Many new mothers are concerned about the question of how quickly their bodies will recover after giving birth. Often women think that delaying menstruation during breastfeeding is the norm, so if they have a different situation, they are worried and believe that something is wrong with their body. In this article we will talk about the features of the menstrual cycle during the period of GW, as well as the myths that exist.
The organism of each woman who gave birth is individual. In some periods they begin after a couple of months after childbirth, even with regular breastfeeding, in others the menstrual cycle is restored only a year later and even more after childbirth. Of course, the reason for this is hormones, but to know all the nuances in order to avoid a new pregnancy with a delay is simply necessary.
From the article you will find out whether it is possible to get pregnant during the lactation period, when do menstruation come earlier, and at what delay should you head to the doctor? Useful recommendations will help you calm down and focus on communicating with your baby.
About unplanned pregnancy
A huge number of women believe that lactational amenorrhea (absence of menstruation during breastfeeding) is a natural protection (contraception) against the onset of a new pregnancy. But alas, this method cannot be attributed to effective contraceptives.
To prevent critical days from occurring, the body of the nursing mother must have a very high level of the hormone prolactin, which is responsible for the regular production of breast milk. It is possible to become pregnant while breastfeeding, even without restoring the cycle, because successful fertilization of the egg occurs during ovulation. And it is just as you remember from the lessons of anatomy, and precedes the monthly.
So we still recommend the use of contraceptives. Yes, and a huge number of families in which children are almost the same age, eloquently demonstrate that the natural protection does not always work. Another serious argument is that the delay in periods during breastfeeding is not as effective as many people think.
In order for this method to work without failures, it is necessary to feed the child regularly from the first minutes of his life. And if mothers usually feed crumbs in the birth hall, then returning to their ward, many have problems with it. As some babies sleep for a long time or simply refuse milk, thereby disturbing the mechanism of this natural “contraceptive” method.
Common myths about critical days with HB
Thanks to the words of our compassionate older relatives, as well as Internet tips, the phenomenon of lactation during their lactation and their delay has become overgrown with several fundamentally incorrect, unfounded myths. We will now talk about them in more detail.
- On critical days you can not breastfeed, the baby refuses milk. It's a delusion. It is believed that during the period of menstruation the smell and taste of dairy delicacy changes, so the baby can refuse to breast. In fact, the taste of milk and its rich composition remain the same, and the smell of the nursing mother itself changes. Therefore, all that you need to do during your period is to take a shower more often. By the way, continued breastfeeding will allow caring mothers to avoid problems such as: lactostasis and subsequent mastitis, swelling of the mammary glands.
- The first periods are lochia. This myth is not so popular, but still very common among women. Lochia is the so-called postpartum hemorrhage, which has nothing to do with critical days. This period lasts 4-6 weeks (both during breastfeeding and in its absence) only indicates that the uterus returns to its original prenatal size and heals. Bleeding does not consist of pieces of an unfertilized egg, but of blood and particles of the uterine mucosa.
- Caesarean section affects menstruation. As in the case of natural childbirth, during surgery, recovery of the menstrual cycle depends on what type of feeding you practice. With artificial menstruation will begin 3-4 months after birth. And during breastfeeding, subject to compliance with all recommendations, in 9-12 months. Do not forget that mothers are "Caesar" doctors strongly recommend giving birth only 3 years after a previous birth. Therefore, be sure to use reliable methods of contraception.
- After HB, the cycle becomes the same as before birth. In fact, pregnancy, labor and breastfeeding leave their mark on the future work of the reproductive system and its recovery process. Many mothers notice that the menstrual cycle becomes different, and between the previous and last menstruation there may be a delay of 2-3 cycles. And this is absolutely normal.
The absence of menstruation after cessation of lactation
Can we say that the delay in menstruation during breastfeeding is quite common? And if in the case of non-nourishing, everything is simple, because their cycle is restored immediately after the end of lochia, then for women with lactation, menstruation usually resumes in the second year of breastfeeding, although in the modern world few young mothers retain lactation for such a long period.
Can monthly periods with GW be regular or delay is the norm? As you know, the hormone prolactin is produced during the entire period of breastfeeding, and it affects the recovery of the menstrual cycle. This prolactin and inhibits the development of eggs. And it must be said that even after the appearance of menstruation, hormone production jumps and the associated delays manifest themselves. Therefore, to talk about the regularity of the cycle until the complete cessation of the lactation period is not necessary.
How fast do menstruation appear after HB
In order to at least say something about this, it is necessary to take into account a number of factors that influence the work of the female reproductive system.
Please note that:
- Women who breastfeed babies on demand can expect a recovery in the menstrual cycle only a year after delivery.
- If the mother feeds the baby on a strict schedule, then the monthly will come 3-4 months earlier. This statement also works for women who do not feed dairy treats for children at night. Do not forget that ovulation is suppressed by the hormone prolactin, the production of which is activated in the dark.
- Observing a mixed type of feeding, you should not hope that your period will come a year and a half after childbirth. Usually the first menstruation comes in 3-4 months.
- Many mothers listen to the recommendations of pediatricians, therefore, they feed 5-6 months of crumbs into the diet. It is after you have stopped breastfeeding on an ongoing basis that the so-called “delay” stops, and menstruation returns. The cycle is restored within 1-2 months. By the way, this applies not only to adult food in the children's menu, but even to supplementing with some water or juice (which was done almost all a few decades ago).
- But, if we are talking about mothers of children-artificialists, then their cycle is restored already after 1.5-2 months after giving birth. That is, after the completion of lohii (they usually last a month, but do not forget that some breastfeeding need more time to bounce back after childbirth). Therefore, the delay in menstruation in such women after childbirth is the smallest.
In some cases, hormones after cessation of lactation may independently and not return to normal even after weaning the baby from the breast. This is usually expressed in a very short menstrual cycle with scanty discharge and constant delays or other signs of irregularity.
In this case, this is a serious reason to think about going to your doctor. Also pay attention to lochia, which lasts 1-1.5 months after delivery. If this discharge lasts more than two months, then it is also a reason to go for a consultation with a gynecologist. Self-treatment is prohibited, because this phenomenon signals problems with hormones and trauma to the uterus.
Why else may not be monthly
The reasons for the lack of menstruation and too long delay of menstruation:
- female diseases (for example, ovarian cyst, various neoplasms in the uterus),
- stressful situations (do not forget that mothers with small children have many reasons for concern),
- reduced immunity (because of this, there may be problems not only in women in the postpartum period),
- the problem may also lie in oral contraceptives, which are known to have an effect on the hormones of a woman,
- inflammation of the pelvic organs,
- Progesterone deficiency is another common cause of the absence of menstruation after weaning a baby.
New pregnancy as a reason for the delay
Before diagnosing the reason why there was a delay in menstruation, the doctor should exclude the presence of a new pregnancy. Only after that the gynecologist assigns the necessary tests and research.
You can also determine pregnancy during breastfeeding, as the cause of the delay of menstruation, you can do it yourself (in addition to using the test). The signs that indicate a new life that originated within you include:
- Decreased lactation. And this is not surprising, since your body directs all its resources to the maintenance and development of life within you.
- Swelling breasts may indicate not only that menstruation will soon, but even pregnancy.
- If you have already started on critical days during lactation, the most important thing is that the cycle has normalized, their absence most likely indicates that you are in position.
- Many mothers have noticed that during breastfeeding, the uterus can contract, as it were, which is completely natural and normal. But if these feelings have become too frequent - this is a disturbing "bell". We advise you to look at a female doctor, and as soon as possible.
- Also, do not forget about the classic signs of pregnancy, which are inherent in women during breastfeeding. The most well-known are: toxicosis, lack of appetite, an acute negative reaction to the surrounding smells, as well as frequent urge to urinate.
Now you know the main aspects concerning the absence and delay of menstruation during the breastfeeding period. If your period began earlier, in any case, do not stop lactation, continue to feed the baby crumbs. And if the menstrual cycle has not recovered, then you now know in which cases it is impossible to do without the help of specialists.