Very often periods in women after childbirth become abundant and too long. Young mothers are worried about how normal this situation is, what it may indicate, what consequences it leads to and what should be undertaken by a woman in such cases.
The first time after birth for about 1.5–2 months, there are no monthly periods for women who have given birth to the baby. Especially if they are breastfeeding during this period. This pause is called lactational amenorrhea, during which the intensive production of prolactin by the body suppresses the production of estrogen, which is responsible for the functioning of the ovaries and the maturation of the follicles. If a woman does not interrupt breastfeeding even after two months of feeding, and still continues to feed the baby at his request, then the periods appear much later. But earlier the introduction of complementary foods, reducing the number of feedings reduce the production of prolactin and contribute to the earlier appearance of menstruation.
Intense discharge - is this normal or not?
Very often, the first discharge becomes unusually long and abundant. This is caused by hormonal changes occurring in the female body and physiological changes that occur with the uterus and neck during childbirth. The expansion of the cervical canal causes a more voluminous discharge than before pregnancy. An increase in the size of the uterus leads to endometrial hyperplasia, which also affects the amount of discharge.
Normalization of the menstrual cycle is directly dependent on the process of postpartum recovery of the body. Therefore, good nutrition during pregnancy and lactation, compliance with sleep and rest will help to normalize the flow of menstruation faster.
Not every discharge after childbirth doctors consider abundant, even if the amount of menses significantly exceeds the one that was before pregnancy. If the first menstruation lasts no more than seven days, and 3-4 standard pads per day are enough to absorb secretions, then such menstruations are considered normal. The most important thing is that the color of the discharge and its consistency should not differ from those that occurred during menstruation before pregnancy.
And if the discharge has an unpleasant odor or an unusual color (brownish or too bright scarlet), is too intense and lasts longer than 7 days, then the woman should consult a gynecologist for help in determining the causes of menstrual irregularities and prescribe the appropriate treatment. Do not ignore this problem, as in some cases, in order to eliminate the cause that caused too strong periods, you may need inpatient treatment.
The main causes of heavy menstruation
Most often, abundant periods after childbirth occur in women, during the birth of which there were various complications. Since the occurrence of problematic situations during childbirth somewhat complicates and delays the process of postnatal recovery of the body, the normalization of the cycle will take longer.
- The placenta, which did not fully leave during childbirth, or remnants of the amniotic bladder, remaining in the uterus, not only provoke the development of inflammation and other diseases, but also affect the nature of subsequent menstruation. Therefore, abundant periods after childbirth can cause curettage of the uterus. The bright scarlet color of the discharge and pain in the lower abdomen of the cramping character, extending to the lumbar region, an increase in body temperature are among the symptoms of endometritis.
- The course of menstruation after childbirth can be greatly affected by the presence of chronic diseases in the parturient woman, as well as diseases of the reproductive system, for example, various inflammatory processes, neoplasms.
- The scar remaining on the uterus after a cesarean section makes it difficult to reduce it, which also provokes intense discharge.
- The use of the intrauterine device in the form of a contraceptive method can provoke an abundant and painful discharge, reinforcing uterine contractions.
Among other reasons that provoke intense discharge after childbirth, you can call these:
- poor quality nutrition of women during pregnancy, which caused a lack of vitamins and trace elements in the body,
- the presence of hidden pathologies,
- iron deficiency anemia during pregnancy,
- stress, lack of sleep.
The cause of intense bleeding, which a woman may confuse with menstrual flow, may be an ectopic pregnancy. Therefore, in the case of excessively intense menstruation, a woman should immediately see a doctor.
Possible problems and treatment
Of course, a large blood loss, which is caused by prolonged and abundant menstruation, is very harmful for the mother of the woman. If instead of the standard 50–80 milliliters a woman loses more blood, it can cause iron deficiency anemia.
Low levels of hemoglobin adversely affect the overall condition of the body. In addition to the fall of immunity, it is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- drowsiness increases,
- there is often a weakness
- increased fatigue
- body tone falls,
- dyspnea appears,
- there is excessive irritability and nervousness,
- tachycardia is often observed,
- intensive hair loss begins and brittle nails are enhanced, the skin condition worsens.
Of course, treatment of the symptoms of the disease will be ineffective without removing the underlying cause of its occurrence.
Therefore, the doctor first of all conducts a survey of the woman’s body, including using an ultrasound scan to identify the main cause of the disease.
In addition to prescriptions for the treatment of the main cause of heavy menstruation, the doctor is likely to prescribe hemostatic and iron-containing drugs, as well as drugs that stimulate the blood formation and hemoglobin level.
To replenish the level of iron in the body of a woman requires enhanced nutrition. Be sure to use foods such as beef, liver, buckwheat, beans, peas, eggs, fish, black bread, pomegranate, beets and others containing large amounts of iron.
Despite the fact that the first menstruation after childbirth is almost always more intense than before pregnancy, a woman should definitely control the amount of discharge, their color and consistency. Any deviations from the norm can be a symptom of the presence of an inflammatory process in the body. If time does not identify the problem and do not take appropriate measures, then the started disease can cause serious complications and impaired reproductive function of the body. At the same time, timely treatment allows you to quickly get rid of complications and speed up postnatal recovery of the woman's body after the birth of a child.
Features postpartum menstruation
It does not matter which way a newborn was born - naturally or through a cesarean section. The mother always starts bleeding, the cause of which is placental abruption. The process of delivery injures the uterus, inside it is a wound. For complete healing, she needs a new endometrium. What a woman sees after giving birth is not a real menstruation. These are lochia that last up to 40 days.
Initially, bloody lochia gradually becomes colorless. If blood is again secreted from the genital tract, this indicates the beginning of the first postpartum menstruation, or the development of pathology. Consider what factors affect the duration of the onset of menstruation in the postpartum period:
- Features of pregnancy and childbirth.
- Duration of lactation. When breastfeeding mothers start bleeding after 6 - 12 months. If the baby has early switched to artificial feeding, the monthly period of the mother will go in 5-8 weeks.
- The mode of feeding the baby. Breast attachment on demand and late introduction of complementary foods delay the arrival of critical days.
- The presence of serious diseases of the reproductive system that a woman faced before pregnancy or acquired them later.
- Heredity. Monthly after a baby is born, a young woman appears at about the same time as a mother or grandmother.
If menstruation was painful before pregnancy, after birth, this problem can be resolved on its own. Bend the neck and other anomalies that interfere with the free flow of blood, disappear for the reason that the uterus stretches during the growth of the fetus and does not squeeze the nerve endings. After giving birth, a woman notes the absence of menstrual pain.
If after childbirth the monthly periods have become more abundant, this is due to an increase in the volume of the uterine cavity. The area becomes larger due to the stretching of the body. The amount of internal mucosa also increases. All this leads to prolonged heavy menstruation.
In the postpartum period, the uterus is gradually reduced and by the beginning of the first menstrual period, its size is restored to those values that were before pregnancy. For several months in a row, bleeding may be irregular and of different duration. In the absence of symptoms of gynecological diseases, such behavior of the reproductive system will not be a deviation.
In the period of postpartum daub, before the cycle is established, the woman should carefully take care of contraception. Re-conception a few months after giving birth exhausts the weakened body even more and often ends in miscarriage.
Why monthly after childbirth go abundantly
The first periods after childbirth can be very abundant for various reasons:
- Cesarean section.
- Uterine fibroids.
- Excess weight.
- Reduced immunity.
- The change in the balance of prolactin.
- Incorrect flow of metabolic processes.
- Natural childbirth, but complicated.
- Poor nutrition during pregnancy.
- Iron-deficiency anemia.
- Malignant neoplasms in the uterus and appendages.
- The proliferation of cysts and polyps, which before birth were small.
- Chronic diseases not cured before childbirth.
- Disruption of the pituitary, thyroid and pancreas.
- Polyp of the placenta (particles grow to the uterine lining).
- Inflammatory and infectious diseases of the genital sphere (scars, adhesions, cystic cavities entail menstrual failures and make bleeding abundant, the infection is entered into the genitals with obstetric instruments or penetrates through gaps).
When there are heavy periods with clots after childbirth, it is likely that the woman has endometrial hyperplasia.
The disease occurs against the background of hormonal disorders or birth injuries. The treatment in this case takes place in the form of a curettage procedure, which diagnoses the presence of a neoplasm and prevents heavy blood loss. Hormone therapy is practiced after the completion of lactation.
For the treatment of anemia, the doctor prescribes iron supplements and makes recommendations on the organization of daily routine and proper nutrition. A healthy lifestyle, treatment of chronic pathologies and lack of stress accelerate postpartum recovery of menstrual function.
Clots with an unpleasant odor, which are released from the genital tract along with cramping pain, can be particles of the placenta. Concentrating in the uterus and beginning to decompose, they become sources of infection. Sometimes foul-smelling clots are a sign of endometriosis.
The reason for the urgent treatment to the doctor
Normally, the first periods after childbirth should be moderate. If during the day a woman uses several pads, and the bleeding lasts no more than a week, this is normal menstruation. But if critical days are delayed for 10 or more days, the type of discharge is alarming, and one's own feelings are disturbed, it is urgent to consult a gynecologist.
Immediate visit to the doctor is recommended and if you have the following symptoms:
- One gasket is not enough for 2 hours (daily blood loss of more than 20 ml).
- The color of blood is scarlet, bright.
- Unjustly body temperature rises.
- Intensive blood loss is observed for more than 7 days.
- In the menstrual flow there are clots, purulent mucus, lumps, foam.
- The contents of the gasket has a peculiar odor.
- Dirty between the monthly with constant pain in the lower abdomen and in the lumbar region (discomfort increases during menstruation).
- Abundant intermenstrual bleeding with sharp pain in the lower part of the body.
If the child is half a year old, he switched to artificial feeding a few weeks ago, and the cycle is not restored, the mother should also discuss this situation with the doctor. The lack of time to visit the antenatal clinic and the neglect of heavy periods after childbirth lead to major health problems. The first is iron deficiency anemia.
Symptoms of iron deficiency in the body are as follows:
- Pale skin.
- Dryness and hair loss.
- Brittle nails.
- Fast fatiguability.
For the prevention of the dangerous effects of anemia, doctors prescribe drugs that stop bleeding (hemostatics) and vitamin complexes that replenish iron stores. Given that excessive monthly discharge often indicates a disease, the patient is referred to a pelvic ultrasound and a blood test for hormones.
After childbirth are abundant periods: what to do
If after birth the periods began to go more abundantly than before, the doctor will tell you what to do in this case. First of all, you need to review the diet and enter a large amount of fortified food in the menu. Especially useful products enriched with iron. Every woman should eat fresh vegetables and fruits.
If the diet is powerless, and the anemia with heavy bleeding continues to bother the patient, she is prescribed hemostatic drugs:
But it is best to take care of the prevention of blood loss even before pregnancy or while carrying a baby.
To do this, the expectant mother should treat all chronic diseases, take timely tests after registration, use only healthy food, stop smoking and not drink alcohol, avoid stressful situations and conflicts, and also intelligently distribute the hours of work and rest.
First aid for female bleeding
At home, first aid for abundant postpartum bleeding a woman is able to provide themselves independently. An ice compress can be applied to the lower abdomen and a Vicasol, Tranexam or Ditsinona tablet can be taken.
It is better to consult a doctor about the dosage of drugs, since hemostatic agents have side effects and contraindications. From folk remedies it is useful to drink a decoction of nettle or yarrow.
Causes of heavy and prolonged periods after childbirth
After a baby is born naturally or by cesarean section, the cycle is not immediately restored, especially if the woman begins to breastfeed.
Abundant periods after childbirth - lochia - can not be called menstruation. Blood excretion after delivery is associated with inverse involution of the uterus.
Physiological regula in HB occurs no earlier than after 5–6 months, or even later.
When the cycle is restored after childbirth
After birth, the restoration of the female genital system is slow. When a baby is born, the placenta is rejected - this stage is considered to be the final one. As a result, the vessels are severely damaged, and abundant bleeding begins (up to 250–300 ml), which is normal. Discharge immediately after birth can not be considered the first menstruation.
The first periods after childbirth during breastfeeding begin, depending on the characteristics of the woman's body. Milk production is carried out by the action of prolactin secreted by the pituitary gland. The same hormone slows down the reproductive function, causes the absence of menstruation. This condition in medicine is called postpartum amenorrhea.
Over time, the synthesis of prolactin gradually decreases, breast milk for lactation is becoming less. After 4–6 months with HB or some time after its cessation, the menstrual cycle is restored at an earlier period.
So, the timing of the return of critical days depends on the intensity of postpartum recovery of the body and the presence of lactation in women:
- One month after the baby is born, menstruation can already begin in the absence of breastfeeding. Usually, they immediately follow lochia - after 3-4 weeks postpartum discharge of blood decreases, but the classic menstruation begins. This situation is extremely rare.
- After 8–10 weeks, menstruation is considered normal in the absence of feeding from the first day after birth. If breastfeeding is absent, the woman does not decant, the hormone prolactin stops producing, reproductive function is restored.
- After 3-4 months, it is possible to restore physiological menstruation even in the presence of lactation. Reguli may appear if the child is on a mixed diet and / or receives the first complementary foods. В этом случае молока для вскармливания требуется меньше, синтез пролактина также снижается.
- Самым распространенным периодом, когда возобновляются месячные, является срок в 6–8 месяцев. In addition to breast milk, a child of this age is already actively feeding on other products. The main time for feeding is day and night sleep. The longer the intervals between feedings, the less prolactin is observed in a woman’s body. The activity of sex hormones increases, eggs are intensively produced, provoking the onset of menstruation.
Abundant first monthly
Lochia last an average of 40 days. During this time, the structure of the uterus is fully restored, which is why the first menstrual periods after childbirth are very abundant. The excreta are particles of dead endometrium, placenta, blood and fluid.
Contractile movements of the uterus cause not only discharge, often abundant, but also characteristic cramping pain. The volume of outgoing blood and the discomfort more intense in the first week after delivery, gradually decrease to the full involution of the organ.
Bleeding can be longer - up to 8 weeks. Their duration is influenced by several factors:
- Type of childbirth - naturally or with a caesarean section. After surgery, lochia last longer.
- Age of the woman in labor. As a rule, in women after 30 years, especially in primiparous, the bleeding stops later.
- Multiple pregnancy, difficult childbirth. In this case, a significant amount of blood vessels is damaged, during pregnancy with twins or triplets, the volume of fluid and placenta is greater, respectively, and the bleeding also lasts longer.
In general, it depends on the state of the woman what the menstruation should be after birth. After two months, any bleeding stops, at this time you should visit a gynecologist.
Causes of strong and long periods
Very heavy periods after childbirth that do not stop after 6–8 weeks may be caused by the following reasons:
- Features of the structure of the uterus. Lohiometry - pathology that occurs on the background of the formation of hematoma. It interferes with the exit of the endometrium and blood, causes the accumulation of mucus, stagnant discharge acquires an unpleasant odor, can cause inflammation. Characterized by the appearance of scarlet blood after 5-7 days of scanty brownish daub immediately after birth.
- Slow uterine contraction. Also serves as a factor in the abundance of postpartum discharge. In this case, the appearance of pain, sometimes a rise in temperature. It is possible to detect an enlarged organ size with the help of an ultrasound scan, in which case preparations are prescribed for its reduction.
- Against the backdrop of hormonal imbalance. Blood excretion can also be too abundant. For example, the hormone prolactin, released for full breastfeeding, is produced more slowly if the baby sucks the breast poorly. This causes intense bleeding immediately after delivery.
- The shape of the uterus. The pear-shaped organ is reduced faster than the two-legged or with a bend.
- Multiple pregnancy and subsequent complicated labor. Cause intense stretching of the uterus, with the result that it is reduced much slower, prolonging the duration of bleeding.
Also abundant discharge, not turning into yellowish blood, 8-10 days after birth, can be observed with uterine diseases, incomplete output of the membranes, the development of atonic bleeding.
When you need to urgently go to the gynecologist
Menstruation may occur during breastfeeding if it lasts more than 6–9 months: the number of feedings is gradually reduced amid the introduction of complementary foods or mixed feeding of the child.
Sometimes, abundant periods with clots that appear after childbirth can be pathological and indicate the development of bleeding. You should consult a doctor in the following cases:
- the temperature rises
- pathological secretions are not replaced by a transparent yellowish ichorum with blood intersperses 8–10 days after delivery,
- intense cramping pain persists
- nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, apathy appear,
- on the background of bleeding, a worsening of well-being is observed - pre-unconscious, dizziness with a decrease in hemoglobin level, loss of consciousness,
- exacerbated inflammatory or other diseases.
The most common cause of heavy lochia is insufficient cleansing of the uterus and incomplete release of particles of the placenta. In the absence of action recommended by the doctor of drugs may require scraping organ.
Self-help before doctor's appointment
Call an ambulance is necessary if:
- after a significant decrease in discharge, the bleeding increased, the blood became bright scarlet,
- dizziness, vomiting, loss of consciousness,
- the temperature has increased significantly
- there are severe cramping in the lower abdomen.
If excessively strong periods do not cause deterioration of health, it is necessary to make an appointment with a gynecologist, and before this point take the following measures:
- With intense pain, it is necessary to take an antispasmodic and / or analgesic to alleviate the condition. Hemostatic agents should be prescribed by a specialist. The most popular are Tranexam, Vikasol and Ditsinon. From traditional medicine used decoctions of yarrow, nettle and shepherd's bag.
- To eliminate the contractions of the uterus, it is necessary to lie on a flat surface on one side, to press the legs to the stomach.
- Immediately after birth, use a hot water bottle with ice.
Any treatment, especially the use of hemostatic drugs, should be prescribed by a doctor. To conduct a routine inspection after delivery, preferably no later than 2 months. If the discharge acquires an unpleasant odor, intensifies after dying down, causes pain and other deviations in the state of health, it is necessary to consult a specialist earlier.
The reasons for the appearance of heavy and prolonged menstruation after childbirth. Link to main publication
Abundant periods after childbirth - the first, when breastfeeding, with clots, prchiiny, after the second, what to do
Abundant periods after childbirth worry many new mothers. An unequivocal answer to the question whether this is normal or pathological does not exist. The body of each woman is special, so it’s impossible to deal with the problem without the help of a qualified specialist. If a girl is worried about pain or feeling unwell, it is better to immediately contact a gynecologist.
Recovery of the menstrual cycle
Some girls confuse the discharge, which appeared immediately after delivery, with the usual monthly. During 5-8 weeks after the completion of pregnancy, the texture and functions of the uterus are restored.
The bleeding observed during this period is called lochia. The blood excretes the endometrium that forms in the uterus due to placental detachment during labor.
In the 2 months since the birth of the child:
- the body can fully recover after heavy blood loss,
- hormonal balance is normalized
- the concentration of red blood cells becomes almost the same as before pregnancy.
Some women note that their first menstruation occurred 5-6 weeks after delivery. It only says that the uterus recovered faster than usual.
Different periods of the onset of menstruation are due to two factors:
- The type of feeding the baby (when breastfeeding amenorrhea can last up to six months or longer).
There are cases when the menstrual cycle is restored only a year or two after the birth of the first child due to prolonged lactation. Due to the enormous hormonal changes that occurred in the mother of the woman during pregnancy and lactation, the menstrual cycle can become longer or shorter.
Even if the cycle has not yet recovered, the menstruations go irregularly or are completely absent immediately after the termination of lochies, you need to think about choosing a reliable method of protection, since the risk of a second pregnancy is great.
Lochia after childbirth
Abundant periods after childbirth: causes
Gynecologists voice a number of reasons, due to which the first menstrual periods after childbirth are very abundant. It:
- Features of the flow of labor. If there were any complications, for example, it took a planned or emergency COP, the likelihood is that the recovery of the monthly schedule will take more time than usual.
- The general state of the body of the woman. Some chronic diseases, bleeding disorders and other pathologies have a negative effect on the regeneration of uterine tissues.
- Diseases of the reproductive system and inflammatory lesions in the uterus caused by birth trauma.
- Anemia during gestation, malnutrition of pregnant women.
- Stressful situations, fatigue after childbirth.
Abundant discharge after the second birth can be caused by remnants of the placenta, which is not completely out of the uterus.
With repeated pregnancies, the uterus is not so much elastic as at the birth of the first child, and therefore decreases more slowly. This increases the risk of endometriosis, as a result of prolonged heavy menstruation.
In this case, most likely, you will need curettage, which can swoop down the development of the inflammatory process and stop blood loss.
Causes of heavy periods after childbirth
Norm or pathology?
Gynecologists almost unanimously argue that, normally, periods after the birth of a baby should not differ from menstruation before pregnancy.
Normal is the loss of up to 50 ml of blood in one cycle, the allocation in the amount of 50-80 ml fit the definition of abundant, and all that more is a pathology.
That is, if a woman is forced to change the pads every 1.5-2.5 hours, you should sound the alarm.
Isolation of a non-characteristic scarlet color with clots, and often a putrid odor, should force the young mother to seek medical help without delay. Frightening should also monthly for more than a week, because then we are talking about serious blood loss. In this case, hospitalization is most often required.
Abundant periods after vaginal delivery or cesarean section are considered normal only in a few cases:
- Acceptance of oral contraceptives before conception.
- Restructuring hormonal background after pregnancy.
- The increase in the area of the endometrium due to stretching of the uterus during gestation.
What to do?
Abundant blood loss due to intense menstruation can cause a number of chronic diseases, in particular anemia (iron deficiency). To fill the deficit, the patient is prescribed drugs in the form of capsules, tablets or syrup. Iron can also be obtained by adding some foods to the diet. This may be red meat, fruits or vegetables, as well as pomegranate juice.
With a large blood loss, experts also recommend drinking as much water as possible, preferably drinking sweet tea.
Is treatment required?
Treatment for abundant menstruation, as such, is not required. If necessary, the specialist prescribes iron-containing drugs for the patient and gives recommendations on how to normalize the cycle after the baby is born.
The gynecologist's tips include:
- balanced diet,
- adding to the diet of foods with a maximum concentration of vitamins.
- timely passing of a regular medical examination,
- effective therapy of existing chronic diseases,
- prevention of stressful situations
- Full day rest and night sleep.
If you take care of your health in time, most of the problems caused by abundant menstrual flow after childbirth will be eliminated. Do not be afraid of heavy monthly after pregnancy, it is important to monitor the nature of their course, to take the necessary measures for any deviations.
Delicate topic: abundant periods after childbirth
Posted by: Наталья Клишина · 07/21/2012
Pregnancy and childbirth - processes that strongly affect the female body. This is a kind of test, after which some of the complications observed in women who have not given birth disappear. For example, if the diagnosis was made before the birth, the uterus was bend, then after the birth, it most likely disappears. Menstruation becomes more regular and painless.
But since in the postpartum period the body is still recovering for some time, copious periods after childbirth may well be observed. This lochia is the way by which the uterus is freed from everything that was required for the normal development of the child inside the mother's body.
Do not worry - this is a temporary phenomenon: it will pass in 2-2.5 months. The speed of recovery of menstruation depends on the nature of the food, daily routine, and personal hygiene. In a woman who does not breastfeed, the menstrual cycle will return to normal faster than in a woman who is breastfeeding.
After all, the hormone prolactin, which promotes the appearance of breast milk, suppresses the production of hormones in the ovaries, and, consequently, ovulation.
Abundant periods after childbirth - norm or pathology?
In fact, abundant menstruation after childbirth is quite normal. Up to five hundred milliliters of blood is excreted per day; a conventional pad can last for 3-4 hours. However, the color and consistency of bleeding after childbirth should be the same as before pregnancy.
It is important to understand that in the postpartum period, every woman must be observed by a gynecologist. Only a specialist will be able to assess the nature of menstruation, and, if necessary, prescribe certain drugs and procedures. Every day, lochia usually becomes brighter, and their volume decreases.
As a result (after about 40 days), the woman's body is completely cleansed.
If heavy monthly delayed
In cases where abundant periods after childbirth last long enough, their volume does not decrease, clots appear, you should immediately contact a gynecologist.
Bleeding after childbirth is very dangerous for a woman’s health and requires urgent medical intervention. Bright scarlet blood will also be a reason to visit a gynecologist.
Usually in such cases, ultrasound, hemostatic drugs are prescribed, and in severe cases, the uterus cavity is scraped.
Abundant menses and anemia
Many women after pregnancy are sluggish, drowsy, suffer from sudden mood swings, tachycardia, shortness of breath. Their skin is pale, and the hair with the nails is dry and quickly breaks.
These phenomena are associated with iron deficiency in the body due to heavy periods after childbirth - anemia.
A balanced diet, the restoration of iron by injection method, the use of iron-containing drugs will easily restore the level of iron in the blood.
Dear readers and my friends. I would be grateful if you tell your friends about this article. It's very simple to do this: click on the social networking buttons and share this information with your friends. Thank!
And do not forget to add your favorite bookmark!
With love and warmth to you, Natalia Klishina, mother of two children, teacher, choreographer, musician, Child care consultant under 10 years old, School preparation consultant,
author of the project “A daughter is growing up, a son is growing”
Friends, I always read with great interest all your comments on my articles. If you liked the article, please leave your feedback. Your opinion is very important. This will make our site more interesting and useful. Thank you in advance!
Causes of heavy periods after childbirth "width =" 300 ″ height = "199 ″ class =" alignleft size-medium "/>
After the birth of a baby, no matter what method (either naturally or through cesarean section), the process of placental abruption, which is expressed by heavy bleeding, is an absolute norm. The nature of this blood loss is clear - an extensive wound formed after the exit of the placenta, it takes a lot of time to tighten and form a new endometrium.
Postpartum discharge is called lochia, it has a fading intensity and lasts about 40 days. After this time, new periods may well begin. For nursing mothers, this period is delayed for several months, while there is an intensive and regular breastfeeding of the baby.
In non-lactating women, menstruation occurs much earlier. Normally, a woman loses no more than 50 ml of blood for the entire period of menstruation, but if there are abundant menses after childbirth, then this volume is largely exceeded. It is clear that no one will weigh and measure their emissions, but it is quite possible to estimate their volume.
If you change the gasket more often than every 2 hours, then this is already a pathology.
Depending on the volume of discharge, menstruation is:
- normal. Isolation of not more than 50 g for the entire period
- abundant. Provided 50-80 g for the entire period,
- pathological. When allocating more than 80 g
Why do intensive periods arise after childbirth?
Abundant periods after childbirth may occur due to various reasons:
- complications during childbirth,
- cesarean section,
- chronic diseases that were not cured before the onset of labor,
- diseases of the reproductive system, accompanied by inflammatory processes,
- poor nutrition while carrying a baby,
- diagnosing iron deficiency anemia during childbirth,
- stressful atmosphere around a pregnant woman who has already given birth.
Very abundant periods after childbirth may indicate the development of endometriosis, pathological growth of the internal mucous tissue in the uterus. Эта болезнь появляется из-за гормонального нарушения после родов, особенно при наличии разрывов. To prevent further blood loss and the development of cancer tumors in this case is possible only by curettage. If after childbirth, the period began to pass more intensively, in some cases this may be a sign of the norm:
When abundant periods after childbirth is the norm?
Эта болезнь появляется из-за гормонального нарушения после родов, особенно при наличии разрывов.
To prevent further blood loss and the development of cancer tumors in this case is possible only by curettage.
If after childbirth, the period began to pass more intensively, in some cases this may be a sign of the norm:
You also need to carefully consider the color and composition of menstruation. It should not differ from these indicators of the prenatal period.
If very abundant periods after birth have a bright red color, and even clots, then this is a direct indication for referring to a gynecologist.
Be sure to smell the existing clots, if they emit an unpleasant odor, then it may be the remains of the placenta, which linger in the body and cause an inflammatory process.
An additional symptom of infection and inflammation may be cramping pain in the lower abdomen. In the same way can go monthly with the development of endometriosis. In case of heavy periods after childbirth, only the doctor can determine the cause of the pathological condition, so you should not hesitate to visit the gynecologist so as not to harm your health.
How to prevent the effects of heavy periods?
The main problem of heavy periods after childbirth is a large blood loss, eventually the cause of iron deficiency. To prevent this condition, you need to take care of stocks of trace elements in the body long before pregnancy.
They are abundant in fruits and vegetables, be sure not to forget that during a big loss of blood you need to drink a lot. You can also buy a special complex of vitamins, where in addition to iron there is copper and manganese, which help the rapid absorption of other trace elements.
There are a few rules, observing that iron deficiency anemia will not be a problem for you:
- balance the diet, include a maximum of healthy food, and give up fast food, fatty foods and drinks with gas,
- listen to your body, visit a doctor in time and undergo examinations. Get registered in the antenatal clinic as early as possible in order to get help in time.
- during pregnancy planning, check your body for chronic diseases, try to recover and take preventive measures,
- Get plenty of rest, observe the daily regimen,
- avoid stress and do not conflict.
How to alleviate the condition?
If you do not know what to do in case of heavy periods after childbirth, you should immediately consult a doctor, with the permission of a specialist, it is permissible to use traditional methods of treatment:
- In folk herbalists have a large list of plants that can stop the bleeding. These include shepherd's purse, stinging nettle, yarrow, and pine forest. To prepare the broth, chopped grass is poured with a glass of boiling water and boiled in a water bath for about a quarter of an hour, filtered. Drink a week for 30 minutes. before meals. This decoction will bring relief to the mother and will not harm the baby while breastfeeding.
- To help stop the blood corn stigmas. They are brewed as in the previous recipe, and taken three times a day in a tablespoon.
- Acupressure can also stop the bleeding. To do this, daily you need to lightly press your finger on the area in the hollow between the nose and the upper lip.
- Daily drink tea with mint or viburnum. But when breastfeeding you need to monitor the behavior of the baby, because these components may give a taste or smell to mother's milk.
- Pour 2 table.lozh. oats with boiling water and insist 20 minutes. Drink instead of water.
Also, to stop heavy periods, the doctor may prescribe medication. We give a list of the most popular drugs in the appointments of gynecologists:
- Askorutin. Strengthens the vascular walls, reduces the permeability of the smallest vessels, improves the overall health of the young mother.
- Tranexam. Eliminate bleeding with this drug can only under the supervision of a physician.
- Ditsinon. Can be taken with heavy periods with large clots.
- Vikasol. The drug is an analogue of vitamin K, affecting blood clotting. The drug has many contraindications, so you should not use it yourself.
In order to quickly identify the cause of heavy periods after childbirth and to receive adequate treatment, do not hesitate to visit a gynecologist, it depends on your health, and maybe life.
Abundant periods after childbirth: norm or pathology?
Abundant periods after childbirth are observed in many young mothers. But in order to understand whether this is the norm or the pathological process, one needs to know which secretions are considered normal.
Discharge after childbirth are not monthly. The cause of such bleeding is placental detachment from the endometrium during childbirth. In the first days after the birth of the child, the discharge is very abundant, then it becomes scanty and resembles a dabbling.
All women have monthly periods after childbirth at different times. It depends on whether the woman is breastfeeding or the baby is bottle-fed, and on heredity.
The first periods in the absence of lactation may come within 6 weeks after delivery. Abundant periods after childbirth begin after the cessation of breastfeeding.
In the postpartum period, the woman's menstrual cycle may change: become less or more. Duration of menstruation is not more than 7 days, may be more abundant than before birth, or vice versa scanty.
The effects of heavy periods
Anemia can be a serious consequence of heavy discharge. The blood contains a lot of iron, which can decrease with blood loss with heavy menstruation. Because of this, iron deficiency anemia can develop. Self-treatment is undesirable, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
Prevention of iron deficiency should be carried out even during pregnancy.
Prevention of anemia:
- Use only healthy food.
- Timely pass examinations and test
- Avoid overwork, rest more
- To conduct a survey when planning pregnancy, to eliminate existing chronic diseases
- Avoid stressful situations.
Abundant periods after childbirth are the norm, if there are no other signs other than profusion. But to alleviate the condition of the woman and reduce discomfort, you can reduce the amount of discharge.
It is necessary to use foods containing magnesium. Limit yourself to coffee and tea and liquids in general. This will help reduce the amount of discharge.
Childbirth is a big stress for the body, so you should not postpone visiting the doctor. You need to carefully treat your health and not to self-medicate.
And again, critical days
After childbirth, the hormonal background changes dramatically in the female body and it begins to work in completely different conditions.
All the forces of the maternal organism are directed to feeding the baby, so it is the active production of the hormone-prolactin, which is responsible for lactation. Prolactin inhibits all cyclic processes of the reproductive system.
In this regard, during breastfeeding there are no monthly periods, ovulation and the possibility of conception.
The first menstruation appears in each woman in different ways and depends on some factors:
- duration of breastfeeding,
- no lactation
- mixed feeding
- complications during childbirth.
In any case, sooner or later, critical days come for everyone in varying degrees of intensity and duration. Often, the first menstrual periods occur with increased abundance of secretions, which cannot but alert and even frighten the newly-made mommy, especially if they were not characteristic of her body before pregnancy.
The most common causes of heavy menstruation after childbirth:
- Physiological changes. After childbirth, the organs of the reproductive system, namely the uterus and cervix, undergo physiological changes. Due to the fact that the cervical canal shortens and expands, the uterus increases, and with it the lining of the endometrium, menstrual flow can be more abundant and longer than usual.
- Chronic diseases. If there were any before the onset of labor and were not cured in time, then their consequences can “float up” by the failure of the monthly cycle, which will manifest itself with copious menstruation and an irregular cycle.
- Diseases of the reproductive system. Inflammatory processes acquired after childbirth, or as a consequence of birth complications and injuries, can also be accompanied by copious secretions during the first postpartum menses.
- The consequence of the generic process. If childbirth was accompanied by complications, there is a chance that the menstruation in the first months of recovery will be very intense and abundant.
- Cesarean section. Any surgical intervention leaves, in addition to the scar, the consequences, which can result in bleeding. Postoperative suture on the uterus violates its contractile function and is the basis for the development of endometriosis.
When is this the norm?
Normal are the discharge, which after childbirth have the same intensity, regularity, consistency and duration, as before pregnancy. During the greatest intensity of menstruation, one pad should be enough for 4-5 hours. If bleeding is more abundant, then this can be a reason for going to a doctor.
Another factor that you need to pay attention to during heavy periods is the nature of the discharge. If they have a bright red color, then this is a guaranteed sign of bleeding that is not associated with menstruation.
Anemia as a consequence
Any bleeding in the human body affects not the best way to the general state of health. With the monthly secretions of a woman's body loses about 100 ml of blood. This amount is sufficient for the occurrence of iron deficiency anemia.
Abundant periods after childbirth are accompanied by significantly greater blood loss and the harm from them, respectively, is much stronger. And if you consider that the state of health of the woman who gave birth is exhausted and weakened:
- sleepless nights
it is safe to say that iron deficiency anemia very firmly “took root” in her body. In this case, Mommy needs to pass all the necessary tests, identify the stage of anemia and begin the necessary treatment.
Nowadays, there are a large number of drugs to increase iron in the body, which are taken in conjunction with other essential trace elements (copper, manganese), which improve the body's digestible ability.
But there is another way that can help a woman to prevent the "iron crisis" of the body. The main thing here is to start iron deficiency prophylaxis during pregnancy and continue immediately after delivery:
- eat balanced and wholesome food
- monitor the health of the whole body, in time passing all the necessary examinations,
- engage in the prevention and treatment of all chronic diseases,
- do not overdo it, distribute your day so that there is time for rest and recuperation,
- Avoid nerve costs and stressful situations.
Abundant periods after childbirth - this is not a sentence, but only one of the processes of the body, conceived by nature. The main thing is to always take care of your health and remember that the smallest and dearest child’s heart needs a calm, healthy, cheerful mother, and not a nervous little one with a nervously twitching eyelid and disheveled head.
Abundant menstruation after childbirth: norm or pathology
Norm - this is the selection that was before birth. This can include the nature, intensity, duration and regularity of the menstrual cycle.
If critical days do not bother and flow, as usual, normally and calmly - this is the norm. In any case, on a routine examination of the gynecologist, which should be 2 months after the labor, you need to pay attention to the critical days.
The young mother needs to rest more, monitor her health and visit the doctor in time and then everything will be fine, under control. You just have to rejoice and enjoy the days you spend with your little miracle.
Pay close attention, if the monthly go up to ten days urgently need to seek medical help, as such discharge may indicate a bleeding that is fraught with consequences. In such cases, the woman may require immediate hospitalization.
Abundant periods after childbirth: complications and consequences
Bleeding of any nature negatively develops on the general condition of the body.
During bleeding, the female body can lose about 100 milliliters of blood. This amount is enough to develop anemia.
Abundant menstruation after childbirth causes even greater blood loss, so the consequences are even more serious.
You need to take into account the fact that the woman's body is depleted after childbirth:
- carrying a child
- generic activities
- sleepless nights
- chronic sleep deprivation,
- stress and depression.
Then we can say with confidence that anemia of a young mother cannot be avoided. In such cases, it is necessary to pass all tests to identify the form of anemia and begin appropriate treatment on time.
Treatment of the effects of anemia
As a rule, iron deficiency is replenished with the help of various preparations containing iron.
In practice, often used drug French manufacturer "Totem". The drug is available in the form of drinking ampoules, contains not only the desired iron, but also copper with manganese.
The efficacy of the drug has been proven by many studies that have been tried in practice, therefore during heavy bleeding an individual Totema therapy can be prescribed.
Also, in order to maintain your body in the postpartum period and to prevent heavy bleeding, you need a little:
- eat healthy, fresh and vitamin-rich foods,
- watch your health carefully and listen to your body
- undergo regularly necessary examinations and tests, if the birth - a cesarean, after 3 months, make an ultrasound,
- use prophylactic measures and methods of treating chronic diseases,
- think about your day correctly, create a schedule, have a good rest, eat,
- try to think about the good, avoid stress and depression.
Very intensive periods after the birth of a child is not a sentence, but only one of the stages of female physiology. The main thing to remember is that your child feels everything, he needs a calm, caring and cheerful mother who loves and cares for him.