem at first glance. This method of treatment has its pros and cons, and if used incorrectly, it can harm health.
The benefits and harm of douching. Although gynecology douching has been used for a long time, in the 21st century, some doctors treat it negatively. The fact is that when irrigating the vaginal mucosa in any case, its acid-base balance is disturbed, and antiseptic solutions kill not only pathogens, but also beneficial microflora.
In a healthy woman who observes the simplest rules of hygiene, the vagina itself is cleansed of various secretions and blood clots after menstruation. It is enough to take a shower once or twice a day, and the smell will be almost imperceptible, and it is impossible to get rid of it completely in any case.
If, however, to clean the vagina regularly douche, and even use soda solutions, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, then over time the colonies of beneficial lactobacilli will no longer recover, the mucous membrane begins to dry, microcracks will appear on it, and in severe cases ulcers will appear. Therefore, therapeutic douching is carried out by courses, for 5–7 days (sometimes up to 10), with an obligatory break between them lasting at least 20 days. Per day is allowed to do 1-2 douching.
Only a doctor can determine whether a woman needs douching, prescribe a means for irrigation and set the duration of the course.
Douching is usually prescribed for:
- bacterial vaginosis
- inflammation and erosion of the cervix,
- chronic cystitis,
- vaginal dysbacteriosis,
Also, women douche before tamponing during cervical erosion and before gynecological operations.
It is strictly forbidden to douche:
- pregnant, as the procedure can damage the fetus or cause miscarriage,
- for 40 days after giving birth or abortion, while cracks and stitches heal,
- during menstruation, when pathogens are likely to enter the cervix.
- It is not recommended for women to douche during menopause, because at this time the vaginal mucous membrane becomes dry.
How to do douching
The method of douching depends on the temperature of the solution. Most often, doctors prescribe flushing with a temperature of +34 to +36 ° C. In the clinic, the procedure is carried out using the Esmarch cup.
The patient is placed on a gynecological chair or on a couch. In the latter case, the vessel is under the thighs. A woman should relax, spread her legs and bend them at the knees. Esmarch's mug is placed over the patient's waist, the tip of the hose is inserted into the vagina and the valve is opened. The used liquid flows into the vessel or into a bucket under a gynecological chair.
Sometimes gynecologists prescribe hot douching: with a solution with a temperature of +45 to +50 ° C. Hot fluid is well absorbed into the tissues of the mucous membrane, but is able to burn the skin. The procedure is carried out only in a medical institution, they use a Pincus washer or a Morozov tip - devices that protect the skin from discomfort due to contact with hot liquid.
Douching at home
Normal douching is easy to hold at home. Do not rely on your own feelings, it is better to buy a thermometer for water. If the solution is too cold, vaginal muscle spasms are possible.
Do not douching with boiled water. To prepare the solution, water (distilled water or bottled) must be boiled and then cooled to the desired temperature. For douching you will need 150-250 ml of liquid. Mineral water (including resorts) is used to irrigate the walls of the vagina solely for the purpose of the gynecologist.
At home, it is easier to use a syringe, but the Esmarch cup is less traumatic. You can not use a syringe or Esmarch cup, which put the enema. Before douching, you must thoroughly wash the plastic tip. To disinfect it for 1–2 minutes immersed in boiling water.
Some women prefer to douche with disposable syringes without a needle. After irrigation, the syringe is discarded; it cannot be reused.
Douching Esmarch Mug
It is most convenient to carry out the procedure while lying in the bathroom, bending the legs and putting them on the sides. Mug hang so that it is located at a height of 75-100 cm above the hips. Crane slightly open to the air out of the hose and did not get into the genital tract.
Then the valve is closed, the tip is inserted into the vagina to a depth of 5 cm and slightly open the valve. The solution should leak slowly and evenly. When the fluid completely enters, it is necessary to reduce the vaginal muscles for a second.
After the procedure, you should lower your legs, relax and lie down for 15–20 minutes.
Another option - syringing over the toilet or just over the pelvis. A woman should spread her legs, bend them at the knees and bend forward slightly. After the procedure, you need to get dressed and lie down for 15–20 minutes.
Douching as a method of contraception
Douching with vinegar or lemon juice does not protect against pregnancy. Spermatozoa die in an acidic environment, but they move too fast. To wash them from the vagina, it is necessary to do douching within one and a half minutes after sexual intercourse. It is clear that technically it is impossible.
Douching for conception
There is a perception that douching soda contributes to conception. This is only true if the woman cannot become pregnant due to the increased acidity of the vaginal environment. Soda alkalizes, making the chances of sperm survival and subsequent fertilization of the egg slightly increased.
Homemade douche soda solution is usually done from the 11th to the 18th day of the menstrual cycle and only as prescribed by the doctor. Half a teaspoon of soda is quenched in 50–70 ml of boiling water, thoroughly stirred so that not a single grain remains and topped up with 250 ml of cool water. The procedure is carried out for half an hour before intercourse.
Douching for the prevention of sexually transmitted diseases
Douching after unprotected sexual intercourse reduces the likelihood of contracting sexually transmitted infections. The sooner after the intercourse to perform irrigation, the better (optimally - within an hour after intercourse).
For the prevention of STDs use:
The drugs are sold in special bottles of 100 g, supplied with pipettes and ready for douching. However, none of these tools provides an absolute guarantee if a man is infected. Therefore, 3-4 weeks after unprotected sexual contact with an unfamiliar man, a woman should go to a dermatovenerologist and get tested.
Douching in various diseases
The most common remedies for douching are:
- Soda - with thrush (candidiasis) and vaginal dysbacteriosis. The solution for douching is prepared in the same way as for conception. The course is 5-7 days.
- Miramistin is a pharmaceutical preparation of antibacterial and antifungal action. It is prescribed for thrush.
- Chlorhexidine - pharmacy drug, ready to use. Appointed with bacterial vaginosis, colpitis, is used in pediatric gynecology.
- Hydrogen peroxide is an antibacterial agent, relieves itching and burning sensation in thrush. The substance decomposes very quickly in the light and in hot water, so the solution should be used immediately after preparation. Proportions: 30 g of peroxide (3%) to 90 g of water.
- Potassium permanganate is an effective antiseptic, but dries the mucous. For douching, 0.2 g of potassium permanganate is dissolved in 200 g of water (the liquid should be pale pink).
- Chamomile - against thrush. A tablespoon of dry herb is brewed in 300 g of water: boil for 5 minutes or infuse in a thermos for 3-4 hours, then filter.
- Oak bark - against thrush. A full teaspoon pour 300 g of water and boil for half an hour. It is allowed to douche a mixture of decoctions of chamomile and oak bark in a ratio of 1: 1.
- Celandine is an antibacterial, but poisonous agent that must be used very carefully. Helps with thrush, cervical erosion and myoma. It is best to add a pinch of dry grass in a decoction of chamomile or nettle.
- Nettle is a blood cleanser. With cervical erosion, one tablespoon of herbs is brewed in 300 g of water.
- Honey - wound healing and regenerating agent. A teaspoon of honey is added to a cooled decoction of herbs during cervical erosion and myoma.
- Aloe juice - used for cervical erosion. A teaspoon of juice is added to the cooled herbal decoction or dissolved in 200 g of warm boiled water.
Douching is not a hygienic, but a medical procedure. With the occurrence of itching, burning, suspicious vaginal discharge, it is necessary to consult a doctor. Self-treatment in such cases can seriously harm health.
Can I douche soda and how to do it
Soda is one of the frequently used gynecological problems in home remedies.
To do this, prepare a liquid of 1 tsp. powder and 200 ml of boiled water. Then the agent is introduced into the vagina, lying with raised hips and trying to hold it for 30-40 seconds. This helps to neutralize the fungus faster and get rid of the itching sensation.
Some women use soda solution to increase their chances of conception. After all, it reduces the acidity of the vagina, which means that it must favor the existence of sperm. Although it is not scientifically confirmed.
We recommend reading an article on the treatment of cervical erosion by douching. From it you will learn about the disease, its symptoms and treatment, as well as effective recipes for douching against erosion.
But it is not clear whether it is possible to douche with soda during menstruation. Indeed, in this period the thrush often becomes acute. However, it is impossible to fight vaginal irrigation on critical days with it. Soda can cause burns and pain.
Douching was once considered an effective auxiliary method of treating female diseases. But now the procedure is no longer of such importance, because there are many other means of local application. But if the doctor prescribed exactly the douching, it should be done beyond the critical days.
Is it possible to douche chamomile?
Daisy chamomile can not. This procedure is dangerous, and its effectiveness is questionable. Moreover, it is impossible to douch chamomile for various inflammations, during pregnancy and during menstruation - in such conditions, the likelihood of severe side effects from douching is especially high.
Today it has been shown that chamomile douching not only does not allow treating diseases of the vagina and uterus, but also increases the risk of developing bacterial infections. This is explained by the fact that when part of the mucous secretion in the vagina is washed out, the normal composition of the microflora is disturbed and pathogenic bacteria are more likely to survive and cause the development of infection.
On a note
According to research data, women who regularly perform douching are twice as likely to become infected with chlamydial infection than those who do not douche at all. And the frequency of inflammatory diseases of internal genital organs in women practicing douching is 73% more than in those who do not carry out these procedures.
In addition, if douching is carried out in case of inflammation of the vagina, bacteria can be brought from here to the fallopian tubes and the infection spreads through the female genitals. The antibacterial properties of chamomile are not so strong as to instantly destroy pathogens when it enters such a stream, and the risk of infection of the uterus is quite large.
Also, studies have shown that damage to the vaginal epithelium by the tip of the syringe is a predisposing factor for the development of oncology. And it is among women who regularly practice douching that there is a higher risk of ectopic pregnancy, miscarriage, and low birth weight.
At the same time, there is no reason to believe that douching in general and douching specifically with camomile or solutions of other plants (for example, calendula) help with inflammation or other diseases. The effectiveness of these procedures has not been proven, one can never confidently say that douching in general at least helps to some extent.
As a result, douche with chamomile is dangerous and useless. Modern medicine and all modern gynecologists unequivocally argue that such camomile douching should never be done under any diseases. Including, it is not necessary to use such treatment for:
- Monthly - during the discharge, the risk of infection of the ovary infection and the development of adnexitis is particularly high, and at any time, including on the last day of the month,
- Pregnancy, both in the early and late periods - at this time douching increases the risk of abnormal development of the fetus and the birth of a child with insufficient weight,
- After an abortion, including those made by scraping. After cleansing, the risk of syringing side effects is especially great.
- In case of inflammations of an unexplained dislocation - in this case there is not even certainty that the solution can in principle be able to get into the place of inflammation (for example, in case of cystitis),
- After childbirth - this procedure can lead to complications and undesirable consequences,
- Endometriosis - studies show that douching increases the risk of developing this disease,
- Cervical erosion - not only do the procedures themselves contribute to the development of this disease, they also can aggravate its severity,
- Various unpleasant sensations - burning, itching, abnormal discharge, pulling pain in the lower abdomen,
Obviously, it is impossible to do douching for the prevention of any diseases - this procedure not only protects against any infections and pathologies of non-infectious nature, but also increases the risk of their development.
It is also obvious that there is no safe frequency of chamomile douches.
Even if these procedures are performed once and rarely, for example, when a woman wants to syringe once after another treatment, they do not help fight the pathologies, but the risk of side effects from them persists. Therefore, it is impossible to talk about how often it is worth douching chamomile - it should not douche at all.
Finally, it is important to understand that it is as harmful to douche with chamomile as it is to douche with any other solution and drug.
Undesirable procedure itself, and not the solution that is used with it, whether it is infusion, decoction or a mixed solution with a complex composition.
Therefore, it is not necessary to replace chamomile with anything - you need to replace the procedures themselves with a safer, more effective and modern treatment. What exactly, the doctor should find out only and only after the diagnosis in the clinic.
- N. Seppa - Douching associated with pregnancy risk. Science News, 1999.
- Marian Rengel - Encyclopedia of birth control.
- Encyclopedia of Women's Health - Berezovskaya EP
How to douche: the most important features and rules
Douching is a controversial procedure, which, however, is popular with women of different ages. This article will describe how to douche properly, what indications and contraindications this procedure has, and also lists various arguments of gynecologists about its feasibility and harm for women carrying a child.
The essence of the procedure
Douching is washing the vagina with various drugs in liquid form. It should be emphasized that it is not considered as a regular vaginal cleansing, the human body is not "dirty."
Frequent douching "for prevention" is a health risk. A woman's body is able to self-clean. The protective secret that is secreted in the vaginal mucosa is removed, it is a natural process.
For daily hygiene, a woman needs nothing but a shower. If itching, peculiar smell, burning sensation are absent, douching is absolutely not recommended as a preventive measure. When such unpleasant symptoms should identify the cause, because it is often a sign of infection, fungal diseases, inflammation.
It is not possible to make a diagnosis without a smear and a gynecologist's examination, because self-medication in the form of douching is unacceptable.
Indications for use
Dosages are prescribed by the physician for secretions from the genital tract, which are observed in vaginitis, vulvovaginitis, endocervicitis, adnexitis, and also in cases of non-inflammatory origin.
- для избавления от продуктов распада при заболеваниях женской половой сферы воспалительного характера,
- для удаления спермы для предохранения от беременности,
- for the introduction of a therapeutic solution to restore the mucous membrane and part of the cervix.
What solutions and preparations can be used?
During the procedure, use:
- 2-5% solution of potassium permanganate - 1 tbsp. l per liter of boiled water
- salt solution - 2 tsp. per liter of boiled water
- a solution of bicarbonate soda - 1-2 tsp. per liter of boiled water
- boric acid solution - 2 tsp. per liter of boiled water
- tannin solution - 1-2 tsp. per liter of boiled water
- salt and soda solution (hypertonic). The concentration of salt and soda should be clarified with the gynecologist and strictly observe that there is no burn of the mucous membrane,
- zinc sulfate solution - 1 tbsp. l per liter of boiled water
- decoctions of calendula, chamomile, celandine, thyme, dioecious nettle, a series of tripartite, a pine uterus, wormwood, sage, St. John's wort, yarrow, burdock root, oak bark. Douching with infusions and decoctions prepared from the listed medicinal plants, they often treat thrush in combination with other drugs,
- drug solutions: Malavita, Rotokan, Tsiteala, Tantum Rose, Vagotila, Romazulan, Chlorhexidine, Furacilin, Miramistina, Chlorophyllipta, Dekasana. They are characterized by antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal effects, successfully fighting external infectious agents.
After douching, the acid-base environment in the vagina changes, pathogens cannot survive and multiply with a change in ph.
The reason for the effectiveness of decoctions of herbs (chamomile, etc.) - in saponins, which have anti-inflammatory effect. Alkaline reaction does not occur, because neither irritation nor dryness occurs.
For douching, it is necessary to prepare: a syringe (or an Esmarch mug, in their absence - a 20-cc syringe without a needle), a straight or curved tip, a vessel, a thermometer, a medicinal solution of the desired temperature.
All instruments must be sanitized so that they are sterile.
It would not be superfluous to remind you that the syringe should be personal, and if there are several women in the family, each one should have their own. After each treatment, wash the pear (or the Esmarch cup) and the tip with hot running water. Immediately before douching, it is necessary to boil the parts of the instruments in contact with the body.
If the pear is used for douching, it should not be used subsequently for enemas or microcephalism, it should be used with only one purpose. Using a disposable syringe, do not need to use it twice.
If pain, discomfort, unusual discharge occurs during the procedure, a woman should consult a gynecologist and not self-treat.
How to douche: detailed instructions
The procedure is carried out according to the scheme determined by your doctor. You can not exceed the number of recommended syringing to:
- do not wash off the protective grease
- not to violate the microflora and not to create favorable conditions for the reproduction of alien microorganisms,
- do not provoke an allergic reaction,
- do not traumatize the mucous membrane of the uterus, vagina,
- prevent the development of endometritis, endometriosis.
It is better to choose the dormant position for douching - in it you can achieve maximum relaxation of the vaginal muscles, which will prevent the occurrence of pain and discomfort. It is necessary to pour a solution into the Esmarkh mug or a syringe, and insert the tip into the vagina. When compressing the syringe, a jet of liquid will enter it.
Adjust the pressure so as not to damage the delicate mucosa and so that water does not penetrate into the uterine cavity. It is recommended to perform the procedure before bedtime.
Contraindications to the procedure
Contraindications for douching are:
- pregnancy (especially the first trimester),
- the first 1-2 months after delivery,
- inflammatory diseases of the genital organs (in the acute period of the course), wounds of the perineum, vagina,
- time of menstruation and within 2-3 days after it,
- age from 40 years and older (possibly increased dryness and irritation),
- first month after abortion.
Do not douche for a long period (more than 10 days). Douching, which takes more than 1 week, leads to desquamation of epithelial cells in the vagina (they contain glycogen, and this becomes an obstacle to the restoration of microflora).
Can I douche during pregnancy?
The answer to the question about the feasibility of douching during pregnancy does not lie on the surface, some prohibit the procedure due to the risk of miscarriage.
However, there are doctors who recommend it as a harmless remedy for candidiasis, considering soda douching to be a wonderful adjunct against diseases in the female genital area.
Thrush (candidiasis) is caused by the fungus Candida and often annoys pregnant women.
There is no categorical ban on douching during pregnancy, however, self-medication during childbirth is unacceptable. Every woman should take into account that this procedure should be prescribed by a doctor, and if there are doubts about his competence, it is worth contacting another gynecologist.
When a woman is expecting a child, especially in the first trimester of pregnancy, any medical intervention is dangerous, since it can negatively affect the condition of the fetus.
Some doctors consider douching with grass decoctions, soda, or weak antibacterial solutions as an adequate alternative to taking antibiotics and other drugs.
It seems plausible to explain the prohibition of douching during pregnancy by washing out the natural microflora of the vagina and reducing its protective functions, which can lead to reproduction of pathogens of various infections. Due to the violation of the barrier in the path of microorganisms, they can penetrate through the cervix into the fallopian tubes, and then into the uterine cavity
It is believed that with the flow of water that flushes the infection, pathogenic microorganisms can enter the uterus, leading to intrauterine infection. Although there is evidence that a traffic jam is a reliable barrier for a child from outside invasions, the risk can not be called justified.
Some doctors prescribe during pregnancy douching with chamomile or soda due to the fact that these funds do not have a negative effect on the fetus, helping to get rid of the annoying symptoms of thrush. It is not difficult to carry out such treatment yourself, but it is important to carry it out correctly so as not to harm yourself and the baby.
If you still intend to carry out the procedure at home or in a hospital, then you should be very careful when injecting the treatment solution under minimal pressure. It is necessary to try to clarify all the nuances of the gynecologist, let an experienced doctor explain in detail how to properly douche at home.
- Before douche with chamomile or other solution at home for the treatment of the disease, you should consult your doctor. The temperature of the solution should be monitored with a water thermometer.
- Adhere to the treatment regimen established by the gynecologist.
The procedure should not last more than 10 minutes, and the entire course - no more than 7 days, the number of daily irrigations should be strictly metered. The concentration of the solution should be strictly observed, not exceeding the dosage of the drug.
Woman's health is in her hands!
You might also like ...
All about douching - is it possible to do it, how to properly douche
Do gynecologists, there are two opposing views on the benefits and harm of douching for the female body. Some are categorically against such a procedure, others consider it appropriate to conduct it, but only in specific cases as part of complex therapy for certain diseases of the female genital organs.
What is douching and how to douche properly?
Douching - what is it? This is the deliberate introduction of various solutions into the vagina. A pharmacy rubber bulb with a tip, a special syringe are usually used to hold it, an Esmarch mug can be used for irrigation, and some women use disposable 20 vat syringes without a needle for syringing. So how to do douching?
Basics of proper douching
- Water. Water for dilution of the solution should be warm, not cold and not in any way hot.
- Duration of treatment.
3 - 5 days, maximum 7, otherwise you can "wash" everything up to absolute sterility, as well as prolonged douching contribute to the desquamation of vaginal epithelial cells that have glycogen, which can slow down the restoration of normal microflora. The duration of the procedure. Douching time is usually 10-15 minutes.
If the fluid comes under strong pressure, it can more easily penetrate beyond the cervix, which is fraught with the occurrence of inflammatory processes in a woman. Water flow is easier to control if you use an Esmarkh mug (irrigator) - this is a bottle, a plastic tube and a tip, and not a syringe, in which the tip is connected directly to a pear.
If you use a syringe, the container should be compressed, and the liquid will still go under pressure. But in the Esmarch circle, the flow pressure can be controlled by slightly lowering or lifting the rubber vessel. Processing equipment for douching. After each procedure, the tip, pear, Esmarch cup should be thoroughly rinsed, and the tip should also be boiled for 1-2 minutes before each use. Use accessories only for this purpose.. If you started using a pear, syringe or other device for this procedure, never use it afterwards for an enema or microclyster, it should be used only for douching. If you are using a disposable syringe without a needle, do not reuse it. be careful. Carry out the procedure should be slowly, carefully, carefully. Entering the tip, you can not make significant efforts. The procedure should not cause pain, if you are in pain, then you should wait a bit and try to relax. With sudden, rapid movements there is a risk of damage to the walls of the vagina or bladder. Comfortable posture. It is more convenient to do douching - lying in the bathroom, putting your feet on the edges of the bathroom. You can also make douching while sitting on the toilet seat, while raising a filled mug slightly higher than the waist. In this case, the douching solution will be poured and poured out of the vagina under the action of gravity only and the fluid will not be able to get into the cervix.
After each procedure, the tip, pear, Esmarch cup should be thoroughly rinsed, and the tip should also be boiled for 1-2 minutes before each use. Use accessories only for this purpose..
If you started using a pear, syringe or other device for this procedure, never use it afterwards for an enema or microclyster, it should be used only for douching. If you are using a disposable syringe without a needle, do not reuse it. be careful.
Carry out the procedure should be slowly, carefully, carefully. Entering the tip, you can not make significant efforts. The procedure should not cause pain, if you are in pain, then you should wait a bit and try to relax. With sudden, rapid movements there is a risk of damage to the walls of the vagina or bladder. Comfortable posture. It is more convenient to do douching - lying in the bathroom, putting your feet on the edges of the bathroom. You can also make douching while sitting on the toilet seat, while raising a filled mug slightly higher than the waist. In this case, the douching solution will be poured and poured out of the vagina under the action of gravity only and the fluid will not be able to get into the cervix.
It is more convenient to do douching - lying in the bathroom, putting your feet on the edges of the bathroom. You can also make douching while sitting on the toilet seat, while raising a filled mug slightly higher than the waist. In this case, the douching solution will be poured and poured out of the vagina under the action of gravity only and the fluid will not be able to get into the cervix.
Is it possible to do douching at all?
You can not use douching for the so-called "vaginal cleansing", getting rid of secretions. The female body can not be "dirty." Some women often do douching enough to remove unnecessary secretions. This is not only not advisable, but not safe.
The human body, and the vagina in particular, has the ability to self-cleaning, the viscous protective secretion secreted by the mucous membrane of the vagina, self-removes, and is a natural cleanser. Therefore, to maintain the microbiological purity of the vagina from a woman does not require any additional action, except for the daily shower, washing.
If there are no unpleasant sensations, such as a burning sensation, itching in the vagina, an unpleasant smell, then it is impossible to practice prophylactic douching.
At the same time, it is necessary to determine the cause of the discomfort that has appeared, most often these are infections, bacterial vaginosis, candidiasis, etc., which cannot be determined without a specialist and specific tests.
Therefore, it is not advisable to self-medicate in the form of douching without a thorough diagnosis.
- You can not douche just to cleanse the vagina from the discharge.
- You can not start self-douching without the recommendation of a gynecologist, without specifying the reasons for the appearance of any discomfort, self-treatment can only worsen the situation.
- You can not douche on the eve of a visit to a gynecologist, because the results of the tests will be unreliable.
- In acute inflammatory processes of the female genital organs - acute adnexitis (see inflammation of the appendages, symptoms and treatment), endometritis is absolutely impossible to do douching.
- During periods when women go through menstruation, during pregnancy, 40 days after delivery, the period after abortion is the time when douching is contraindicated.
- Frequent douches wash out the natural protective lubricant, change the pH, violate the microflora in the vagina, contributing to the rapid reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms, destructive force is equivalent to the uncontrolled use of systemic antibiotics.
- Also, persistent douching increases the risk of allergic reactions.
- From frequent douching increases the risk of injury to the bladder, cervix, irritation of the vaginal walls.
- Numerous studies conducted by the international gynecological associations have established a link between frequent douching and an increase in the development of various inflammatory diseases of the female genital organs, such as:
- bacterial vaginitis
since excessive rinsing can free the cervix from the protective plug, dissolving it, various infections more quickly enter the uterine cavity through the cervix. According to the results of these studies, 70% of women suffering from chronic diseases of the reproductive system, had a habit of douching once a week.
Doctors obstetricians and gynecologists categorically prohibit douche during pregnancy, for the following reasons:
- During pregnancy, the number of blood vessels increases on the inner surface of the uterus; accordingly, the risk of air entering through the cervical canal increases during the procedure of douching.
- Douching can deliver chemicals to the fetus that can have a negative effect on a growing body, and the risk of damage to the amniotic membrane also increases.
- The risk of thrush - vaginal candidiasis, bacterial vaginosis (discharge with the smell of fish) and other vaginal infections due to douching during pregnancy is very high and this can cause transmission from mother to fetus, which increases the likelihood of premature birth and other pathologies of pregnancy.
Douching after the act - a contraceptive and protection against STD infections?
Many women believe that douching after sex with various acids helps to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
Neither apple cider vinegar, nor citric acid and juice, nor mineral water, nor salt and soda are effective contraceptives. Douching can not prevent pregnancy.
Even if a woman rushes to flush the vagina immediately after intercourse, at this time part of the sperm is already penetrating the uterus, this is a very fast process that cannot be outstripped.
As for douching as protection against sexually transmitted infections, it is also an unreliable remedy.
If a woman has unprotected sex with a dubious partner, then it is possible to perform douching with a solution of antiseptics Miramistin and Chlorhexidine.
However, there is no convincing research confirming 100% STI prevention with such syringing. Also abusing this method of prevention of genital infections is not worth it, you can get a burn of the vaginal mucosa.
This emergency procedure, of course, is best done, but no later than two hours after contact. Для этого необходимо провести тщательный туалет половых органов и спринцеваться Мираместином в течение 15 минут, используя 10 мл раствора. Причем, через час эту процедуру надо повторить.
If after this measure, any doubts arise, there will be no ordinary discharge or discomfort, do not postpone the visit to the doctor. The best prevention of any genital infections and highly effective barrier contraceptives are recognized worldwide quality condoms.
Douching for inflammation and genital infections
As a monotherapy, douching in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the female genital organs is clearly ineffective, since any gynecological diseases need complex therapy, both local and systemic. It is foolish to hope to cure serious sexually transmitted infections or inflammatory processes only by syringing.
For many women, such a treatment as douching seems to be very affordable and cheap, a good alternative to antibiotics, without which the therapy of genital infections is impossible.
However, the causative agents of chlamydia, ureaplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, trichomoniasis can be located intracellularly, deep in the tissues of the human body, therefore, external exposure to therapeutic fluids is almost not effective.
In addition, changing the normal composition of the vaginal microflora during douching increases the risk of further progression of these diseases.
There are special medicines for douching that have antiseptic, antimicrobial properties, such as Miramistin, Chlorophyllipt, Vagothyl.
Despite the fact that these are concentrated antimicrobial solutions, using only these means, it is impossible to cure any disease of the female genital sphere.
They are used to prevent infection after an accidental unprotected intercourse, only as early as possible after coitus, then the risk of contracting an STI is reduced by 70%. However, to apply this method of protection against infection as douching on an ongoing basis is impossible.
Douching for endometriosis
A similar situation with endometriosis, this disease also depends on the action of female sex hormones and the treatment of endometriosis should be aimed at normalizing the hormonal status of the woman.
There is no convincing evidence of the effect of douching with herbs for endometriosis, and there is also an assumption that, on the contrary, douching promotes the separation of endometrial cells outside the uterus, which forms the foci of endometriosis.
Douching during, after menstruation
Categorically it is impossible to douche during menstruation. Despite the fact that some women find it logical to perform a special cleaning of the vagina after or during menstruation, it is dangerous to do so. During menstruation, the cervix is ajar and the risk of infection penetrating the uterus increases significantly.
Douching with soda for conception - nothing is justified
Normal vaginal microflora creates the most favorable environment for the successful promotion of sperm, and douching with baking soda from a scientific, and from a practical point of view, can not contribute to the early occurrence of pregnancy. Moreover, washing out the optimal environment for conception only reduces the chances of successful fertilization.SharePinTweetSendSendSend