Menstruation is one of the main natural processes in the body of a healthy girl or woman. Any malfunction associated with the reproductive system should be taken seriously. After all, the reasons for this can be very diverse: from the onset of pregnancy to dangerous diseases. When a girl is delayed, the question immediately arises: “Why do not menstruation begin?” A detailed overview of the most popular causes of a cycle violation can help you get the answer.
In girls, menstruation usually starts from 12-14 years and coincides with the period of puberty, more precisely, it is its main indicator. But hormones are formed a little later, which is why there may be delays.
Often after the first menstruation, girls worry about why their periods do not start again a second time. This is absolutely normal, it may take from one to two years to establish a regular cycle. So even if a young girl had no monthly periods for a month, do not panic. However, if the delay lasts more than six months, you should consult a doctor, as in the case of an unspecified cycle after two years. Sometimes the puberty period is significantly delayed, and in girls of 16-17 years old, only the first periods begin. Immediately the question arises: "Can the menstrual periods not start at all?" Of course not, but in this case the girl's mother should be alarmed, because this can be a signal of dangerous diseases of the reproductive system.
Why do not menstruation come for a long time? The answer to this question can serve one of the most common causes - pregnancy. After fertilization of the egg, menstruation ends before the birth of the child, and also captures part of the breastfeeding period. And for some it may take 1-2 months, while others break up with monthly until the end of the lactation period (1-2 years). The reason for this is the production of prolactin. It is so strong that it suppresses all other female hormones in the body. If you refused to breastfeed, then the menstrual cycle should return to normal after 1.5-2 months.
Abortions and miscarriages
As a result of an abortion or miscarriage, a woman experiences severe hormonal stress. Also, the procedure of abortion of pregnancy surgically leads to the violation of the integrity of the mucous membrane of the uterus, and plus to everything, often accompanied by severe blood loss. Therefore, even a long delay of menstruation in this case is quite possible.
Stress and Depression
Women are very sensitive to various mental shocks. All sorts of quarrels, conflicts with colleagues or superiors, and even family scenes can affect the menstrual cycle.
Frequent emotional upheavals may lead to slight delays - up to several days. Also, menstruation does not regularly go with girls in college age. The need to combine work and study, chronic sleep deprivation, severe overwork, exams and experiences for grades may adversely affect the cycle. Strong stress should not be excluded from this list. Can there be no menstruation due to a fracture or injury, an extreme situation experienced or the death of a loved one? Of course, yes, because in a state of severe stress in the body, defense mechanisms are activated, which can lead to a slight change in the cycle. This is due to the feminine peculiarity, since in critical and adverse environmental conditions nature warns the girl against the possible appearance of offspring.
Going to another country, especially on another mainland, be prepared for violations of the menstrual cycle. The process of acclimatization does not always go smoothly, therefore, often menstruation can start early or, on the contrary, linger for several weeks. Also pay attention to the time zone change. Your biological clock will be rebuilt under the new conditions, which can lead to changes in the cycle. Remember that going to hot countries should not be very long in the sun, it can also cause a delay. The same applies to visiting the solarium.
Excess or lack of weight
You are not pregnant, do not have any gynecological diseases, are not subject to stress and feelings, and consider yourself to be a completely healthy woman. So why not start monthly? Perhaps you should pay attention to problems with weight. Moreover, the failure of the menstrual cycle can occur both from obesity, and from excessive thinness. Critical excess weight can lead to disruption of the reproductive system, as the fat mass will put pressure on vital organs. In another case, if with your height you are underweight, your period may stop altogether. This is due to the fact that the body will launch a mechanism of self-defense, and all processes will be aimed at maintaining life support.
Diets and weight loss
In the race for the ideal figure, women are ready to go even on the most extreme measures, and most often torture themselves with starvation. However, it is worth remembering that a sharp decrease in the number of calories entering the body can lead to long delays, since in this case the protective functions are activated.
. Thus, the body will decide that it has fallen into adverse conditions, and will direct all forces to the "conservation" of energy. As a result, the work of the reproductive system temporarily ceases. Even if you decide to lose weight using diets, you need to do it right. Carefully follow the power, do not let the acute shortage of one of the links BZhU. A sharp shortage, as well as an excess of one of the components, can lead not only to problems with the gastrointestinal tract, but also disrupt the regularity of menstruation.
Sometimes women resort to emergency contraception. In this they can help pills with a huge amount of hormones. But it should be understood that their use often leads to a delay for a long time. Also, a violation can occur if you have used contraceptives for a long time, and then decided to interrupt the reception for planning pregnancy. The body temporarily stops working as before, as the long term was subject to hormones coming from outside. This phenomenon is called ovarian hyper retardation. A woman temporarily stops ripening the egg, which is why her period does not begin. But after 2, in the rare case of 3 cycles, everything will return to normal.
Intoxication of the body
The stomach does not hurt, menstruation does not begin, what is the reason? The answer may be hiding in a strong intoxication of the body. If a woman’s work is associated with hazardous production, where she is exposed to chemical or radioactive exposure, then in the future this can lead to problems with the menstrual cycle. Also, do not forget that the female body reacts very negatively to smoking, as well as taking drugs and alcohol. Prolonged exposure to these reagents can lead not only to short-term delays, but also to infertility.
Very strongly on the menstrual cycle of women are affected by various medications. If you are overly addicted to the use of anabolic and painkillers, be prepared for repeated delays. Do not often resort to the treatment of psychological diseases with antidepressants. It can also negatively affect the regularity of the cycle. It is better to give preference to folk remedies and soothing medicinal herbs. Often, many diseases have to be treated with antibiotics, which not only adversely affect the beneficial vaginal microflora, but also lead to a sharp decrease in overall hormonal levels. That is why menstruation does not come for a long time after serious colds, diseases of the stomach and bladder.
What are some of the reasons why monthly periods disappear?
Amenorrhea (as doctors call the absence of menstruation) can be:
- Primary - it is said about such a form of amenorrhea, if when a girl reaches the upper limit of sexual age (15-16 years old) menstruation does not begin.
Severe diseases of the hypothalamic-pituitary system (congenital adrenogenital syndrome), disorders of the genetic ovarian system, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, severe forms of hypothyroidism (reduction of thyroid function) lead to this type of amenorrhea.
With all these diseases, the absence of menstruation will be only one of many symptoms.
For the reasons that caused the secondary absence of menstruation, the following types of amenorrhea are distinguished:
Physiological - due to changes in the body do not go monthly in pregnant and lactating women, as well as in women who entered the period of menopause. This is considered normal.
- in the presence of gynecological problems (inflammatory diseases of the mucous membrane of the uterus - endometritis, with narrowing of the cervix),
- hormonal disorders (sclerocystic ovary syndrome, endometriosis), in which there is no cyclic maturation and rejection of the endometrium,
- hypothalamic or pituitary tumors. These areas of the brain are the main regulators of sex hormones, therefore, when they are affected, the reproductive system suffers,
- in some diseases of the endocrine system (nodes in the thyroid gland),
- in a false pregnancy, this condition occurs in extremely suspicious girls with prolonged infertility or panic fear of motherhood. At the same time, signs characteristic of a real pregnancy develop: no periods, the abdomen and mammary glands increase, symptoms of toxicosis appear.
- pathology of the nervous system (anorexia nervosa, in which due to the general depletion of the body, there is a deterioration in the work of all organs and systems, including the work of the ovaries,
- wartime amenorrhea - during severe stressful situations, the development of female sex hormones is inhibited)
- in severe infectious diseases (tuberculosis, hepatitis, sepsis),
- with traumatic injuries of the female genital organs (after abortion, with removal of the intrauterine device, intervention during or after childbirth),
- under the action of ionizing radiation.
What are the symptoms?
Complaints that occur in women with amenorrhea are different and depend on the specific reason for the absence of menstruation:
some have a stomachache in the lower sections. The nature of the pain can be dull and dull (in chronic inflammatory diseases), to severe and paroxysmal (in ectopic pregnancy).
brown discharge from the genitals instead of menstruation appears. This feature is characteristic of endometriosis.
Many, along with the absence of menstruation, are concerned about infertility (in the syndrome of sclerocystic ovaries).
discharge from the nipples. With pituitary tumors an increase in lactation hormone (prolactin) occurs, the body begins to work as if a woman breastfeeds a child - the breast increases, colostrum is produced in the breast, there is no menstrual cycle.
a significant increase in body weight, male-type hair growth indicate hormonal disorders.
What to do in the absence of menstruation?
If a woman doesn’t come monthly for the first time at the appointed time, it is necessary first of all not to panic, but calmly think about what to do next:
- Exclude the most common cause - pregnancy. To do this, you can conduct a study of morning urine at home using a special pharmacy test.
- If the test is negative, you should recall the adverse factors and stressful situations that have occurred over the past 2 months, and which may cause a delay in menstruation.
- If the delay is 1 month or more, then it's time to consult a doctor. A specialist will be able to more reliably establish a pregnancy. If the woman is still not pregnant, the doctor will make a plan for a full examination and identification of gynecological and background diseases, due to which there are no monthly periods.
The main diagnostic procedures that are carried out in such cases:
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs and mammary glands,
- hormonal studies. Ovarian hormones (estrogens and progesterones, and their ratio), hypothalamus (follicle-stimulating and luteinizing hormone) and pituitary (prolactin), thyroid gland (thyroxin) are required to be determined,
- hysteroscopy - introduction into the uterus of the uterus of a special optical device, which allows you to see the state of the endometrium, the presence of additional pathological formations that prevent normal menstruation,
- diagnostic laparoscopy - surgery with the least trauma. After a few small incisions, a laparoscope is inserted into the abdominal cavity. With it, the surgeon sees all the organs of the pelvis on the big screen. It is possible to examine in detail the uterus, ovary and surrounding tissues, and if necessary, it is possible to carry out surgical manipulations (removal of a cyst, cauterization of the foci of endometriosis),
- MRI of the brain and abdominal organs.
Treatment of this problem is always complex, and includes hormonal and anti-inflammatory drugs, therapy for background diseases, taking multivitamins, physiotherapy. In some cases, resorting to surgical treatment.
In no case should not ignore amenorrhea in the hope that maybe it will pass by itself. If you hesitate and postpone a visit to the doctor for a long time, the problem of lack of menstruation can have serious consequences - from an improperly developing tubal pregnancy to infertility.
The female organism of reproductive age functions cyclically. The final stage of this cycle is monthly bleeding. They indicate that the egg is not fertilized, and pregnancy did not come. The regular menstrual cycle indicates coherence in the work of the female body. Delayed monthly is an indication of some failure.
The girl first menstruation takes place at the age of 11 to 15 years. The first time there may be delays that are not related to pathology. The cycle normalizes after 1-1.5 years. Pathology includes the onset of menstruation at the age of less than 11 years, and also if it has not started at the age of 17. If this age is 18-20 years old, then there are problems that can be associated with impaired physical development, ovarian underdevelopment, malfunction of the pituitary gland and others.
Serious women's health issues include:
- irregular cycle
- hormonal disorders
- frequent monthly delays from 5 to 10 days,
- alternation of scarce and heavy bleeding.
A woman needs to acquire a menstrual calendar, which will indicate the beginning and duration of bleeding. In this case, it is easy to notice the delay of menstruation.
The problem of delays in girls and women
The delay of menstruation is considered a failure in the menstrual cycle, when the next bleeding does not occur at the right time. The absence of menstruation for 5 to 7 days does not apply to pathology. This phenomenon occurs at any age: adolescent, childbearing and premenopausal. The reasons for the delay in menstruation can be both physiological and abnormal causes.
Natural causes of puberty include irregular menstruation for 1–1.5 years when the cycle becomes established. In child-bearing age, the physiological causes of delayed menstruation are pregnancy and the period of breastfeeding. With premenopause, the menstrual cycle is gradually reduced, frequent delays turn into a complete extinction of the reproductive function in the female body. Other reasons for the delay of menstruation are not physiological and require the advice of a gynecologist.
Causes of delayed menses
Most often, the delay in menstruation of women who have sex lives is associated with the onset of pregnancy. Also, for a short time, there may be a pulling pain in the lower abdomen, an increase and tenderness of the mammary glands, drowsiness, a change in taste preferences, morning sickness, fatigue. Rarely spotted brownish discharge.
Determine pregnancy can be using a pharmacy test or blood test for hCG. If the pregnancy is not confirmed, then the delay in menstruation could be triggered by other reasons:
- Stress. Each stressful situation, for example, associated with conflicts, work problems, anxiety due to study, can provoke a delay of 5–10 days or even longer.
- Overwork, which is often combined with a stressful situation. Физическая активность, конечно же, полезна для тела, но если она чрезмерная, то это может повлиять на регулярность менструации.Exhaustion, especially in combination with an exhausting diet, adversely affects the synthesis of estrogen, which can lead to a delay in menstruation. Signs of overwork are also migraines, rapid weight loss, deterioration of performance. If due to physical fatigue, there is a delay in menstruation, this means that the body signals the need for respite. The delay in menstruation is observed in women who work at night or with a slippery schedule of work, which involves processing in the days when it is necessary. The cycle is normalized independently when the balance between diet and physical activity is restored.
- Lack of weight or, conversely, overweight. For normal operation of the endocrine system, a woman should keep her BMI normal. Delayed menstruation is often associated with a deficiency or excess weight. At the same time, the cycle is restored after the normalization of body weight. In women with anorexia, menstruation can disappear forever.
- Change the usual life situation. The fact is that the body's biological clock is very important for the normal regulation of the menstrual cycle. If they change, for example, as a result of a flight to a state with a different climate or the start of work at night, there may be a delay in menstruation. If a change in the life rhythm causes a delay in menstruation, it will normalize on its own within a couple of months.
- Colds or inflammatory diseases can also affect menstruation. Each disease can adversely affect the regularity of the cycle and cause a delay in menstruation. This may be acute for chronic diseases, ARVI or any other health problems in the previous month. The regularity of the cycle will be restored within a couple of months.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome is a disease accompanied by a hormonal disruption, which causes irregular menstrual bleeding. Symptoms of polycystic are also excessive hair growth in the area of the face and body, problem skin (acne, fatness), excess weight and difficulty with fertilization. If the gynecologist determines the cause of the delayed monthly polycystic ovary syndrome, he prescribes a course of oral hormonal contraceptives, which contributes to the settlement of the menstrual cycle.
- Any inflammatory or neoplastic disease of the genital organs. In addition to the delay of menstruation, inflammatory processes are accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen and uncharacteristic secretions. They need to be treated on a mandatory basis: such diseases are fraught with complications and even the development of infertility.
- Cyst of the corpus luteum of the ovary. To get rid of it and restore the menstrual cycle, the gynecologist prescribes a course of hormonal drugs.
- Postpartum period. At this time, the pituitary hormone produced by prolactin, which regulates the production of breast milk and inhibits the cyclic work of the ovaries. If after birth there is no breastfeeding, menstruation should begin in about 2 months. If lactation is improving, then the monthly, as a rule, return after its completion.
- Artificial abortion. In this case, the delay of menstruation is common, but does not apply to the norm. In addition to the dramatic hormonal changes in the background, its causes can be mechanical injuries, which only a doctor can detect.
Malfunction of the thyroid gland also provokes irregular menstruation. This is due to the fact that thyroid hormones affect metabolism. With their excess or deficiency, the menstrual cycle is also lost.
Elevated levels of thyroid hormones are characterized by:
- weight loss,
- increased heart rate
- excessive sweating,
- unstable emotional background,
- sleep problems.
With a lack of thyroid hormones, the following symptoms occur:
- weight gain
- the appearance of puffiness
- constant desire to sleep,
- causeless hair loss.
If there is a suspicion that the delay in menstruation is triggered by a malfunction of the thyroid gland, you should contact an endocrinologist.
Taking certain medications can also cause a delay in menstruation. The main ones are:
- Oral hormonal contraceptives - the most common cause of failure of the menstrual cycle, associated with medications. The norm is the delay in menstruation in the interruption of their use or when taking inactive drugs.
- Emergency contraceptive drugs can cause the absence of menstruation for 5 to 10 days, which is associated with a high content of hormones.
- Chemotherapeutic agents used in the treatment of oncology.
- Corticosteroid hormones.
- Calcium channel blockers prescribed in the treatment of hypertension.
- Omeprazole to combat gastric ulcer causes a side effect in the form of delayed menstruation.
Between the ages of 45 and 55, most women enter a climax phase. This is evidenced by the absence of menstruation for a year or more. But menopause never occurs suddenly: for several years before, there is an irregularity of menstruation and frequent delays.
There are still some signs of approaching menopause:
- dry vaginal mucosa,
- increased night sweats,
- unstable emotional background,
- hot flashes.
How to normalize the problem with monthly delays
To determine the correct treatment for delayed menstruation, you first need to identify its cause, the removal of which will help to normalize the cycle. For the treatment of premenstrual syndrome and the normalization of hormonal background, a course of hormonal preparations is prescribed, which:
- Get rid of problems with conception associated with insufficient luteal phase.
- Help restore ovulation.
- Some symptoms of PMS are reduced: irritability, swelling and tenderness of the mammary glands.
If the delay in menstruation is associated with any disease, its treatment will contribute to the settlement of the cycle. Of the preventive measures are the following:
- With a delay of menstruation due to physical overwork or stressful situation, you can restore the balance of the body by rest, as well as a sufficient amount of sleep. It is important to maintain a positive mood and calmly relate to events that can trigger stress. The help of a psychologist will also help.
- Nutrition should be balanced with the necessary content of vitamins and trace elements. You can also drink a course of multivitamins.
- Keeping a calendar of menstruation will help keep track of any changes in the cycle.
- Preventive visits to the gynecologist can prevent any abnormalities in women's health.
A woman in reproductive age must follow the regularity of the cycle. Any violation in the body contributes to the development of various diseases.
Delay of menstruation. When to see a doctor
With the cancellation of hormonal contraceptives, a visit to the doctor is required when the cycle does not recover for several months. With a delay of menstruation associated with lactation, you need to consult with a gynecologist in the case when menstruation does not occur a year after delivery.
In addition to the gynecological examination, the doctor may prescribe the following examinations:
- Measuring and scheduling basal temperature changes to see if ovulation was on this cycle or not.
- Blood test for hCG and various hormones.
- Ultrasound of the pelvic organs, which will help to identify the pregnancy or tumor of the female organs, which caused a delay in menstruation,
- CT and MRI of the brain to exclude ovarian and pituitary tumors.
If non-gynecological diseases are identified that caused the delay in menstruation, consult other specialists.
Types of monthly delays
Monthly delays vary in their duration. After taking emergency contraceptive pills, the delayed menstruation can last 14 days or more. The same period is characteristic after injections of the hormone drug Progesterone, the active ingredient of which is synthetic progesterone. It is prescribed for deficiency in the female body of the corpus luteum. Progesterone helps reduce uterine contractions. When receiving it, only the doctor prescribes the dose and determines the rate of delayed menstruation.
After discontinuation of oral hormonal contraceptives, recovery of the menstrual cycle lasts from 1 to 3 months. During this period, the delay is considered the norm for a week or more: birth control pills change the cyclical nature of the uterus and ovaries. To clarify the work of the ovaries, the doctor sends a woman to an ultrasound.
With diseases of the urogenital system, also contributing to the delay of menstruation, the discharge becomes brown with a sour smell. They are accompanied by a pulling pain in the lower abdomen. Normally, menstruation may begin with a slight brownish discharge.
Delayed menstruation may indicate the latent course of certain diseases of both the genital and internal organs. Of gynecological diseases that may not manifest themselves in addition to the delay of menstruation can be identified: erosion, myoma, cyst, inflammatory process.
A prolonged delay of 1–2 months can be caused by impaired functioning of the adrenal glands, pancreas, pituitary, and hypothalamus. Problems with these organs have a direct effect on the maturation of the egg. When they begin to produce an insufficient amount of hormones, this ultimately leads to ovarian dysfunction.
Ovarian hyperthyroidism with the absence of menstruation for several cycles can be observed when taking or after the abolition of hormonal contraceptives and drugs for the treatment of endometriosis. The cycle is usually restored independently after a few months.
Often, menstrual bleeding is accompanied by blood clots. Consultation with a specialist is necessary when it is regularly and accompanied by painful sensations.
Folk remedies for the treatment of delayed menstruation
Traditional methods of effective treatment of delayed menses are rather peculiar. The use of such funds must be agreed with the doctor, so as not to harm the body. First of all, you should make sure that you are not pregnant: taking herbal medicines can cause miscarriage.
Popular folk remedies to help cause menstruation:
- Herbal infusion of nettle, knotweed, dog rose, elecampane, root of pink radiola and oregano. All components of the mixture can be purchased at the pharmacy, take 2 tablespoons of each type, fall asleep in a thermos and pour a liter of boiling water. Leave to infuse overnight, then strain and drink the entire brew during the day, 0.5 cups at a time.
- Onion husks are washed under running water, placed in a saucepan and boiled for 15-30 minutes. Broth is filtered and taken once in the amount of 1 cup.
- Ginger decoction should be drunk with caution: it can lead to increased restlessness.
- Infusion of angelica has anti-inflammatory and diaphoretic action. It improves the functioning of the nervous system and blood circulation.
- The infusion of a black stalk rhizome relieves headache and depression during menstruation, and also helps regulate the cycle.
- Cardiac motherwort improves the functioning of the heart, reduces pressure, soothes and stimulates the functioning of the uterus.
- White peony tincture reduces pressure, has a sedative effect and improves blood circulation.
- The decoction of the root devyasila refers to one of the strongest tools in traditional medicine. To prepare it, pour a glass of boiling water with a teaspoon of root of an elecampane, insist for 4 hours, strain and drink a teaspoon several times a day.
- Eating celery stimulates uterine contraction.
- Taking a hot bath and applying a heating pad to the lower abdomen. These methods help increase blood flow, but you need to be careful with them. The heater can not be used in the presence of tumors and inflammatory processes.
- Eating foods rich in vitamin C. It regulates the metabolism and is involved in the synthesis of hormones. In large quantities, this vitamin is found in citrus, wild rose, currant, pepper, strawberries and sorrel. During pregnancy, excessive levels of it in the body can cause a miscarriage.
Features of the menstrual cycle
Nature determined the woman to be a mother. At the beginning of the cycle, the woman's body prepares for motherhood, the pituitary gland begins to synthesize hormones that affect the maturation of the egg. The uterus is enriched with blood, nutrients, covered with mucus. After a while (usually on the 14th day of the cycle) ovulation begins: mature cells move to the uterus, where they will wait for fertilization during the day. If it does not occur, all processes are reversed: the activity of hormones is reduced, mucus is exfoliated. Menstruation comes.
The cycle is regular. It is established during puberty and repeats monthly during the reproductive age (up to 45-50 years). For most women, the cycle is equal to the lunar month and lasts 28 days, but the permissible boundaries of the cycle are “21 - 35 days”. Average duration -3 -7 days. If the monthly come in a timely manner, then this is evidence that everything is in order in the female body.
However, failures of the menstrual cycle, especially its repeated and long delays, may be alarms and, if ignored, can lead to serious consequences.
To avoid missing a monthly delay, keep a menstrual calendar.
Natural causes of menstruation delay
During puberty in girls, the menstrual cycle is set up and preparations are made to perform the reproductive function. Due to hormonal changes, the arrival of the monthly is not always regular and accurate, the cycle needs time to stabilize. But long delays in girls aged 17-18 years, when the reproductive system has already been completely formed, should be the reason for the survey. There may be health problems caused by slowing down of physical development, underdevelopment of the uterus and ovaries, dysfunction of the pituitary gland.
During the reproductive period, pregnancy is the natural cause of the delay.
After 40 years, reproductive function decay begins to occur, and the woman gradually moves into the climax phase. Menstruation becomes less abundant, irregular and gradually disappear.
If the delay is not caused by teenage hormonal changes, pregnancy, or the approach of menopause, you need to visit a gynecologist.
When to go to the doctor
In some cases, the delay does not exceed 7 daysmay be a reaction to any obvious factors that have a temporary passing character. For example, recently transferred acute viral disease or rest in the winter in warm countries. In these cases, the woman is usually not physically unwell.. Her cycle, having passed the adaptation period, returns to normal. However, if after the monthly period of menstruation is still not, you need to visit a doctor. If, in the absence of menstruation, there are alarming symptoms such as painful sensations in the chest and abdomen, atypical discharge when pulling the lower abdomen, then after 5-7 days of delay you should consult a gynecologist.
Systematic disruptions of the cycle, even if short-term, also indicate the need for a medical examination, as they are signs of a pathological process occurring in the body.
Often a woman torments herself with the question of why there is no menstruation if she is not pregnant, what are the possible causes. Knowing the factors that could provoke the onset of such a state will help to keep calm, orient oneself in this alarming situation and determine a further plan of action.
If the delay in menstruation has exceeded the 5-day period and is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, you should immediately consult a doctor
Physiological causes of delayed menses
- Stress. Intense mental and emotional stress provoke disorders of the nervous system, directly related to the reproductive system.
- Global change. Climate change, relocation, change in marital status and work are “shocked” primarily for the psyche, which immediately affects the health of the body.
- Excessive Exercise. Exhaustion caused by physical labor, excessive enthusiasm for sports adversely affect the general state of health, undermines the immune reserves.
Organic and functional disorders
- Disturbances in the reproductive-sexual system, such as inflammation and tumor formation. They are fraught with what can lead to infertility. Related symptoms: lower abdomen, bloody, yellowish discharge appears (brown is a sign of endometriosis).
Inspection at a delay of the monthly
If the menstrual cycle is disturbed, excluding a probable pregnancy (a pregnancy test is negative), the woman should carefully analyze her state of health and not delay her examination.
Perhaps the reason for the delay in menstruation is in the adaptation of the organism after a recent illness or in its reaction to a change of seasons.
But it is not worth long to wonder why there is no monthly discharge if there is no pregnancy. In the case when there is a 5-day delay in menstrual flow with marked associated symptoms or a delay of more than a month in the absence of other ailments, a visit to the gynecologist is necessary.
Reliably determine why there was a delay in menstruation, in the competence only the doctor.
The doctor will conduct an examination, including a pelvic examination and ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs, will prescribe blood and urine tests. Since the organism is a complex multifunctional system, it is not always possible to quickly determine the cause of such a failure.
In addition to the main examination, ovulation studies can be prescribed additionally (control of basal body temperature over time), tests for thyroid, ovarian and pituitary hormones. If necessary, observation by a nutritionist, endocrinologist, psychotherapist is possible.
Sometimes, to clarify the clinical picture and make an accurate diagnosis, it is advisable to use methods of laparoscopy and MRI of internal organs and the brain.