The classification is based on two types of amenorrhea - false and true. With a false amenorrhea, cyclic and hormonal changes in the ovaries and uterus are preserved, but menstrual secretions from the genital tract are absent due to any anatomical obstacle. Such obstacles can serve as congenital malformations of the genital organs: atresia of the vagina, cervix or virgin membrane. Thus, depending on the anatomical defect with a false amenorrhea, menstrual blood can accumulate in the fallopian tubes (hematosalpinx), uterine cavity (hematometer), or vagina (hematocolpos).
True amenorrhea is characterized by the absence of menstrual bleeding and the cyclic processes causing them in the body. With true amenorrhea, ovulation is absent, and pregnancy becomes impossible. In turn, depending on the reasons causing it, true amenorrhea can be physiological or pathological.
Physiological amenorrhea is not a painful condition and is caused by natural conditions (pregnancy, breastfeeding) or age periods of a woman (childhood, menopause). In contrast, pathological amenorrhea is an alarming symptom indicating functional or organic disorders in the female body. If menstruation does not occur initially in adolescence, they talk about primary amenorrhea. In cases where regular menstruation is terminated due to any reasons, amenorrhea is considered secondary.
The main causes of primary amenorrhea
The causes of primary amenorrhea can be genetically determined (hereditary), anatomical and psycho-emotional factors. In many patients with primary amenorrhea in the family history, the onset of menstruation in the mother or older sisters is noted later (after 17 years). In such cases, talking about the hereditary factors causing amenorrhea. Primary amenorrhea is observed in Turner syndrome, a disease characterized by the underdevelopment of the sex glands as a result of the abnormal development of the sex chromosomes.
The anatomical factors of primary amenorrhea include general physical retardation, manifested in body features (thinness, lack of weight, undeveloped chest, narrow pelvis, etc.), as well as abnormalities in the development of the genital organs (overgrowth of the vaginal canal or hymen). The main culprits of primary amenorrhea are stresses, severe psycho-emotional upheavals, anorexia, and exhausting physical exertion. Such factors are extremely dangerous for an undeveloped adolescent organism, since they cause disturbances at the stage of formation of the menstrual function.
Treatment of primary amenorrhea
Principles of treatment of primary amenorrhea are aimed at eliminating or correcting the factors that caused it. Life-long hormone replacement therapy (estrogenization) is indicated for patients with Turner syndrome. When physical and reproductive development is delayed, girls are prescribed a diet aimed at building muscle and fat mass and hormonal treatment that stimulates menstrual function. Hormone therapy should be carried out under the strict supervision of a gynecologist and endocrinologist. If the primary amenorrhea is caused by anatomical reasons, surgical removal of obstacles is carried out - the creation of conditions for the normal flow of menstrual blood from the uterus through the sexual ways to the outside.
With increased emotional instability, treatment is carried out aimed at strengthening the nervous system. At a young age, it is especially dangerous to get involved in various diets: restricting yourself in the diet leads to inadequate intake of protein, fat, vitamin-mineral compounds, retarding development, including sexual development, and the development of amenorrhea. You should avoid hobbies power sports: weightlifting, martial arts, bodybuilding, etc.
The main causes of secondary amenorrhea
Secondary amenorrhea occurs in approximately 10% of women aged 17–45 years and is considered as a severe menstrual dysfunction. The factors most often affecting the cessation of established menstruation and the development of secondary amenorrhea are:
- anorexia, progressive weight loss due to tight diets or strenuous exercise - in 38% of women
Most patients with secondary amenorrhea are victims of trendy diets and anorexia, a severe mental and physical disorder characterized by an obsessive desire to lose weight. Targeted refusal to eat, abuse of laxative procedures, artificially induced vomiting during anorexia lead to a sharp weight loss and the development of psychosexual disorders, depression, constipation and secondary amenorrhea.
Hirsutism, acne, impaired fat metabolism, amenorrhea and the absence of pregnancy are characteristic symptoms that can be used to suspect polycystic changes in the ovaries.
- early menopause - in 22% of women
Menopause is considered early (premature) if the menstruation stops in a woman under 40 years of age due to insufficient ovarian function. Long-term stress can provoke premature menopause and amenorrhea.
- hyperprolactinemia - in 11% and other factors of secondary amenorrhea.
Hyperprolactinemia is a condition caused by an increase in the level of the hormone prolactin in the blood. It is characterized by milky secretions from the mammary glands, various disorders of the menstrual function, up to the complete cessation of menstruation - amenorrhea.
In some cases, the cessation of menstruation can serve as a temporary reaction to nervous shocks and recover after a certain time independently, without additional interventions. However, in most cases, secondary amenorrhea requires skilled medical intervention.
Diagnosis of secondary amenorrhea
At the gynecological admission in a patient complaining about the cessation of menstruation, pregnancy is excluded in the first place and the moments provoking the development of secondary amenorrhea are clarified: an interest in diets, physical and mental overload, concomitant diseases, time of menopause in mothers and grandmothers, etc. Gynecologist assesses the height and weight of the patient, their relationship with each other and indicators of the norm. In some cases, dystrophy or, conversely, obesity can cause secondary amenorrhea due to hormonal and physiological disruptions in the body.
If you suspect secondary amenorrhea examination is aimed at identifying the nature of ovarian dysfunction. To this end, the study of the level of hormones (primarily prolactin, gestagens, estrogens, sex chromatin, karyotin), pelvic ultrasound (to exclude polycystic ovary and determine the state of the endometrium). Additionally, a graph of changes in rectal temperature is drawn up; a cytological analysis of a smear of the posterior vaginal fornix is carried out to determine the patient's estrogen saturation.
An important diagnostic test for secondary amenorrhea is the "pupil symptom". During the normal course of the menstrual cycle, from the 6th day to the 20th day, the diameter of the external orifice of the cervix, filled with clear mucus, increases and when viewed resembles a pupil. For amenorrhea is characterized by a slight disclosure of uterine throat and a small amount of mucus. Based on the results obtained, as a rule, the cause of secondary amenorrhea is established and the treatment course is prescribed.
Treatment of secondary amenorrhea
The treatment of secondary amenorrhea is aimed at eliminating the factors causing it.
Amenorrhea, associated with a sharp decrease in weight or physical exertion, is a consequence of a poor lifestyle and requires its change. A critical indicator for the normal course of the menstrual cycle in an adult woman is the loss of 10 or more kilograms of weight, as well as body weight less than 50 kg. Until complete normalization of the menstrual function, progestogen oral contraceptives are usually prescribed that do not contain estrogenic components. Often, secondary amenorrhea is eliminated without hormonal therapy, subject to reasonable physical exertion, rational diet, work and rest, normalization of the psycho-emotional background.
Secondary amenorrhea that develops in polycystic ovary syndrome requires the treatment of a background disease. In order to normalize the ovulatory cycle, polycystosis of the ovaries is prescribed hormonal contraceptives or laparoscopic diathermocoagulation of the organ tissue is performed (if indicated).
Hyperprolactinemia, as a factor in the development of amenorrhea, is eliminated by taking drugs - dopamine agonists that lower the level of prolactin. The effectiveness of treatment is determined by the control of the basal temperature, the increase of which indicates the completion of ovulation. With tumor lesions of the pituitary gland shown neurosurgical intervention. Secondary amenorrhea due to premature menopause is corrected with long-term hormone replacement therapy.
ART and in vitro fertilization, which is successfully applied by modern gynecology, allows women to carry out pregnancy with premature menopause and secondary amenorrhea that cannot be treated. In such cases, a donor egg cell or donor embryo is used for artificial insemination (using ICSI, PIXY or IMSI) methods. Then, the embryos are transplanted into the uterus of the expectant mother.
The sudden cessation of menstruation in women of childbearing age (secondary amenorrhea) is a signal of distress and malfunction in the body requiring attention. Some of them are easily remedied by changes in lifestyle, others need qualified medical care. The danger of amenorrhea is that it is always associated with the female factor of infertility.
The absence of menstruation and hormone-dependent cyclic changes in the reproductive system, accompanying the period of breastfeeding of the child, is called lactational amenorrhea. Lactational amenorrhea is a physiological method of contraception based on the absence of ovulation and, consequently, the impossibility of pregnancy. However, the lactational amenorrhea method is effective only for half a year from the moment of delivery and only during breastfeeding.
The conditions for the effectiveness of lactational amenorrhea as a method of contraception is compliance with the following rules:
- feeding the child for each of his demands at least 6 times a day,
- obligatory night feeding,
- lack of mixed feeding and complementary foods.
The mechanism of lactational amenorrhea is based on the suppression of ovulation in a woman with constant sucking of breast milk by the child, and, consequently, the absence of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy. The effectiveness of the contraceptive effect in lactational amenorrhea is close to 98%. Among the undoubted advantages of the method of lactational amenorrhea - high reliability, naturalness, benefits for the child, ease of use, no side effects, rapid postpartum recovery.
The disadvantages of lactational amenorrhea, as a method of contraception, include the short duration of protection from pregnancy (maximum six months), the mandatory need to comply with all conditions for its effectiveness. In addition, lactational amenorrhea does not guarantee protection against genital infections and venereal diseases (including HIV and hepatitis B). If it is impossible to use lactational amenorrhea as the main method of contraception, one should choose a more reliable means of protection against unwanted pregnancy in conjunction with an observant gynecologist.
Primary Amenorrhea: Causes
In a woman, the causes of primary amenorrhea can be observed if:
- the body is observed abnormal phenomena of a genetic nature.
- The work of such important elements as the pituitary, hypothalamus and brain is impaired. In other words, in people suffering from amenorrhea, the hypothalamic-pituitary system is not able to function normally. It is she who is directly responsible for ensuring that the menstrual cycle goes according to the required schedule and without any irregularities.
- If the genitals develop abnormally. Such violations in their structure are called anatomical. For example, in the normal development of the female body, the uterus is present in it and the vagina does not clot. If it is grated, then this can be one of the main causes of amenorrhea. If the cervix undergoes overgrowth, this is also a reason to sound the alarm and take measures related to the prevention of the disease described in the article.
It should be remembered that in the hymen of any healthy girl there must be a hole. If he is not there, this is also a fairly significant cause for concern.
The fact is that it is in such conditions that “false amenorrhea” develops. As a result of its negative impact, the menstrual blood does not get the opportunity to go outside normally, which can lead to rather negative consequences for the female body.
It is worth noting that “false amenorrhea” does not affect the normal functioning of the ovaries and does not disrupt the flow of the menstrual cycle.
Secondary amenorrhea: causes
Possible causes of secondary amenorrhea:
- The occurrence of secondary amenorrhea can be caused by the regular presence in the daily life of a person of considerable physical stress, a large vagina, etc. Therefore, the fact that this type of disease is often affected by people whose work is directly related to professional sports is completely unsurprising.
- If a woman is constantly malnourished, she is also at increased risk. It is a pity that not everyone knows about it. A woman who is eager to lose weight and who is constantly fond of fashionable mono diets on a permanent basis can become ill with secondary amenorrhea. Therefore, you should not strive too hard to find a slim figure. Excessive zeal for it may well lead to anorexia. And this insidious disease, in turn, is also included in a peculiar list of diseases that can subsequently cause secondary amenorrhea.
- The broken thyroid gland, no less often, becomes a catalyst for the further appearance of secondary amenorrhea. Especially if a woman has hypothyroidism or thyrotoxicosis.
- A swollen pituitary gland often leads to secondary amenorrhea. In medical circles, such a tumor is called prolactinoma. It is classified as benign and increases the level of a hormone called prolactin in the body.
- Patients with ovaries can also trigger secondary amenorrhea. There are several common diseases of these organs. They all happen as a result of endocrine disorders. Syndromes of polycystic, resistant and depleted ovaries occur most frequently in medical practice. If the ovaries swell up, this can also cause secondary amenorrhea. Moreover, specific types of tumors in this case do not matter.
- As already stated at the beginning of this article, a false secondary amenorrhea can appear if the vagina or the cervical canal is overgrown. In addition, it manifests itself when the fusion process occurs directly in the uterus.
- Another reason leading to this disease is a large number of emotional experiences.
Lack of periods - this is amenorrhea
From the description above, it is clear that the absence of menstruation, this is amenorrhea. The symptoms of course are directly related to the cessation of menstruation. In the future, all this leads to a significant impairment of reproductive function and the occurrence of infertility. Other types of symptoms of this disease are distinguished by their specificity and directly depend on the type of the disease itself.
For example, a false amenorrhea causes a woman to experience abdominal pain, which by its nature is very reminiscent of contractions. They end in two or three days. During this process, the mammary glands of the patient, quite possibly, will become noticeably larger, the head will regularly ache and nausea will appear.
The pituitary tumor, as the reader already knows, can also cause amenorrhea. With this form of the disease, the milk expires from the patient's chest, it becomes overly irritable and suffers from all the same headaches.
If the disease is caused by anomalies of a genetic nature, it affects the genitals and prevents them from developing properly. Typically, girls suffering from this pathology are not too harmonious in their own physique. They are very tall and have excessively long arms. While their torso is very small.
Если женщина страдает от аменореи по причине нарушений эндокринного характера, ее обычно бросает в жар, в организме присутствует ощутимая слабость, а сердце болит. Особенно ярко данные симптомы проявляются у молодых барышень. Если у пациентки поликистозные яичники, то она стремительно поправляется, покрывается волосами (речь идет о большинстве телесных участках), а инсулин в крови становится настолько высоким, что это негативно влияет на весь организм.
Any abnormal manifestations of amenorrhea require immediate treatment. To do this, ask for help from a gynecologist.
Medication for Amenorrhea
Proper treatment of amenorrhea depends on the form of the disease and how severe it is. The main task of almost any such treatment is to force the ovaries to function normally again. To do this, doctors use a special therapy, which is called hormone replacement.
For the treatment of adolescents who have delayed puberty, estrogen is most often used. Similar types of drugs are able to assist women whose ovaries function poorly due to endocrine disruption.
Without progestin it will be difficult to cure primary and secondary amenorrhea.
Polycystic ovary syndrome is quickly healed with the help of analogs of special gonadotropin-releasing hormones. They are also able to speed up the process of pregnancy. And with their help they often restore the hypothalamic-pituitary system, thereby curing one of the main types of amenorrhea.
In the event that polycystic ovary syndrome stubbornly does not want to retreat, treatment with combined estrogen-progestin oral contraceptives may help.
In order to heal a barren woman, among other things, suffering from secondary amenorrhea, gynecologists are increasingly turning to the services of anti-estrogens. They are produced exclusively non-synthetic basis.
The duration of treatment for all types of amenorrhea cannot be strictly regulated. It all depends on the individual characteristics of a particular patient and the severity of his illness.
Do not forget about the benefits of homeopathic herbal remedies, which have a positive effect on the normalization of the menstrual cycle and calm the nervous system.
Sometimes for the successful neutralization of amenorrhea, it is necessary to resort even to the services of neurosurgeons. After all, only they are able to carry out the procedure for removing a swollen pituitary gland. Sometimes it is quite possible to do with radiation therapy. And surgeons are often referred for the competent and safe treatment of false amenorrhea.
The use of laparoscopy helps a lot to infertile patients. Thanks to this rather new microsurgical method, they stimulate ovulation, which dramatically increases the likelihood of pregnancy.
There are such types of amenorrhea, for the successful elimination of which it is necessary to focus not on the impact on the disease itself, and not on the fight against what caused it. For example, impressive stress loads, a sharp decrease in body weight parameters, and so on.
Proper lifestyle and regular exercise are also necessary to defeat the disease. Of course, all this should be done, after consulting with a specialist. These nuances are especially relevant if endocrine disorders are caused by amenorrhea. After all, later diabetes or atherosclerosis may also occur.
Amenorrhea treatment of folk remedies
Where, actually, without them? Folk remedies treat amenorrhea. However, it should be immediately emphasized that pregnant women to combat amenorrhea categorically can not turn to herbs and tinctures.
The most popular of the folk remedies for amenorrhea and available to the layman recipes:
Most often, parsley and onions (its husks) are used to combat amenorrhea. They are brewed, and tinctures are drunk three times a day. Naturally, each of the two components is a separate recipe.
The most terrible complication, in addition to the diabetes and infertility already mentioned above, is endometrial cancer. Sometimes women who have had this disease lose their child as a result of miscarriage.
Share "Amenorrhea Causes, Symptoms, Treatment"
There are several types of pathology:
- False amenorrhea - menstrual bleeding in this case is absent, however, hormonal and periodic changes in the ovaries and uterus occur. The cause of this condition is a congenital anatomical obstacle: the uterus, vagina or hymen overgrown. Blood then accumulates in the vagina, uterus or tubes.
- True amenorrhea - the cycle is completely broken, ovulation in a woman does not occur, so she can not get pregnant.
- True physiological - if it is associated with age-related changes in the body or natural states (pregnancy, lactation), then you should not be afraid. But the pathological option should be alerted, because here we are talking about a violation of the physiological function.
And also there is a primary and secondary amenorrhea. The first type is the absence of signs of maturation in girls over the age of 14. This also includes girls who have developed secondary sexual characteristics, but if there are no menstrual bleeding (age - 16 years). Secondary - physiological violation of the cycle for 6 months or more.
A separate type is lactational amenorrhea. In this case, menstruation is absent due to the fact that cyclical changes do not occur in the female body, since the young mother breastfeeds the baby. In fact, the sucking process inhibits ovulation, the egg does not mature and the onset of repeated pregnancy becomes impossible.
The contraceptive method of lactational amenorrhea allows to prevent conception with 98% effectiveness. However, it operates only 6 months after childbirth, and provided that the woman continues breastfeeding. At the same time, giving the baby breast should be at least 6 times a day, you should not skip night feedings, the child at this time should not be given complementary foods or transfer it to a mixed diet.
Lactational amenorrhea is considered a reliable method of contraception, without taking any pills that adversely affect the body. However, you can protect yourself in this way for only half a year. And he is not able to protect women from genital infections.
Causes of development
Before starting treatment for amenorrhea, it is necessary to determine what triggered its appearance. It depends on this tactic of therapy and the methods used. Primary amenorrhea has the following causes of development:
- genetic abnormality
- psycho-emotional factors
- Shereshevsky-Turner syndrome (sex glands are not fully formed, as the abnormal development of sex chromosomes occurs),
- stressful situations
- general developmental delay (physical)
- violation of the endocrine glands: pituitary, hypothalamus,
- problems with the functionality of the brain.
Secondary amenorrhea occurs in 10% of women and is triggered by such reasons:
- chronic poisoning, due to which intoxication occurs,
- the presence of chronic or acute infectious diseases,
- heavy physical exertion (amenorrhea is often found in professional athletes),
- thyroid pathologies,
- genital tuberculosis,
- anorexia (strict adherence to diets, in which there is a sharp decrease in body weight and complete depletion of the body),
- surgery to remove the uterus and ovaries,
- secondary amenorrhea is also provoked by hyperprolactinemia (the amount of the hormone in the blood rises dramatically, so a woman may have discharge from the mammary glands),
- early menopause (if it started in a woman before 40 years),
- polycystic ovaries (this disease is characterized by the absence of pregnancy and lipid metabolism).
When amenorrhea appears, the causes of its occurrence must be established first. Without this, it is impossible to prescribe an effective therapy that can help.
Symptoms of pathology
The main manifestation of primary or secondary amenorrhea is the absence of menstrual bleeding. Such a symptom appears sharply or gradually. For example, menstruation may be absent for several months, and then reappear. However, the disease does not disappear at all, the discharge during this period will be short-lived and very scarce. There are other symptoms of amenorrhea:
- hirsutism - a woman begins to grow male-type hair: above the lip, on the chin, chest, thighs. Most often, this phenomenon provokes polycystic ovary. Additionally, the patient appears acne on the face, increases body weight,
- pain in the abdomen (dysmenorrhea) - This means that blood accumulates in the uterus or vagina. This symptom occurs about 2-3 days. The nature of the pain is often dull and aching,
- galactorrhea - the allocation of different amounts of milk from the glands. For the initial stage of the development of the disease such a symptom is not characteristic,
- acne - the function of the sebaceous glands changes, as a result of which nodules of red color begin to form on the skin. They are quite painful. The main localization of acne is the face
- obesity, as well as impaired metabolic processes in the body,
- infertility - secondary amenorrhea often leads to this. Besides the fact that a woman does not have ovulation, the fertilized cell simply could not be fixed in the uterus,
- osteoporosis is a decrease in bone mineral density.
And you can select some types of amenorrhea, which are characterized by such signs:
According to ICD - 10, pathology has the following codes: primary amenorrhea - 91.0, secondary - 91.1, unclear genesis - 91.2.
What methods and tools will be used for the examination, as well as their volume depends on whether the patient develops primary, secondary or lactational amenorrhea. It is determined by the attending physician. For the diagnosis may need such methods:
- fixing a woman's complaints - while the doctor must find out the reasons that provoked the pathology: physiological defects, mental or physical overload, whether there is a hereditary predisposition. The weight and height of the patient is evaluated,
- gynecological examination,
- study of hormone levels (prolactin, estrogen, cariotin, progestogen),
- Ultrasound of the abdominal cavity and small pelvis. This study will help determine the condition of the endometrium, confirm or deny polycystic ovary,
- scheduling a decrease and increase in rectal temperature,
- blood chemistry,
- cytological examination of a smear taken from the surface of the posterior vaginal fornix,
- determination of karyotype with primary amenorrhea,
- hysteroscopy of the uterus to check the status of the endometrium,
- X-ray, CT, MRI, brain X-ray, and it is necessary to visualize the region of the Turkish saddle,
- hysterosalpingoscopy - this procedure is performed to determine the degree of patency of the fallopian tubes,
- diagnostic laparoscopy.
What is amenorrhea is easy to understand, difficulties begin during its treatment. This disease is treated only after the results of surveys are obtained.
Features of traditional treatment of the disease
Therapy depends on what causes the disease. However, hormonal treatment is used almost always. The patient may be prescribed such drugs to combat primary or secondary amenorrhea:
- Estrogens: Estropharm, Folliculin. They are necessary to restore endocrine disorders of ovarian function. And also they need girls who have a delay in puberty, if the pathology is not provoked by neurological diseases,
- progestin: Utrozhestan, Duphaston. Both primary and secondary amenorrhea are treated with these drugs,
- estrogen and progestogen combined oral contraceptives: Janine. They are effective in existing polycystic ovary,
- synthetic non-hormonal drugs: Clomiphene. They are used to combat infertility caused by secondary amenorrhea. Due to these means ovarian hyperstimulation occurs.
The duration of hormone therapy for amenorrhea (primary or secondary) is determined by the doctor in each specific situation. Gynecologist-endocrinologist must necessarily strictly control the process of treatment.
Often, herbal remedies are prescribed to improve the patient's condition: Remens, Mastodinon. They can adjust the functionality of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, adjust the menstrual cycle.
If the secondary form of the disease is triggered by a sharp decrease in weight due to dieting or a complex emotional state, then in this case it is necessary to take measures to restore full body weight. It is necessary to adjust the nutrition, as well as to eliminate the factors that contribute to the deterioration of the psychological state of the woman. We need drugs to stabilize and strengthen the nervous system.
Treatment of the disease is also performed surgically. This is necessary if the pathology appeared due to anatomical defects in the girl (woman). For example, when the cervical canal is underdeveloped, it is dilated using the Gegar expander. To achieve the desired result, the procedure must be carried out several times.
If splices are detected, they should be removed with the help of hysteroresectoscopy. If amenorrhea has arisen due to incorrect functioning of the pituitary gland, then this gland is destroyed operatively.
In case of polycystic ovary, laparoscopy is applied to the patient. The procedure is minimally invasive, so the patient will not do much harm. Moreover, the recovery process after such an operation has a short duration. During the intervention, the patient removes altered ovarian fragments. After it, a desired pregnancy may occur in 70% of patients.
Treatment of the disease folk remedies
Many women are interested in: if any type of amenorrhea is diagnosed, which can be used for treatment, except for tablets. Hormone therapy will not replace anything, since they eliminate the very cause of the appearance of pathology. However, with this pathology, the use of herbal decoctions or infusions can be an additional method of treatment. Useful for amenorrhea will be such recipes:
- parsley decoction: you need 3 tbsp. l pre-chopped greens pour two cups of boiling water. The liquid should be in a thermos where it is drawn for 10–12 hours. Further, the broth is filtered and consumed with amenorrhea three times a day, 0.5 cups. The course of therapy lasts at least 3 weeks,
- decoction of onion peels: boil it on low heat until the water turns dark. After the liquid has cooled, it needs to be drained and then taken 0.5 cups before meals three times a day,
- chamomile decoction - for its preparation requires 1 tsp. raw materials and a glass of boiled water. It is necessary to drink means as tea,
- tincture of Rhodiola Rosea - you can buy it at the pharmacy. Take it should be 10 drops, diluted in a small amount of water, not more than 3 times per day. It is better to drink the remedy for amenorrhea in the morning and before lunch. A later intake can provoke an increase in nervous excitability, insomnia,
- decoction of Rhodiola - you need 10 grams of crushed plant root and 250 ml of boiling water. For infusion will take at least an hour. This amount of decoction should be divided into 3 servings. Every time you need to prepare a fresh liquid. Prevention of amenorrhea, the symptoms of which are clearly expressed in this way is quite effective. However, you should not use this recipe if a person has increased nervous irritability.
When amenorrhea appears, treatment with folk remedies gives good results, especially if the pathology is provoked by psychological or neurological disorders. However, it only eliminates the symptoms, but not the very cause of the disease.
Possible complications and prevention of the disease
The only completely safe condition is lactational amenorrhea, which is a natural process (if it is not complicated by concomitant diseases). In other cases, in the absence of timely treatment, the patient may experience the following complications:
- vaginal dryness, causing sex life to become painful,
- atrophic colpitis,
- unpleasant hot flashes with a sensation of heat
- endocrine disorders
- high risk of endometrial cancer; hyperplastic processes in the uterus.
Some of the listed complications of amenorrhea will not be cured as a result. Therefore, it is better not to delay the visit to the doctor, he will describe the complexity of amenorrhea, what to do with it in the future.
As for the prevention of amenorrhea, a woman just needs to regularly undergo a routine examination by a gynecologist (twice a year). If necessary, you need to visit a neurologist and an endocrinologist. To prevent the development of amenorrhea will help a healthy lifestyle, regular proper nutrition and timely treatment of inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs.
Women's health maintains regular sex.
Signs of amenorrhea
Hormones are regulators of all physiological processes, therefore hormonal balance in the body is very important. With a lack of biologically active substances, a violation of childbearing functions occurs, which is reflected in the appearance of a woman:
- underdeveloped breasts,
- facial hair,
- acne and other inflamed rashes,
- tendency to the formation of fat deposits,
- inability to conceive.
Medical treatment tactics
One-time skip regul does not yet talk about pathology. Последующий цикл может успешно состояться и пропусков, не связанных с беременностью и кормлением, не будет до наступления климакса. Но риск аменореи при нарушении менструального графика есть всегда. Отсутствие регулярных месячных в течение 6 циклов подряд обязывает врача провести полное обследование пациентки.
Amenorrhea is not treated as such. You need to cure the disease or disorder that provoked it. Therapy is carried out according to the symptoms of infectious, somatic diseases, the body is cleaned of dangerous toxins.
To restore women's health, it is sometimes sufficient to eliminate external and internal stimuli:
- avoid conflicts and related stresses
- to alternate work with relaxation,
- provide a good night’s sleep
- actively engage in physical exercise, sports,
- organize a balanced diet, normalize overweight or underweight.
Amenorrhea in combination with signs of pituitary, endocrine disorders, requires a course of hormone therapy. Natural or synthetic drugs compensate for the lack of hormones, activated their production in the body. Synthesized hormonoids cope with oncological causes of amenorrhea.
With congenital ovarian dysfunction, there is not enough estrogen. This factor prevents the uterus from developing normally. Compensate for the shortage of sex hormones with the drugs Proginova, Divigel, Estrofem.
The lack of follicle stimulants from the pituitary gland of the brain is successfully replenished by Folliculin, Ketodextrin, Estroglandol.
To combat infertility, progestogens that affect ovulation are prescribed - Duphaston, Norkolut, Utrogestan, Pregnin.
How to cope with amenorrhea at home
Treatment with folk remedies is a centuries-old practical experience. Healers, healers relied on the power of healing herbs, herbal medicine was their main weapon in the fight against amenorrhea. The recipe has not passed laboratory studies and clinical trials, therefore, when choosing a method of treatment, you should consult with a gynecologist.
Onions are used in amenorrhea associated with dysfunction of the ovaries.
- Husk with 2 kg of onions boil in 3 liters of water before staining the liquid in a dark color. Cooled strained broth to drink twice for half an hour before eating 100 ml.
- Clean the husks of 10 onions, 2 teaspoons of clove powder boil in 1 liter of water for 10 minutes (under the lid). Strained broth drink thrice a day, 150 ml before meals.
- Grate or punch 8 medium onions in a blender to make 8 tablespoons of onion puree. Add ground mallow root (mallow). Boil 25 minutes in 2 liters of water. Pour 10 g of clove powder, 5 g of ammonia powder. Hold on the stove for 5 minutes, strain through a sieve, squeeze out the residue. Daily portion - 50 ml. Ammonia is contraindicated in gastrointestinal diseases.
Grass contains plant poison and substances causing spontaneous abortion. Only small doses are added..
- Mix 1 g of rue greens and 2 g of parsley seeds, boil in 300-350 ml of water for 10 minutes. Filtered herbal tea to drink daily 2 times in portions of 100 ml.
- Connect 2 parts of green rue, 2 parts of buckthorn bark, 7 parts of rosemary leaves. Each plant needs to be crushed previously. Select 1 tablespoon, insist in 1 cup of boiling water to cool. Strained fluid drink twice in 200 ml for 8 days.
- It will take 2 parts of rue, herbs of cinquefoil, 3 parts of bitter wormwood, juniper berries. Select 2 tablespoons, brew 2 cups of boiling water, strain after 10 minutes. Drink consumed in full at night.
- Mix 2 parts of rue, the same amount of chamomile, 3 parts of rosemary leaves, the same amount of lemon balm. Brew 2 tablespoons of the collection, as in the previous recipe. Divide medicinal drink into 2 doses - morning and evening.
- Make a collection of equal parts of the rue, St. John's wort, yarrow, licorice root, juniper berries. Select and brew 2 tablespoons of the mixture in 400-450 ml of boiling water. Drink 2 cups daily for the night.
Simple recipes based on plant materials effectively help with amenorrhea:
- Grind the leaves of horse sorrel. Select 1 tablespoon, pour a glass of boiling water. Keep warm for 2 hours. Drink strained infusion in a volume of 2 tablespoons 3 times. It is recommended to add honey before taking.
- Chopped juniper (3 tablespoons) pour 1 liter of boiling water, boil for 5 minutes. Pass through a sieve. Take every 2 hours in small sips. Juniper is not recommended for acute renal conditions.
- One half of a teaspoon of parsley seeds is infused from evening to morning in 2 cups of boiled cold water. Drink throughout the day.
- Oregano helps with various violations of the monthly cycle, relieves menstrual pain, eases condition during menopause. For the treatment of amenorrhea, you need to insist 2-3 pinches of herbs in 250 ml of boiling water. You can sweeten with honey, drink with milk. The recommended volume is 3-4 glasses per day. Oregano can cause miscarriage, so before you start taking you need to make sure that there is no pregnancy.
- Menstruation will recover if the infusion of tansy inflorescences is included in the course of treatment.. Per liter of boiling water will need a tablespoon with a slide. The container is wrapped for 2 hours, the liquid is drained. Herbal infusion drink only 2 times a day. The volume of one serving from 30 to 50 ml.
- Nard is rich in substances that can intensify bleeding. Therefore, it has long been used to restore menstruation. A tablespoon of rhizomes, pour 250 ml of boiling water. Soak on the steam bath for a quarter of an hour, set aside for steaming for another 40 minutes. Drain the liquid, squeeze out the rest. Add boiled water to the original volume. The regimen is a teaspoon 4 times a day. The consequences of exceeding the recommended dose - weakness, malaise.
To cause menstruation, at home take phyto baths a two-week course. On 2 tablespoons of the roots of the cuff will need a liter of boiling water. The container is wrapped and insisted for 2 hours, boiled on a quiet fire for 20 minutes, poured through a sieve, wring out. Concentrated broth is diluted in warm water for a bath. The procedure takes 15 minutes daily before bedtime.
Homemade vaginal candles. In the dry garlic powder add melted cocoa butter. The third component can be honey or water. Knead to collect lump. Molded small candles and put in the refrigerator. With amenorrhea, it is recommended to insert into the vagina one at a time.
If the treatment results in a pulling pain in the lower back or lower abdomen, it means that menstruation will soon appear.
Any home method will be effective only subject to the formulation and dosage. Before using folk remedies, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
The main types of amenorrhea and effective methods of dealing with them
Amenorrhea. What is it, what are its consequences and types, how is pathology treated, if the diagnosis is confirmed. This will tell the gynecologist. Eliminate the disease is strongly recommended, because the absence of menstruation, and hence ovulation, does not give the opportunity to conceive and bear the child.
In the normal course of reproductive functions, the menstrual cycle should be renewed every month with an interval of 21-36 days and the obligatory presence of blood secretions. Lack of menstruation is amenorrhea. Its causes are different. It is permissible in girls up to 8-9 years, immediately after menarche, during pregnancy, with the onset of menopause. During lactation, postpartum amenorrhea is not dangerous, although it lasts up to 3 years while breastfeeding is maintained. In the rest of the time, the monthly should occur regularly.
Non-pathological causes of amenorrhea:
- use of hormonal contraceptives (oral contraceptive drug) or drugs,
- after childbirth,
- stress (temporary amenorrhea),
- due to weight loss
- previous or ongoing bacterial and viral diseases (pneumonia, influenza, etc.).
The effects of amenorrhea disappear after several cycles, when the hormonal balance returns to normal.
Pathology may be due to a violation of the biochemical, physiological, genetic, anatomical nature. Amenorrhea causes the following symptoms: there is no menstruation for a long time, abdominal pain, acne, metabolic disorders, milk excretion not associated with lactation. If such a clinical picture is found, examination is necessary.
What is physiological amenorrhea? This is the absence of menstruation, when a sufficient level of progesterone is maintained in the tissues. The hormone prevents the rejection of the endometrium and inhibits the reduction of smooth muscles of the uterus. Amenorrhea can be associated with the patient's age (children, elderly) or the hormonal state of the body without pathological reasons: carrying a child, breastfeeding, puberty, etc.
The girls after menarche are normal for 3 months, there may be no menstruation. Physiological amenorrhea does not require radical treatment, but after a medical examination, hormonal adjustment is possible within 12 months while the ovaries mature.
False amenorrhea occurs due to mechanical (congenital, acquired, anatomical) obstacles to the release of secretions when the genitals and glands function correctly. False amenorrhea is characteristic of patients with a high density of the hymen or atresia of the vagina, it occurs against the background of anomalous development of the cervix, polyps in the cervical canal, defects in the structure of the genital organs.
In girls, deviations in the formation of the vagina, the uterus can begin even inside the womb. False amenorrhea is treated surgically when there is the possibility of eliminating anatomical defects. If the menarche has come in time, but the blood outlet, for example, is blocked, with a septum, the whole menstrual fluid remains inside. This process, caused by a violation of the outflow of blood, provokes inflammation in the abdominal cavity, the uterus.
Developed as a result of gynecological or endocrine pathology. True amenorrhea occurs with ovarian dysfunction, hormone imbalance, and manifests itself by a prolonged absence of menstruation. Pathology requires great effort during treatment.
Classification of true amenorrhea:
After the artificial termination of pregnancy, when alcohol-containing drugs are administered into the vagina, a uterine form of amenorrhea (secondary) occurs. It can be a consequence of tuberculosis, re-scraping, sepsis. The reason is that when a certain endometrium site is locally damaged, it stops growing.
Amenorrhea and its attendant state:
- osteoporosis (bone tissue is destroyed),
- atherosclerosis (the circulatory system is affected),
- autonomic dysfunction (dysfunction of the CNS, cardiovascular system),
- hirsutism (body hair and face),
- climax ahead of time.
Primary amenorrhea in adolescents is diagnosed in the absence of breast development, pubic and axillary hair growth up to 14 years of age. It is unnatural and a condition where secondary sexual characteristics are normal, but there is no menarche upon reaching 16 years of age.
Pathological amenorrhea is suspected if menstruation was previously at least once, and the last six months have not appeared monthly. Its causes: anatomical anomaly of the genital organs, disorders of the ovaries, chromosomal abnormality.
Diagnosis of amenorrhea
Find the factor that caused amenorrhea, will help complete diagnosis: gynecological examination, blood and urine for general analysis. Additionally, you will need to consult an endocrinologist, a neuropathologist, a nutritionist, a pediatrician, or a therapist. Amenorrhea in adolescents and women of reproductive age is confirmed by the results of laboratory and hardware research.
- hysterosalpingoscopy of fallopian tubes,
- ovarian laparoscopy (diagnostic),
- hysteroscopy of the uterine cavity,
- hormonal colpocytology,
- X-ray of the Turkish saddle, skull,
- Ultrasound located in the pelvis organs,
- MRI of the brain.
In addition, they study a set of X-chromosomes, conducting cytogenetic research and karyotyping. It is necessary to determine the levels of hormones: gonadotropin, estrogen, progesterone, as well as prolactin, TSH, LH, FSH.
Traditional medicine for amenorrhea
Herbal preparations can eliminate the pathology of the secondary form, when surgery is not needed. Uterine amenorrhea, in which women lose their ability to conceive, in addition to herbal therapy, requires the additional use of medicines and other methods. It should be remembered that the methods of traditional medicine is not a panacea, many of them are characterized by the presence of serious contraindications, and the effect they cause is the key to long-term treatment.
Kalina with amenorrhea
Bark and berries of Viburnum consumed in the form of alcohol tinctures and juice. Apply them in the absence of menstruation, menorrhagia, painful menstruation, fibromyoma, cysts (ovarian amenorrhea). Contraindications are a high degree of thrombosis, hypotension, increased acidity, arthritis, renal pathology. It is not recommended to take viburnum preparations for a long time.
Amenorrhea in girls after 18 years is treated with alcohol tincture. Method of preparation: grind 1 cup of viburnum bark, pour 500 ml of vodka and infuse in a dark place for 7 days in a closed glass jar, shaking the contents regularly. Drink 3 times before meals, diluting 1 tsp. drug in 80 ml of water.
Borovaya uterus with amenorrhea
This herb normalizes the organs of the reproductive system, stabilizes the menstrual cycle and hormones, increases the chance of conception, suppresses inflammatory processes and prevents spikes from developing.
Borovoy uterus is prohibited to take simultaneously with hormonal drugs.
Borovaya uterus with amenorrhea is used in the form of tincture (15 drops before meals 4 times a day), tea (2 tablespoons per 500 ml of boiling water, drink half a glass in 4 doses per day, 40 minutes before eating).
Parsley with amenorrhea
The garden plant contains ascorbic and folic acids, calcium, vitamin B, and magnesium. They help to restore the menstrual cycle, accelerate the treatment of amenorrhea. Contraindications to parsley: jade, stones in the urinary system, diseases of the joints. Overdose can cause migraines, hallucinations, convulsions.
Use freshly squeezed parsley juice diluted with water, an infusion made from the aerial part of the plant. The first is prepared using a juicer and drink no longer than 10 days for 1 tsp. 3 times a day. An infusion of greens soars 10 hours in a thermos, half a liter of boiling water is taken in and taken 2 weeks in a row 150 ml three times before meals, then a 7-day break is taken.
Rhodiola rosea with amenorrhea
Another name for this plant is the golden root. It levels the hormonal balance, removes toxins, dilates blood vessels, improves the filling of tissues with oxygen, stimulates the central nervous system. Rhodiola preparations are consumed up to 14 hours so that in the 2nd half of the day the body can prepare for sleep. They are treated for 3 months, taking medicines 3 times a day, half an hour before meals. 10 drops of alcohol tincture diluted in 4 tbsp. l drinking water and swallowing without drinking. Hot infusion may be replaced: 10 g of the root is brewed in 250 ml of boiling water. Take a third of the glass during the day.
How to cause monthly with amenorrhea? Medicinal plants are capable of doing this. They contain a large number of trace elements that positively affect the endocrine, nervous and reproductive systems of women. The most important selenium, magnesium, zinc, as well as substances coumarins, alkaloids, glycosides.
It is worth remembering that amenorrhea is characterized by long-term treatment, therefore therapy with phytopreparations is prescribed in addition to conservative and surgical methods.
Causes of Amenorrhea
Lack of menstruation can be the result of various pathologies of internal organs. Amenorrhea is caused not only by diseases of the reproductive system, but also by poor social conditions, the unstable psychological state of a woman. Constant stress, poor diet, a sharp change in weight - all this can lead to illness.
Prolonged amenorrhea results in endocrine disruption, cancer, menopause, and abnormalities in the development of the genital organs.
Causes of amenorrhea can be congenital and acquired. In the first case, the symptom appears due to the abnormal development of the reproductive system.
Among the factors that prevent regular monthly, experts identify the following:
- hormonal disorders in the fertile period,
- oncological diseases of the hypothalamic-pituitary system,
- menopause at an early age
- ovarian depletion
- ovarian hyper retardation,
- stress, depression,
- poor social conditions
- sudden weight loss
- genital trauma.
The roots of the cuff ordinary
In the treatment of amenorrhea, the root of the cuff has proven itself well. To make a remedy out of it, you need to take a small piece of the root and grind it. Two spoons of raw materials are poured with a liter of boiling water and insist two hours.
After infusion, the composition should be boiled for 20 minutes. The finished liquid filter. Next, the bath is recruited with a water temperature of 35-38 degrees, the prepared product is added there.
The procedure is recommended to take at bedtime for 15 minutes. Treatment lasts up to 2 weeks. If it is necessary to repeat the course, then wait a week and begin re-bathing.
Effective remedy - viburnum, filled with olive oil. For the preparation of therapeutic mixture take half a liter of oil and a glass of viburnum berries. They are ground by a blender, filled with oil. Состав настаивается 2 недели. Принимают его по 2 стол. ложки на голодный желудок на ночь.
Многие слышали о пользе петрушки. But few people know that it is used to treat various pathologies, including amenorrhea. For the preparation of healing tools will need 3 spoons of raw materials and a glass of boiling water. The composition is infused overnight. In the morning it is filtered. Take the infusion for half a cup 4 times a day. You can get parsley for up to 3 weeks, after which you take a ten-day break and repeat the course.
Helps to cope with onion peel ailment. To make a remedy out of it, you will need to clear two kilograms of onion, pour 3 liters of water from the husk.
The composition is cooked until it becomes dark brown, almost black. Then the agent is allowed to cool. Before applying the broth is filtered. Take half a glass twice a day.
You can cook another tool with onion peel. For it will need to clean eight bulbs, the resulting husks pour a liter of water. The composition add two spoons of cloves, boil for 10 minutes. After cooling the medium is filtered. Take this medicine for 2/3 cup three times a day.
Amenorrhea can be treated with herbal preparations. They help to quickly normalize the function of the reproductive system. For the preparation of healing tools will need:
- 1 spoon shepherd's bag,
- 2 tablespoons of a highlander bird,
- 1/3 spoon of velvet root and the same licorice,
- 0.5 tablespoons nettle roots.
The ingredients are mixed, then all raw materials are poured 600 ml of boiling water, heated in a water bath until a third of the volume remains. The composition is allowed to brew for half an hour. Take the remedy three times a day, two spoons.
For the preparation of another medicinal product, take the root of the forest mallow, 10 spoons of onion twisted in a meat grinder. All components are mixed and filled with 2 liters of water. The product is boiled for 20 minutes, after which 5 g of dry ammonia, 10 g of cloves are added to the composition and another 5 minutes are left to boil. After cooling, the composition is filtered. Take a drink 50 g twice a day.
Helps to cope with amenorrhea infusion of thyme and chamomile. To prepare it, you need to take a spoonful of herbs and pour them with half liter of boiling water. Means infused half an hour. It is accepted on a glass to three times a day.
Principles of nutrition with amenorrhea
Nutrition for amenorrhea depends on the general condition at the time of the symptom. Most often, menstruation stops when a woman seeks to correct weight in the direction of reduction. If menstruation is absent in women with excessive thinness, then selected products that allow you to increase weight.
Drawing up the right diet is best left to a specialist.
It will help you choose a balanced, high-calorie menu, consisting of vegetables, fruits, meat products. The diet will include dishes that contribute to the onset of menstruation: onions, radishes, garlic, white cabbage, pepper and others. Properly prepared dietary table will help to start menstruation, and amenorrhea can be forgotten.
Nutrition with amenorrhea with overweight
Properly chosen diet with amenorrhea can cope with the disease and women suffering from overweight. An important component is the correct calculation of the diet, the introduction to the menu of useful products. Excess weight inhibits the normal reproductive function of the body, it should be adjusted.
With overweight, the total caloric intake should be reduced. To do this, remove all carbohydrates from the menu: flour, sweets, sugar. Useful for restoring menstruation split meals. Positively affects women's health blind diet. Its essence is to exclude products containing starch and proteins, only vegetables and fruits remain in the diet. Useful alternation blind diet with starvation. But do not go to extremes, as the abuse of hunger strike can lead to other problems.
Acceptance of phytoestrogens with amenorrhea
Nature has created unique plants that contain substances similar to human hormones - phytoestrogens. Such plants can increase the level of the female sex hormone and stimulate its production.
And if estrogen is initially a lot in the body, then the plants help to reduce the concentration of the hormone. Phytoestrogens are found in fruits, soybeans and vegetables. These foods must be included in the diet with amenorrhea.
Harmful products with amenorrhea
When pathology can not lower the level of progesterone in the blood. Usually, its decrease occurs under the action of insulin, and it, in turn, is produced in large quantities when carbohydrates enter the body. Therefore, at the time of treatment of menstrual disorders, it is necessary to exclude from the diet sugar, flour products, any sweets.
Also, do not eat sausages, fatty foods. Their excessive absorption leads to increased insulin production.
Folk methods can cope with amenorrhea in cases where this disease is not associated with serious pathologies, but is a manifestation of stress, depression, overweight or thinness. In other cases, it is necessary to conduct medical treatment of the underlying pathology. After its elimination the menstruation is normalized.
What is amenorrhea?
If you translate literally from the Greek language, then the disease means denial - “month” and “current”. More simply, it is the absence of menstruation in women. But this disease is called not just the absence of menstruation, but a long absence, which lasts more than six months, for those representatives of the beautiful half who are over sixteen years old, but under forty-five. This disease shows that some kind of failure has occurred in the female body. These disruptions include emotional strain, psychological state and biochemical processes.
Types of amenorrhea
There are several types of amenorrhea:
False amenorrhea. This type can be attributed, for example, when the menstruation process proceeds normally, but, for one reason or another, the blood does not leave the body. This can be, for example, any congenital pathology, as well as deviations acquired during life. A rather vivid example of this is the overgrowing of the hymen or vagina. Here we are talking about acquired mechanical obstacles. Some abnormalities can only be diagnosed with an ultrasound scan, in any case the word “mechanical” is defining here.
True amenorrhea is the absence of a monthly cycle in girls. Here the absence of the menstrual cycle, but without visible hormonal signs and changes in the reproductive system. A woman’s ability to become pregnant is completely lost.
Physiological amenorrhea is called the absence of a cycle due to various age deviations. Deviations can occur both during the maturation of the body, and after its termination, the disease can manifest itself and end. Here we are not talking about the disease, as it is completely normal. For example, some women lose their ability to menstrual cycle during breastfeeding. Or after pregnancy, while the body is recovering.
Pathological amenorrhea is the most serious type of amenorrhea. Here we are talking about a violation in the body. In this case, the reproductive possibility may be completely lost. Most often this happens in those girls who have never had a monthly cycle, that is, young or, on the contrary, women in middle age. Violations are both functional and organic.
The clinical picture of amenorrhea
If we are talking about an abnormal development - such as overgrowth, or atresia, of the vagina - then a certain flow system can be identified in the disease. The first is the manifestation of distinct pain, usually in the lower abdomen. A more severe course may occur, with it, blood that is not excreted in the usual way will go up and enter the intestine. The pain may be in this case already in the lumbar region.
Blood may also be released from extragenital organs. In this case, the pain in the lumbar region will have a pulling character.
Expert Editor: Pavel Alexandrovich Mochalov | D.M.N. general practitioner
Education: Moscow Medical Institute. I. M. Sechenov, specialty - “Medicine” in 1991, in 1993 “Occupational diseases”, in 1996 “Therapy”.
Amenorrhea - methods of dealing with the pathology
Every girl at least once dreamed that her periods stopped. Especially if they did not start on time or violated plans. However, this “rest” from critical days, called amenorrhea in medicine, is extremely dangerous and requires treatment, since the absence of menstruation can lead to the development of infertility.
Characteristics of the pathology: the reasons for the absence
Amenorrhea is a violation of the menstrual function, in which a woman has no menstrual periods for more than 6 months. This condition is not a disease. This is a symptom that signals the flow of certain disorders in the body. Gynecological, endocrine and neurological problems are most often the basis for the development of pathology.
Amenorrhea is a pathology in which there are no menses for 6 months or more.
But sometimes the absence of menstruation is the norm. In this case, talking about physiological amenorrhea.
Such a phenomenon may be caused by:
- the period before puberty,
- lactation (lactational amenorrhea),
- post menopausal period.
In other cases, doctors talk about pathological amenorrhea.
Classification of pathology: primary, secondary, hypergonadotropic, hypogonadotropic, false and other forms of amenorrhea
Amenorrhea can be:
- Primary. This form is characterized by the absence of menstruation in a 16-year-old girl. At the same time there are signs of puberty (the presence of hair in the armpits, pubic, developed mammary glands).
- Secondary. Monthly bleeding stopped spontaneously and is absent for more than six months.
In addition, emit:
- False amenorrhea. In a patient, the absence of menstruation is caused by an abnormal development of the reproductive system. This can be observed when the hymen is overgrown. Normal hormonal fluctuations occur in the body, but menstruation is impossible as a result of a mechanical barrier.
- Iatrogenic. Pathology provoked by medical intervention. Surgery to remove the ovaries and uterus can lead to amenorrhea. Lack of menstruation may be caused by taking certain medications.
Primary amenorrhea is the absence of menstruation in a 16-year-old girl.
Doctors have developed another etiotropic classification, including these types:
- Normogonadotropic amenorrhea. In the body of a woman there is a normal level of gonadotropins. Sex hormones (progesterone and estrogen) are produced in the right quantity. Termination of menstruation signals uterine dysfunction. Most often, this form of pathology occurs after curettage, with endometrial abnormalities.
- Hypogonadotropic form. This is a difficult pathology. It is characterized by a decrease in the level of estrogen and gonadotropins.
- Hypergonadotropic. Developed as a result of increased production of gonadotropins in the body while reducing ovarian function.
Analyzing the causes of amenorrhea, doctors give the following classification:
- Pathology of central genesis. The basis for the development of anomalies are violations in the work of some parts of the brain (hypothalamus, pituitary). They are responsible for the functioning of the ovaries.
- Uterine form. The problem is caused by malformations of the organ or acquired pathologies (coarse curettage, the presence of adhesions).
- Ovary. Amenorrhea is caused by improper functioning of the ovaries or their abnormal structure.
- Adrenal form. The absence of menstruation is dictated by pathologies of secretion glands, localized in the kidney area. They produce sex and corticosteroid hormones.
- Amenorrhea caused by thyroid abnormalities. This gland produces the necessary hormones for the normal existence of the body.
Methods of treatment of the absence of menstruation
Tactics of treatment of amenorrhea completely depends on the reasons that provoked the pathology. In some cases, it is enough to eliminate the sources of the problem so that the menstrual cycle is fully restored.. But sometimes the process can be delayed for a long time. For some women, therapy is prescribed for the entire period, before the onset of menopause.
With amenorrhea, a woman should consult a gynecologist. Diagnostic measures will be assigned to the patient to determine the causes:
- gynecological examination,
- Ultrasound of the peritoneum,
- hormone tests
- MRI of the brain
- hysteroscopy (allows to detect fusion in the uterus),
- laparoscopy (determines polycystic ovary).
In addition, the woman will be referred for consultations to:
For any irregularities in the menstrual cycle, a woman must refer to a gynecologist.
Only by comparing all the studies, the specialist will recommend the necessary treatment to the patient:
- lifestyle correction,
- drug therapy,
- physiotherapeutic methods
- folk remedies,
- homeopathic treatment
- surgical intervention.
Treatment of amenorrhea begins with the correction of lifestyle. Doctors recommend to pay attention to the following points:
- Nutrition. Amenorrhea can develop in women suffering from obesity. Often, pathology is diagnosed in girls who exhaust themselves with various diets.
- Physical exercise. Women who are too keen on strength training often face amenorrhea. Against the background of physical stress, the body gives a command to stop the cycle.
Treatment of amenorrhea begins with the correction of lifestyle, including walks in the fresh rest, proper rest, avoidance of stress
If the problem is caused by an incorrect diet, then you should discuss the basics of your menu with a competent dietitian.
The nutrition of a woman suffering from amenorrhea on the background of fasting should include:
- Foods rich in Omega 3. In the diet you need to add:
- Cod liver,
- linseed oil,
- fish fat.
- Iron products. The record for iron content is considered lean beef. Also the menu needs to be enriched:
- green beans,
- salad with a purple color,
- baked potatoes.
- Protein food. It helps to restore hormonal balance. Women need:
- cottage cheese,
- poultry meat
- hard cheeses
- dairy products.
- Foods containing vitamin D. This food stabilizes hormones and helps to improve the intercellular interaction. Help the body will bring:
- egg yolks,
- Dark chocolate. The product acts on the body like estrogen. It provides stabilization of microcirculation and prevents the risk of blood coagulation.
Amenorrhea, provoked by starvation, is very difficult to treat. Lack of nutrients leads to the suppression of hormone production. As a result, the ovaries cannot function normally. In the severe form of the disease, irreversible processes occur in them, leading to the loss of genital functions.
If the pathology is caused by obesity (overweight), then the diet should be low-calorie, but at the same time enrich the body with all nutrients.
With amenorrhea, which arose against the background of excessive weight, you must switch to a low-calorie diet
- Approximately 2/3 of the ration should be vegetables, fruits, cereals (only water).
- It is necessary to eat food in small portions, but quite often - about 6 times a day.
- The body needs animal proteins to enrich with essential amino acids. It is best to choose seafood for these purposes.
- Preference is given to vegetable proteins (they make up 2/3 in the diet). Useful legumes, soybeans, cereals, mushrooms.
- Excellent effect will provide complex carbohydrates (difficult to absorb). The menu should include:
- coarse flour products.
- Nutrition is enriched with vegetable fats:
- sunflower seeds,
- vegetable oil.
Doctors state that amenorrhea is often diagnosed in women involved in professional sports. Exercise is harmful. But completely exclude classes should not be.
- bicycle riding,
- ski walks.
The exercise therapy trainers give the following simple exercises that help the patient to restore the menstrual cycle:
- Standing Hands go up. The body flexes back. Then return to the starting position.
- Standing Hands at the top are linked “to the lock”. Circular movements of the hips in one and the other side.
- Standing Hand hold the back of the chair. The leg rises, bends at the knee. Repeat for each leg.
- Standing by the chair. Mahi straight leg.
- Sitting down Legs stretched. Bend over each leg, trying to reach the toe.
- Sitting down Hold your hands behind your back. The body rises, with a deflection in the lower back.
- Sitting down Hands in front of the chest, elbows bent. Turns the torso in one and the other side.
- Lying down Hands along the body. The legs are bent, the feet are on the floor. Alternately raise the legs and pressed to the chest.
In the inverted positions, the blood flow in the pelvis is changed, the stagnation of lymph and blood is eliminated, thereby regulating the menstrual cycle
Very useful for amenorrhea yoga.
For amenorrhea, vibration massage is recommended in the zone of 1-2 lumbar vertebra and the last thoracic.
Vibrating massage (patting, tapping) in the zone 1-2 lumbar and lower thoracic vertebrae allows you to restore the menstrual cycle
This procedure allows you to achieve:
- improve blood supply in the pelvis,
- irritation of nerve endings in contact with the uterus, ovaries,
- the appearance of menstruation with insufficient functioning of the reproductive system,
- beneficial effects on the entire body.
The procedure should be carried out exclusively by a competent specialist. Vibrating massage has a number of contraindications, if you ignore which event can lead to serious consequences.
Hormone therapy: Duphaston, Klostilbegit, Regulon and other drugs
In the treatment of amenorrhea use the following groups of drugs:
- Estrogen Needed for patients with endocrine pathologies affecting the functioning of the ovaries. This group of drugs may be recommended for girls who have a delay in puberty. The doctor usually prescribes:
- Analogs of gonadotropin-releasing hormones. These remedies are used to treat women suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome. The mechanism of drug effects is aimed at inducing ovulation. These medications are also prescribed for primary amenorrhea, which is provoked by problems in the hypothalamic-pituitary system. Representatives of this group are drugs:
- Progestin Medications may be recommended for the treatment of both primary and secondary amenorrhea. The following drugs are used:
- Combined oral contraceptives. Such drugs are prescribed to patients in whom amenorrhea has developed against the background of polycystic ovaries. Most effective:
- Non-steroidal synthetic drugs-antiestrogens. These tools are used exclusively for secondary amenorrhea. The mechanism of their action consists in ovarian hyperstimulation. This task is effectively handled by medications:
- Combined drugs for HRT. They help to cope with the pathology caused by surgery. Contributes to the normalization of the menstrual cycle drug Femoston.
Additional therapy: folic acid, Yves Ker, Metformin, Dostinex, Melilotin, Time Factor, vitamin E and other means
Pathology treatment may include:
- Supplements. These drugs regulate the menstrual cycle. Effective recognized:
- Yves Ker,
- Time Factor
- Preparations to combat the major diseases that provoke amenorrhea. If the pathology is caused by abnormalities in the thyroid, the treatment is based on medications:
- With polycystic ovary syndrome, the doctor prescribes:
- Metformin (at the first stage of treatment),
- Clomiphene (in the second phase of therapy).
- With polycystic ovary syndrome, the doctor prescribes:
- Prolactin inhibitors. These drugs help to cope with lactational amenorrhea. The drug Dostinex is recommended.
- Vitamin complexes. For the female body during the period of amenorrhea, an adequate supply of minerals and vitamins is necessary. For these purposes, the doctor prescribes:
- folic acid
- ascorbic acid
- vitamin E, B6,
- An excellent vitamin-mineral complex, which is suitable for young girls and mature women, is Cyclowitz.
- Soothing medication. If amenorrhea is caused by psycho-emotional stress, then drugs are included in the treatment:
- Novo Passit,
Physical therapy is recommended for general body strengthening. The doctor may prescribe the following activities to the patient:
- Galvanization of the collar area (Scherbak technique). Such procedures are prescribed for the primary form of central genesis.
Galvanization of the collar area can significantly improve the condition of women
Unconventional treatment: chamomile tea, parsley drink, broth of the pine forest
Some women pay attention to unconventional treatments. Many of these recipes can really help restore health. But sometimes they have the exact opposite effect, aggravating the patient's condition. Delaying the necessary treatment leads to the irreversibility of the pathology. And it threatens with barrenness. Therefore, the use of folk remedies is possible only after consulting with your doctor.
Perceptible help can bring the following recipes:
- Parsley Drink:
- parsley leaves (2 tbsp. l.) pour boiling water (0.5 l),
- means to boil for 10 minutes,
- add honey and lemon juice to your taste
- This remedy is recommended to be consumed for 1-2 months, instead of plain water.
- Chamomile tea. It will be beneficial if amenorrhea is provoked by psychological factors. You can recover from the pathology in 1-2 weeks, using a tasty drink instead of regular tea.
- Medicinal tincture. It is necessary to mix 50 ml of such components:
- tincture Leuzea,
- extract of Eleutherococcus,
- tincture of aralia,
- The resulting medication is consumed within 2 months, 30–40 drops twice a day before meals. This tool helps to cope with various forms of amenorrhea and is not addictive. However, it is contraindicated in pathologies of the heart, neurasthenia, mental arousal.
- Broth uterine uterus:
- dry grass (1 tbsp. l.) pour boiling water (1 tbsp.),
- boil on low heat for about 10 minutes,
- strain the broth and cool,
- take 5 times a day for 1 tbsp. l
Ayurvedic products: black cumin oil, Chyawanprash, Varuna
Such treatment is based on the harmonization of the body. Ayurveda is an ancient teaching that includes the natural system of self-healing and self-regulation..
To establish the menstrual cycle, restore hormonal balance, fight the inflammatory processes in the reproductive system, allows oil of black cumin. It is used for staging tampons (in case of endometrial atrophy), for rubbing the genitals (for inflammatory processes), for ingestion (for endometriosis, polycystic).
To fight with amenorrhea provoked by polycystic helps a drink:
- Ginger root (corresponding to 2-3 cloves of garlic) is crushed.
- Pour boiling water (400 ml) and boil on low heat for 30–40 minutes.
- Strain the broth. Black cumin seed oil (2 tsp) is introduced into the mixture. Honey is added to taste.
- Drink 1 glass 2 times a day.
Black cumin oil restores hormonal balance, relieves inflammation, normalizes the menstrual cycle
There are special preparations developed according to the most ancient recipes of Ayurveda, which help to restore the menstrual cycle:
- Chyawanprash euro,
- Triphala Guggul,
Homeopathy: Cyclodinone, Remens, Klimadinon, Mastodinon
With violations of the menstrual cycle, homeopathy comes to the rescue of women. These tools allow you to adjust the hormonal background, thereby giving the opportunity to experience the joy of motherhood.
For the treatment of amenorrhea can be prescribed such drugs:
- Cyclodinone. Contributes to the normalization of the synthesis of gonadotropic hormones. Assigned to regulate the menstrual cycle, it helps with PMS (premenstrual syndrome).
- Remens. The drug normalizes the menstrual cycle, eliminates irritability, psycho-emotional disorders. Remens has an anti-inflammatory effect on the tissues of the uterus and ovaries.
- Klimadinon. Differs sedative and estrogen-like effects. It is recommended for the secondary form, in which the reduced functionality of the ovaries is diagnosed.
- Mastodinon. Reduces the secretion of prolactin. It is recommended for amenorrhea, provoked deficiency of the corpus luteum.
Sometimes to restore the menstrual cycle is necessary to resort to surgery.
Surgical treatment is recommended in such cases:
- brain neoplasms,
- polycystic ovaries,
- the presence of scars, adhesions in the reproductive system,
- education in the uterus (eg, fibroids),
- ovarian tumors,
- pathological structure of appendages,
- abnormal features of the vagina (excessively dense chaff, transverse partition).
Strictly following all the recommendations of the doctor, a woman will be able to restore the menstrual cycle
Modern medicine allows operations with minimal risks of complications and side effects. Therefore, to be afraid of surgery should not be.
Reviews of women about the treatment of amenorrhea
I have no menstruation for 1.5 years. Long saw thyroid hormones as prescribed by a doctor. The reason was not the case. I sin on weight loss. Gained its usual weight 2 months ago. I drink Cyclodinone month. No results (except for the white selection, which was not). Libido increased slightly.
I don’t want to see a doctor yet - I've heard plenty of delirium.
And in any way appointed Duphaston. I read it, take it along with estrogen.
I had a loss of menses for an unknown reason. We returned after such a course: B1, B2, B6, aloe, every day (in different combinations, I don’t remember the combinations now, unfortunately, it is necessary to find out from doctors what you can and cannot do) with a / m for a month. after that it worked as it should.
I have amenorrhea for 7 years, now I’m 28 .... I can't get pregnant, no matter how I was treated. What is it (amenorrhea) due to say no one can. They started treating with homeopathy and reached hormones, now the diagnosis is early menopause ...
It’s impossible to live with early menopause, not sugar, starting from physiology and ending with psychological problems.
I did not have monthly for about a year, I did not know what to do. He drank Duphaston, Diane-35, recovered by 20 kg., Menstruation went only with pills. The homeopathic doctor helped, everything was restored, the excess weight goes away.
Causes of Monthly Disappearance - Video
If a woman is faced with a failure in the menstrual cycle, then you should not postpone the visit to the gynecologist. Amenorrhea, detected in the early stages, is much easier and more effective in therapy. In this case, the patient is protected from the risk of developing severe pathologies. But the most important thing is that with timely treatment, she is not deprived of the opportunity to fully enjoy motherhood.