Many women experience the problem of pain in the abdomen during the menstrual cycle. For some, the feeling of painful periods is quite tolerable, but for others it is not. What can be done in such a situation, what is the best remedy you can choose from heavy discharge, which is better to choose pain pills for menstruation? Let's try to understand this all today, choosing a truly effective remedy for the painful menstruation cycle.
Cause of field sensations
What are the causes of pain and heavy discharge at the beginning of the cycle? This process is a kind of malaise called dysmenorrhea.
It is called a failure in menstrual function, accompanied by vomiting, nausea, pain in the head, lower back and lower abdomen. According to the data, about 65% of all women complain of abdominal pain and other cycle disorders.
With cycle disorder, the causes of this phenomenon may be as follows:
- Increased activity of the thyroid gland, the presence of hormonal failure.
- The use of contraceptives (intrauterine device).
- Hypersensitivity to various changes that occur in the human body.
- An abortion or postpartum period.
- Irregular sex life.
- Incorrect uterus location.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Improper nutrition.
- The lack of minerals in the body, in particular, magnesium and potassium.
In this case, abdominal pains begin in the first days of the cycle, may be accompanied by the presence of heavy periods. Today, there are many drugs that help alleviate the overall condition during the cycle. You can also always use folk remedies that help with heavy discharge and abdominal pain.
It is possible to use painkillers during menstruation only if the discomfort is not associated with pathological changes in the woman's body. It is best to first consult with your doctor to determine the means that it is recommended to drink it in your particular case.
In such a situation, one should not try to self-medicate, as this can be fraught with serious health problems.
In any pharmacy, you can buy various pills for menstruation, which help eliminate pain in the abdomen and other unpleasant symptoms. But how exactly to choose really good and high-quality pain pills for menstruation? What is better to drink with heavy menstruation during the cycle?
Elimination of pain in the abdomen without medical drugs
Before starting to drink pills, we recommend trying simple, but effective folk remedies for heavy and painful menstruation. To remove abdominal pain helps:
- Lie down comfortably on the bed, knees should be pulled up to the chest as much as possible, clasp them with your hands. In this position, you need to stay for a while, until you feel better.
- Put a hot water bottle on your belly with warm or cold water. In order to determine which heating pad helps, it is recommended to first put one if not help, then the other.
- It is recommended to drink hot tea. Folk remedies recommend adding a small amount of balsam or brandy to tea.
In the event that all the above means are not able to remove the pain at the beginning of the cycle, then it is recommended to use drugs that can be bought at a pharmacy.
In order to remove the pain at the beginning of the cycle, in most cases, drugs are used in this category: anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal drugs. Such drugs very quickly help with painful menstruation, they can be taken even before the menstruation cycle begins. A big advantage in this case can be called their availability and low cost. These drugs include:
- Aspirin. To get rid of pain in the abdomen, such tablets are recommended to take up to four times a day, two tablets.
- Paracetamol. For these purposes, it is recommended to drink four tablets of medicine a day.
- Ibuprofen In order to remove the pain syndrome, you need to drink no more than six tablets per day.
- Piroxicam. This pain reliever for painful periods is recommended to take three tablets a day.
- Indomethacin. Per day it is recommended to take up to three tablets or two candles with an interval of 12 hours.
- Naproxen. Take twice a day for two to four dragees.
- Ketoprofen. Take two pills three times a day.
While taking painkillers of this group, at the same time with anti-inflammatory nonsteroidal means, you can relieve pain in just a few minutes. But this does not mean that it is forbidden to use antispasmodics as independent drugs. Of course, you can accept them in such a way, but in this case you need to suffer a certain time until they begin to provide the necessary action. So, to such drugs include:
- No shpa. Take three times a day for 3-5 tablets.
- Papaverine. In order to relieve pain, the agent is recommended to drink one tablet three times a day.
- Drotaverine. Take up to five times a day for 1-2 tablets.
- Buscopan Such a drug is prescribed, two tablets up to five times a day.
Some of the women prefer to choose painkillers of this particular group to relieve pain during menstruation. These drugs include Spazmalgin, Baralgin, Novalgin and Analgin. Such medicines can be taken up to six times a day, one tablet. All the above medicines can only relieve you of pain symptoms for a while, they cannot be used as medicines for the treatment of gynecological diseases.
Before you start taking any of these drugs, it is recommended that you first consult with your doctor.
In addition to treatment with medicines, you can always use folk remedies that allow you to cope with pain during menstruation. Let's find out which methods are recommended in this case. That will cope with unpleasant sensations without the use of drugs.
Home treatment options for painful menstruation
Most women who try to alleviate their general well-being during their monthly periods resort to various home treatments. In our particular case, we are talking about a special tea prepared according to this recipe: in the same amount you need to take buckthorn, calendula, chamomile, mint and lemon balm.
All mix and separate two tablespoons of the mixture from the total mass, then pour the entire glass of boiling water. Leave the tea until the time it reaches room temperature, after which it should be filtered.
Drink this infusion should be in several receptions in one day. Have you forgotten the rule that prevention is the best treatment? Pain during the menstrual cycle is no exception. What preventive actions in this case can be effective? Let's find out together.
In order to avoid having to take painkillers during menstruation, it is necessary at least a week before the start of menstruation to switch to the principles of proper eating. In this case, it is recommended to completely remove fried, salted, smoked food from the diet, also limit the consumption of grapes, pears, legumes. It is recommended that vegetables, kefir, cottage cheese and fish be introduced into the diet. Such products allow you to minimize the pain during menstruation.
Advice from a specialist
So, we were able to tell which drugs and folk remedies are recommended to use in the presence of pain in the stomach during menstruation. What methods of treatment is preferable to choose in this case. At the same time, we want to warn you in advance that you should not ignore a visit to a gynecologist and resort to such recommendations only after you can be sure that there are no serious health problems. Do not self-medicate.
Should normal menstruation be accompanied by pain?
Doctors believe that pain during menstruation (dysmenorrhea) is normal if it is mild and is not accompanied by other unpleasant symptoms. If an egg cell that has matured and has come out of the follicle does not fertilize, the endometrium, which is preparing to embryo, is rejected. In order to bring it out of the body, the muscles of the uterus are reduced, the nutrition of the tissues deteriorates, a vasospasm occurs, which provokes pain.
The change in the nature of pain in the direction of amplification, a feeling of heaviness below, sharp and prolonged spasms, an increase in the volume of secretions are alarming signs of problems in the body. When they appear, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist and undergo a thorough examination of the reproductive system. The specialist will determine the cause of the negative symptoms and suggest treatment.
Causes of painful menstruation
Primary dysmenorrhea is considered the main cause of pain during menstruation. The severity of menstruation is influenced by external factors and the lifestyle of a woman. The list of provoking factors of painful discomfort in primary dysmenorrhea include:
- use as a contraceptive intrauterine device,
- recovery process after pregnancy and childbirth,
- hormonal imbalance,
- vitamin deficiency
- power imbalance
- hereditary factor
- the absence or irregularity of sexuality.
If the situation worsens to such an extent that even strong painkillers do not bring relief, doctors talk about secondary dysmenorrhea. When it pain occurs because of the presence in the body of a woman pathological processes and diseases. In addition, experts correlate the unpleasant symptoms during menstruation and their causes with the woman's age, sexual activity and childbirth.
In adolescent girls and women who are not sexually active
The painfulness of menstruation in adolescent girls is associated with the physiological characteristics of the maturing organism. At the age of 12–14, the girl's body undergoes natural changes, hormonal restructuring is underway. The uterus is still underdeveloped, and sometimes also incorrectly located. Contracted during menstruation, it pushes strongly on the organs located next to it, irritates the receptors responsible for the pain impulse.
Do not pregnant women with regular sex life
With regular sex life in a non-pregnant woman, pain during menstruation in the lower abdomen can be triggered by external factors and habits. Stress, insomnia, a lot of coffee, smoking are the causes that negatively affect the menstrual process. The stomach also hurts those representatives of the fair sex who are overweight, especially those who are obese.
Have women who gave birth
After giving birth, the uterus, despite the fact that it gradually returns to normal, slightly increases in size. During menstruation, when it comes to tone, the extra volume puts pressure on the vessels, impairs the nerve endings, interferes with proper microcirculation of blood in the lumbar region. The cause of the pain may be in certain postpartum pathologies: endometrial hyperplasia, myoma, pelvic organ prolapse.
In mature women before menopause
The main factor causing pain during heavy periods during menopause is associated with sharp fluctuations in hormone levels. At the completion of the reproductive function, the secretion of progesterone and estrogen is reduced to the complete cessation of their production by the woman’s body. This adversely affects the vessels and tissues of the uterus and other organs. The reproductive organ loses its elasticity, contractions during menstruation cause severe painful spasms.
Drugs that can reduce pain: pills, candles, injections
Various painkillers and antispasmodic drugs can effectively eliminate the pain during menstruation. Acetylsalicylic acid, or Aspirin is traditionally used. Medications are available in the form of tablets or suppositories. Let us consider the therapeutic agents by the direction of influence:
- Analgesics. They anesthetize, relieve fever, reduce the feeling of tiredness and drowsiness. Have a short-term effect. This group includes acetylsalicylic acid. It is advisable to take together with drugs antispasmodic group.
- Antispasmodics. Able to increase blood flow, dilate the pelvic vessels. Effective with not heavy menstruation, relieve cramps and weak pain syndrome.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). The most popular - Ibuprofen, Ibuklin. Relieve inflammation and uterine cramps. The drugs are shown to relieve pronounced menstrual pain.
If the pain syndrome is strongly pronounced, injectable medication is used. The most effective in this case is Diclofenac. Introduce the drug intramuscularly in a dosage of 50-100 ml. When drugs do not help to relieve, and the symptom increases and the discharge becomes scarlet, you should immediately seek medical help.
When choosing a painkiller, many women prefer not pain pills for menstruation, but suppositories. Candles, getting inside, act directly on the source of pain and quickly eliminate it. In addition, suppositories have no taste, they do not need to be swallowed, and to relieve a symptom, a smaller amount of medication is needed: if you need 2-3 tablets to drink, then one candle is enough.
The antispasmodics are designed to soften the contractions of the uterus and relieve the pains caused by cramps. Among the effective remedies for menstrual pain include:
- No-Spa and Drotaverin (the name of the domestic equivalent). Both drugs have a relaxing effect on the uterine muscles clamped during menstruation. Curing activity of prostaglandin, increase the intensity of discharge and reduce the time of menstruation. The simultaneous use of Drotaverine and No-Shpa with Analgin, Aspirin, Paracetamol is practiced.
- Papaverine. Relaxes uterine smooth muscle and relieves pain. The daily dose may be 5 tablets.
- Spasmalgon. The preparation includes analgin (metamizole sodium), which is responsible for the removal of pain. Pitofenone hydrochloride fights inflammation, lowers the tone of the uterus, reduces the tension of smooth muscles. Fenpiverine bromide is responsible for the relaxation of the muscles of the genitourinary system. Take no more than 6 tablets per day.
- Halidor It relieves, relaxes the uterus, has a calming effect on the nerve endings. It is enough to take 3 tablets per day, which should be drunk after a meal.
- Spazgan. It has the same healing properties as Spazmalgon. It relieves spasms, relieves pain. The rate of administration - 6 tablets per day.
- Buscopan Effectively removes pain, if you take 5 tablets per day. Reduces spasms. How many days to take the medicine is indicated in the instructions. Also available in suppositories.
All drugs of the analgesic group have a similar effect: they relieve pain during menstruation, stop the feverish state, help to eliminate weakness. The following drugs can be purchased at the pharmacy: Paracetamol, Ketonal, Baralgin, Analgin, Novalgin, Minalgin, Ronalgin. The daily dose of analgesic should not exceed 6 tablets. Contraindicated in diseases of the kidneys, liver, bronchial asthma, problems with blood formation.
Doctors do not recommend often resort to receiving Analgin. With regular use, metamizole sodium can cause increased bleeding. In addition, the drug reduces the production of leukocytes, thereby weakening the body's defense.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
The effect of nonsteroidal drugs is aimed at eliminating inflammatory processes. They act in advance, so you need to take 2-3 days before the start of menstruation. There are discrepancies in dosages. So, for proper exposure you need to drink 4 tablets of Ibuprofen or Ibuklina (ibuprofen and paracetamol are part of Ibuklin), and Indomethacin only needs 3 pieces per day. This group also includes Ketoprofen, Tamipul, Naproxen, Piroxicam, Diclofenac. Some of the drugs (Diclofenac, Indomethacin) are produced in the form of suppositories, which facilitates the removal of painful symptoms in the presence of vomiting and nausea. Candles put 2 times a day.
In special cases, the use of Diclofenac in the form of injections is practiced. Help drug invaluable if you want to remove the swelling of the uterus in the presence of cysts, inflammation of the appendages and ovaries. The drug should not be used when a woman has ischemia, persistent hypertension, a duodenal ulcer or a stomach ulcer. All side properties of the tool are detailed in the instructions for its use.
Противозачаточные средства гормонального характера назначаются врачами, чтобы не только избавить пациентку от болевого синдрома, но и предупредить нежелательное зачатие. Aligning hormones, they have a beneficial effect on the uterus, weakening its contractions. To achieve a positive result requires long-term use of contraceptives. Choosing a hormonal drug should be entrusted to a specialist.
Non-drug pain relief
To deal with pain during menstruation can be other, non-drug methods. Well helps massage and special exercises. To perform the massage you need to lie on your back, put your hand on the lower abdomen, and make slow circular movements. The procedure improves blood waste and helps relieve spasms.
The latest advances in modern pharmaceuticals are increasingly offering women products that are notable for ease of use and quick action.
Traditional medicine has its own means. Herbal teas and teas have long been used by our ancestors to eliminate discomfort during critical days. A simple decoction can be prepared from nettle, raspberry leaves or wild strawberry and drink it as usual tea. It is useful to use an extract of water pepper, which not only reduces pain, but also strengthens blood vessels, reduces pressure on the uterus. About the feasibility of using folk remedies and their side effects should consult a doctor.
Prevention and treatment of dysmenorrhea
The best prevention of menstrual pain is a healthy lifestyle for a woman, in which there is no place for bad habits, overeating, or bad mood. In the diet should reduce the amount of fatty and spicy foods. It is desirable that sexual life was regular (3-4 times a week). You need to dress for the weather, not allowing overheating and hypothermia. Well, if you have the opportunity to do dancing, yoga, jogging, fitness. You should try to avoid stressful situations, keep calm and enjoy life.