Menstruation - this is a normal process in the body of each of the fair sex, although many women perceive them as punishment or "punishment from heaven." They can be understood, because the critical days deliver not only discomfort, poor health, but also pain, and in some cases even severe pain.
Each woman chooses for herself the method of dealing with negative symptoms of menstruation and premenstrual syndrome. Someone uses painkillers, someone just does not go out and the whole period is in bed, but very often women can use alcohol to relieve pain. But is it possible to drink alcohol during menstruation, try to understand this article.
Features of female physiology
To begin with, we will make a small digression and consider what menstruation is and what factors it influences.
The first critical days occur in girls aged 12-14 years, at this time, their reproductive stage begins, which ends with the last menstrual age of approximately 50-55 years. The presence of menstruation suggests that the female reproductive system is working properly, and the woman herself has every chance of getting pregnant and carrying out the child.
The average duration of the menstrual cycle is 28 days, but it can vary between 21-35 days and this is the norm, because it is not the duration of the cycle that is important, but its regularity. During critical days, the female body is renewed, the uterus gets rid of excess endometrium, which comes out in the form of blood and clots. The process of "cleansing" lasts 3-7 days. He is under the control of the pituitary gland, which synthesizes hormones that are necessary for the work of the female body.
Many factors can influence the duration, volume and intensity of pain during menstruation:
- general health of a woman
- psychological and emotional state
- atmosphere at home and at work
- ecological situation,
- bad habits, especially the effects of alcohol and cigarettes,
- improper nutrition.
In normal monthly pass with mild discomfort, without any pronounced symptoms. But with a certain combination of the above factors, excruciating pains in the sacrum and lower abdomen, weakness, drowsiness, and poor health may occur.
Alcohol consumption on a monthly basis
Women can drink alcohol during menstruation with a different purpose. Sometimes this period simply overlaps with the celebration of an important event, and some women use alcohol as an anesthetic for severe pain during menstruation. Each of these reasons is not significant, because in any case alcohol has a negative effect on the body. Consider how alcohol affects a woman during her period.
If a woman drank a light alcohol or beer during menstruation, then definitely it will increase the intensity of discharge. If alcohol was drunk not on the first, but on the penultimate-last critical day, then the menstruation may last for another 1-2 days.
When menstruation occurs, women may experience various symptoms caused by hormonal changes. This can be headache, pain in the lower abdomen and in the back, which are also caused by changes in the nervous tissue and contractions of the uterine muscles, poor health and breast swelling. If a woman is sure that it is symptoms of critical days, and not another pathology, then it is quite acceptable to drink a glass of wine to relieve stress and improve emotional state. If the pain is very strong, then you should not blunt them with alcohol, since they can indicate the presence of diseases of the uterus or its appendages. Alcohol can cover up the exacerbation of a disease, and miss the moment to cure it.
You can not combine alcohol with painkillers, since the reaction of each organism may be different. Such a combination can cause allergies, an increase or decrease in blood pressure and other consequences, which we will discuss further.
Consequences of drinking alcohol
The effects of alcohol consumption during menstruation can be very different, because alcohol affects the entire body of a woman, without exception, especially during a period when its protective functions are significantly reduced. Alcohol, drunk on critical days, can cause the following pathologies and negative processes in the female body:
- alcohol can lead to vasospasm, which will block the release of fluids from the tissues. As a result, swelling occurs, blood pressure drops, and the woman’s well-being deteriorates significantly,
- Alcohol is really dull pain for a short time, but no more than half an hour, while the passage of nerve impulses is blocked along the nerve endings. But with a decrease in the effect of alcohol, a woman’s condition deteriorates dramatically, because the pain does not go anywhere, but only disguises,
- during menstruation a woman has an imbalance of estrogen and progesterone in the body, which causes emotional highs, depressions and irritability, drinking alcohol only increases psycho-emotional imbalance,
- If you treat the pain of premenstrual syndrome with alcohol, this can significantly affect the cycle. However, it may become as irregular, and its duration will change,
- alcohol has a diuretic property, and during menstruation it is possible exacerbation of chronic cystitis, or simply frequent and painful urination occurs, so alcohol can only worsen a woman’s well-being.
In some cases, the use of even small doses of alcohol during menstruation is strictly prohibited:
- abundant and long periods,
- frequent delay of menstruation,
- small duration of the period between critical days,
- inflammatory processes in the urea,
- severe pain during menstruation, the cause of which can be not so much a delicate period as a serious illness.
How alcohol affects your period
No specialist has any doubt that alcohol during menstruation is harmful to the female body. This question is repeatedly discussed in the specialized literature and is confirmed by a multitude of studies, but at the moment there is no reliable information about the specific allowable dosage of alcohol consumption during menstruation. Consider how alcohol can affect a woman who uses it during critical days:
- due to alcohol, the duration of menstrual flow may increase by 2-3 days,
- if a woman tries to cope with the pains caused by premenstrual syndrome by drinking alcohol, then there can be a delay in menstruation for a period from several hours to several days,
- the use of strong alcohol unambiguously becomes the cause of increased bleeding. Studies show that normally a woman loses up to 250 ml of blood in one menstruation, but after trying to eliminate the pain syndrome with vodka, brandy or any other strong alcoholic beverage, blood loss reaches 600 ml. This is a significant amount of blood, the loss of which can greatly affect a woman’s well-being,
- During menstruation, many women may experience blood pressure spikes, because of alcohol, such a condition can only get worse, because alcohol causes dilation of blood vessels and then their spasm, especially when combined with smoking cigarettes, which is very often accompanied by drinking excessive amounts alcoholic beverages.
If we talk about wines, then there are still disagreements among specialists, since some consider them to be useful and even necessary for blood loss, while others refer to alcoholic and, accordingly, forbidden to drink during monthly drinks. In fact, the mechanism of red wine's influence on the hormonal background of a woman during menstrual flow has not been studied enough, so even though it helps to improve blood clotting and restore its circulation in blood vessels, it is better to use wine in limited quantities, with great care and only dry.
Alcohol Use Rules
The activity of the female body does not depend on the holiday dates in the calendar, it has no days off, so it often happens that the period of menstruation is at the time of the festivities with feasts and, of course, drinking. The best option would be a complete rejection of the use of beer and strong alcohol, but sometimes a woman just wants to pamper herself a little. In such cases, the following rules for drinking alcohol during critical days should be taken into account:
- According to experts, red wine has a beneficial effect on the recovery of the body after blood loss, but this does not mean that you need to drink a whole bottle of wine. To activate the recovery function, it is enough to consume a glass of red wine, preferably dry or semi-dry, for the whole evening. Wine is useful only in small quantities, you can drink no more than 0.15-0.2 liters per evening,
- the use of whiskey, cognac, rum, vodka should be strictly limited, as strong alcoholic beverages adversely affect the female body. Also, you can not drink cocktails based on them,
- you should not drink champagne during this period, because it can cause intestinal distention, which is highly undesirable during menstruation, because enlarged colon loops can put pressure on the uterus and thereby increase bleeding,
- drinking beer during critical days is also not worth it, although it is not a strong alcoholic drink, but it causes fermentation, and excessive consumption of beer with an inopportune emptying of the bladder can cause pressure on the uterus and increased bleeding,
- during parties and holidays, you should be calm, dance slow dances, not take part in competitions related to excessive physical activity,
- no way to smoke. The combination of alcohol and tobacco adversely affects the walls of blood vessels, which leads to increased bleeding. Cigarettes can provoke spasms of blood vessels in the brain and, as a result, to problems with the central nervous system,
- when drinking alcohol during critical days, a woman needs to drink an additional large amount of water and juices in order to increase the work of the excretory system and increase the volume of liquid blood. Such measures help to reduce the impact of alcohol on the female body,
- on drinking with the use of alcohol, you need to eat lean fish, meat with steamed vegetables or vegetable salads, that is, the food should be light and quickly digestible.
Rules of conduct during critical days
To reduce the manifestations of the unpleasant symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and menstruation itself, you need to practice some tips from gynecologists. Their recommendations are very simple and with careful observance they really help to cope with the discomfort associated with the onset of menstruation. Experts give the following tips:
- during menstruation, it is desirable to follow a diet. A woman should not eat fatty and spicy food, fried foods and pastries are not recommended. You also need to exclude from the diet those foods that can cause fermentation, bloating and increased gas formation, as well as cause constipation or diarrhea,
- to compensate for blood loss during menstruation, it is imperative to adhere to the drinking regime. It is best to use juices, pure water or green tea. Some women have a question, is it possible to restore the water balance with beer, the answer is definitely “no”, because beer belongs to low-alcohol beverages that do not benefit even healthy people, not to mention the weakened body of a woman during critical days. Drinking beer can only increase blood loss and cause problems with the stool,
- it is impossible to prevent stagnation of feces and urine, because during menstruation any problems with excretion of waste products may cause an impact on the uterus and, as a result, cause an increase in bleeding,
- You should not overly expose the female body to excessive physical exertion, to keep the body in shape you can walk on foot and do your favorite household chores.
Some women think that alcohol can relieve menstrual pain and other manifestations of critical days, but this is a misconception that can, on the contrary, harm health. With a pronounced pain syndrome during menstruation, you should definitely seek medical help, because in 15-20% of cases this may be a sign of a woman having sexual problems that require special treatment.
In this delicate time, a woman should not even use drugs with an alcohol content, and not something that alcoholic beverages. To restore blood loss, you can drink a glass of red wine, but not earlier than 2-3 days after their termination. If a woman has any controversial questions regarding diet, drinking and other aspects of life during the onset of menstruation, the advice is better to ask a specialist in female consultation.