According to statistics, back pain in menstruation is experienced by 70% of women. In medical practice, low back pain is called irradiating.
In fact, menstrual pain is quite natural. All because of the monthly changes in hormonal women.
Causes of lower back pain in women before and during menstruation
With menstrual loins in the case of:
- Stress in the pelvic area
- Inflammation and swelling of the genitourinary system
- Hormonal shifts.
It may be that the uterus is tilted back. In this case, it can press on the nerves and cause pain in the lower abdomen, lower back and sacrum. In sexual infantilism (underdevelopment of the uterus), pain may also be observed.
During menstruation, the uterus contracts. The sensitive pain receptors of some women can react strongly to each such contraction. Both the activity of the uterus and pain receptors are directly related to the hormonal background of the woman. The amount of estrogen increases significantly with age. And it can cause heavy and painful periods.
An imbalance of progesterone in a woman’s body and an increase in prostaglandins also cause pain. Prostaglandins are substances that play a huge role in the occurrence of discomfort during menstruation.
These substances are produced in the uterus (tissues) in order to stimulate its reduction during menstruation. And the more prostaglandins, the stronger the uterus will contract, the stronger the pain will be.
In women, the loin hurts before menstruation as a result of disturbances in water balance. Liquid is not excreted in sufficient quantity from the body, resulting in swelling of tissues.
If back pain is accompanied by nausea, sleep disturbance, weight loss, consult an endocrinologist. Perhaps you have a dysfunction of the thyroid gland, which controls the production of hormones.
What else can signal pain in the lower abdomen and lower back during menstruation:
- Urinary tract infections.
- Inflammation of the uterus (endometriosis).
- May occur in women who have not given birth.
- Intrauterine contraception.
- Ectopic pregnancy.
- Disorders of the menstrual cycle.
How to prevent lower back pain
Medications can reduce pain in the lower back, but do not prevent the very cause of discomfort. Therefore, when ovulation should not be afraid of pain and constantly taking painkillers.
After all, with the next ovulation back pain before menstruation will return again. Therefore, it is better to know your body, learn to control it and prevent unpleasant phenomena associated with menstruation.
Before you begin to engage in the prevention of pain and self-treatment, consult with your gynecologist. If you do not find any pathological processes in you, and the doctor finds out why the lower back hurts during menstruation, you can use the recommendations below.
Daily massage of active points for several days normalizes the endocrine system and regulates hormonal metabolism. Maybe the massage will take more time than the use of drugs, but the effect of it will be much better.
Active Point Exercises
If your back hurts during your period, you can do the exercises two or three times a day a week before your period.
Lie on your stomach and put your fists under the bones down. Lean on the floor forehead. Connect the feet, inhale and lift the legs from the floor. In this position, breathe deeply in the abdomen for 30 seconds. Slowly lower your legs and lie down in a relaxed state for a few minutes.
Slowly roll onto your back. Bend your legs. Place your palms under the sacrum and breathe deeply with your eyes closed, swinging your knees from side to side for a few minutes (1-2). Put your hands under your buttocks and breathe deeply for a minute.
Repeat the exercise too, pulling your knees up to your stomach. After doing the exercises, stretch your legs and place your hands on your stomach. Take a deep breath for 2 minutes.
Find the point that is at the bottom of the navel at the width of 4 fingers, and the point at the bottom of the navel at the width of 2 fingers. Apply pressure to them for two minutes and breathe deeply.
On the foot of the tuber of the thumb is a point that reduces swelling. Press this point for 1 minute.
Do an active massage of the legs and ankles.
And we recommend to read the article about the most common causes of pain in the lower back and back.
It often happens that unpleasant and slightly painful feelings on the eve of menstruation are explained by premenstrual syndrome. This is true, PMS can manifest itself in different ways, including pain of a different nature:
- extending to the pelvic organs and lower back.
This phenomenon falls under the concept of the physiological norm, and is explained by the hormonal "surge" - an increase in the concentration of prostaglandin, which increases the contraction of the uterus, increases its activity. Sharp, intense contractions cause pain. Depending on how much the lower abdomen and lower back begin to “whine”, you can talk about PMS or primary dysmenorrhea. In the first case, there is no cause for concern, in the second case, drug treatment (symptomatic and complex) should be used.
There are other reasons why the loin hurts before menstruation:
- structural features of the uterus (bend, "double uterus", the presence of a rudiment - the horns) and its location (proximity to the spine),
- genetic predisposition, for example, hypersensitivity of receptors to hormones,
- inflammatory processes in the urogenital system,
- tumors of the pelvis and reproductive organs (benign and malignant),
- hormone-dependent diseases that cause their imbalance,
- use of intrauterine contraceptive methods. They can be perceived by the body as the presence of a foreign body that must be rejected.
As you can see, the factors are different, and therefore measures to eliminate the symptom of pain in the lower back during menstruation will be different.
During the monthly causes of pain can be:
- hormones (reaction to a change in balance or hormone-dependent diseases),
- anatomical features of the structure and location of the uterus,
- edema of the pelvic organs caused by natural causes or inflammatory processes,
- tension and muscle contraction of the pelvic organs and back.
If your back hurts during menstruation is weak, then this can be explained by natural causes and physiological reaction to the processes taking place in the body. With increasing intensity, duration, change their nature should be examined. It may be a matter of activating the pathological process, which is exacerbated by menstruation, and asymptomatic the rest of the time.
When the loin hurts after menstruation, a cause for concern can be quite serious. Small "residual effects" in the form of a slight panging of the lower back in the lumbar region can be explained by a normal change in the balance of hormones. Or reduction of smooth muscles of the uterus, which did not end immediately after the end of menstruation. But most often this indicates pathologies, and quite serious ones:
- inflammatory or infectious diseases,
- tumors (benign or malignant),
- in violation of the hormonal balance caused by the disease,
- hemorrhage in the ovary, peritonitis,
- ovarian hyperstimulation caused by taking contraceptives for medicinal purposes.
Sometimes psychogenic factors can cause discomfort. We should also mention the constant back pain, not related to menstruation. This phenomenon may be due to pathological processes in the spine or impaired functioning of the autonomic nervous system. In the latter case, an additional symptom will be pain in the pelvic organs.
The reason for which the lower back can hurt can be natural or pathological. There are a number of signs by which one can assess the state of the body before visiting a doctor and a special examination:
- First, the sensations arise in the lower abdomen, then the loin pulls, all manifestations begin on the eve or during menstruation and disappear on the second - third day or after the end. This is the norm, the result of hormones and enhanced uterine contraction during menstruation. Usually does not even require anesthesia,
- Strengthening of symptoms during menstruation is observed when there is a history of: osteochondrosis of the loins and other departments, gynecological diseases of different etiologies, and pelvic tumors. And also with problems with reproductive function, kidneys, impaired withdrawal of fluid from the body (accompanied by edema) and hormone-dependent diseases,
- If the lower back aches, the pain is dull and is accompanied by subfebrile and high fever: it happens with pleurisy, urolithiasis and acute inflammatory processes,
- Almost all inflammatory and infectious gynecological pathologies are accompanied by characteristic aching pains in the lower back during menstruation, while discharge of a different nature is observed.
When pain is normal
Back pain can be considered normal if:
- she is short
- not strong, slightly pulling,
- associated with the monthly (day before or first day),
- passes quickly
- does not require anesthesia
- not accompanied by other symptoms.
In such cases, the sensation of back pain is the result of a natural process. It causes a change in the balance of hormones, the process of rejection of the endometrium, sharp contractions of the uterus. It should be understood that the concept of the norm and the intensity of sensations is relative. The pain threshold and sensitivity of the receptors to the hormonal effects of each woman is different. Therefore, follow the schedule of preventive examinations, and any change in the state during menstruation should be reported to the gynecologist.
If the period of menstruation is accompanied by severe pain in the lower back, then this is a serious reason to contact a specialist. Anxiety should cause:
- the constancy of the symptom, its strengthening, the appearance of menstruation,
- general weakness, which is accompanied by fever, headache or other pains (for example, lower abdomen, not localized in the lower back or radiating),
- the addition of nausea and vomiting,
- weight loss without objective reasons
- severe pain is accompanied by discharge, itching, burning, urge to urinate, a change in the nature of the bleeding (increase or decrease, lengthening, etc.),
- feeling of pain does not pass after taking analgesics, increases after the end of their action, increases, appears as an independent symptom.
The causes of back pain during menstruation are varied, they can be associated with reproductive function and its pathologies or caused by other diseases.
Pain and delay
Pain in the lower back with the delay of menstruation may be:
The first is to find out why the monthly late. Only after that it makes sense to look for the cause, which is indicated by pain. Untimely arrival of menstruation can be explained:
- pregnancy: hormonal changes cause lower back pain,
- hypothermia, as a result of which inflammatory processes in the reproductive organs began, against this background there may be an ache in the lower back,
- hormonal disruption caused by various factors: psycho-emotional state, physical overload, contraceptive pills or other medications.
These phenomena cause lower back pain of a different nature against the background of the absence of menstruation in due time. Those with regular sex life should first of all exclude or confirm pregnancy. If the test is negative, you should look for reasons why the absence of regular bleeding is accompanied by lumbar pain (this is a serious delay, a small cycle failure for one to two days sometimes happens).
Low back pain before menstruation, which come late, occurs in a number of pathological conditions:
- inflammations of the reproductive system of various etiologies: vaginitis, cervicitis, endometritis, infectious, viral and fungal diseases,
- benign (fibroids, polycystic) and malignant tumors,
- hormone-dependent diseases.
If the loin starts to hurt, and the bleeding has not started in due time, or it is atypical (they "smear" or intensify, shorten or lengthen), it is necessary to appear to a specialist. The symptom may indicate a pathological condition. Or the initial phase of pregnancy is accompanied by the threat of miscarriage. It can also be a question of ectopic pregnancy, which further threatens serious problems up to peritonitis and the threat to the patient’s life.
When to see a doctor
Virtually any back pain before menstruation, during a few days after their termination serve as a reason to contact a gynecologist. You must come to the reception if:
- a little habitual discomfort turned into stronger pain,
- changed cycle and / or nature of menstruation,
- analgesics do not help,
- other symptoms join (see the section Pathological pains),
- the duration of the pain syndrome increased, it began to appear regularly, sometimes even in other phases of the menstrual cycle.
Only a qualified specialist after the examination (sometimes complex) will be able to accurately determine the cause.
How to understand the reason
If the loin is severely sore, it is better to go through all the stages of differential diagnosis. Usually carried out:
- history taking and examination,
- blood tests: general and biochemical analyzes, hormonal status,
- smear evaluation
- instrumental examination: laparo-and hysteroscopy, ultrasound.
If necessary, use additional methods (for example, x-ray lumbar). Also consultations of the endocrinologist, the neuropathologist and other profile experts are appointed. Be sure to contact the doctor if it comes to girls during puberty and women over 30 (especially if the pain began to be observed for the first time).
How to deal with pain
How to get rid of pain that accompanies menstruation? If we are talking about the physiological norm, then you can do without drug treatment or use analgesics. But if it is rather tangible, not only symptomatic treatment, but also specific treatment is required. After a course of treatment of the main pathology, the cause of pain in the lower back is eliminated. The tactics of management of such patients depends on the result of the examination. Consider all the methods that are used to eliminate symptoms.
If the loin hurts, you can use painkillers:
- Analgesics (when symptoms are mild and caused by factors such as abnormal development of the uterus, its proximity to the spine, low pain threshold and other reasons that do not require special therapy)
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: used in the treatment of primary and secondary hormone-dependent dysmenorrhea, osteochondrosis. They have analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. That is, they can be prescribed both to relieve the symptom and as the main therapeutic drug,
- Combined oral contraceptives. Used in the treatment of a number of gynecological diseases associated with hormonal imbalances (for example, with infertility). Their action is based on the correction of hormone concentrations and prevents excessive growth of the endometrial layer, the rejection of which can be painful,
- Antispasmodics: used for hypertonia and muscle spasm.
These drugs can reduce pain, the choice of tactics is better to provide a doctor who will determine the most effective method, taking into account the results of the survey and the individual characteristics. If necessary, antibiotics, antifungal drugs are added (if viral, infectious and fungal diseases are detected) and other drugs to treat the underlying pathology. If you have a history of osteochondrosis, then you can smear the painful area with a special ointment (for example, with diclofenac), a gel, or use a medical patch. In extreme cases, surgical treatment is used (for example, in identifying tumors that need immediate removal).
Pain in menstruation in some cases will help remove the folk remedies:
- Herbal medicine: tincture of celery root, elecampane, hop cones, horsetail, nettle. Collection of peppermint, chamomile, valerian (in a ratio of 1: 2: 1). Broth strawberries or plantain. Important: when choosing a herbal remedy, consult your doctor, he will decide which one will be most effective and can be used taking into account the available contraindications.
- Self-massage: massaging active points that affect hormone levels, muscle relaxation, improving the work of the endocrine system will be effective if used regularly. This method also helps situationally with spasm of uterine smooth muscle.Locate two points below the navel (2 and 4 cm below, respectively) and press alternately for two minutes each.
- Diet: a balanced diet, meals rich in vitamins and minerals (calcium, magnesium, etc.) will help to normalize the monthly. On critical days, you can add chocolate to your diet as a source of endorphins. And exclude products that provoke gas formation.
What not to do
- use potent drugs without first consulting a doctor,
- ignore the associated symptoms,
- use cold or hot compresses.
As a preventive measure, strengthen your health, watch your weight, lead an active and healthy lifestyle. And regularly visit the gynecologist for routine checkups.
Why does the loin ache during menstruation and in front of them?
About 70% of women experience back pain during their periods. In medical practice, low back pain is called irradiating.
Very often, women seize painful pains in the abdomen and lower back during menstruation with painkillers, but they do not think at all about treating these pains.
What should a woman do with lower back pain during menstruation? After reading the article, you will find out why your back hurts during menstruation, and find ways to solve this problem.
Causes of back pain during menstruation
Unpleasant sensations in the abdomen and lumbar spine cause nervousness and limit daily activity, so every girl wants to know why the backache hurts during menstruation. The cause of pain can be the features of the woman's physiology, as well as pathological disorders. If pain only bothers you during your period, then most likely its causes are of a physiological nature. Conversely, pains that disturb the menstrual cycle usually have pathological causes.
The human body is a complex biological system in which each organ has an important functional significance. Failure of one of them can cause pain not only in this body, but also in others associated with it. The physiological causes of back and stomach pain during menstruation include the following:
The structure of the uterus. Pain may occur if the uterus is not positioned correctly. If it is deflected backward or arched, pressure on the nerve endings occurs and there is pain in the lower abdomen or in the lower back.
Pain threshold. Because of the low pain threshold and, consequently, hypersensitivity, some women have a very sore back and stomach that responds to uterine contractions.
Hormonal changes. A group of active substances called prostaglandins act on the uterus and make it shrink more, causing a pain in the lower back during menstruation. And the effect of estrogen and progesterone during menstruation is reduced, which further enhances the sensitivity of the body of a woman.
Hormonal disbalance, due to which fluid is retained in the body, edema of internal tissues appears. This can lead to pressure on the nerve receptors and, consequently, back pain.
Intrauterine device. An intrauterine abortive contraceptive method in the form of a small-sized device made of plastic and copper, causing severe contractions followed by pain in the abdomen and lower back.
Heredity. Hereditary predisposition is also the reason for which the loin hurts during menstruation. You can ask your mom or grandmother if they had such unpleasant feelings.
Inappropriate contraception. Intolerance to certain drugs intrauterine contraception, because of which women during menstruation loins backache. They can also give a start to the development of genital diseases.
Diagnosis of back pain during menstruation
Diagnosis before treatment can only be a doctor. The patient will need to undergo a series of examinations: it is imperative that you pass urine and blood tests, you may have a smear from a gynecologist, as well as an ultrasound scan, tubal tubes and ovaries. After the diagnosis and confirmation of the preliminary diagnosis, the doctor will prescribe treatment.
What to do if there are symptoms, diagnosed and found out the reason why the back is sore? - Start treatment.
In some cases, you can alleviate the pain yourself. Normal walking, stretching exercises, exercise, yoga - all these light exercises gradually facilitate pain in the back during menstruation. Intensive need to do about ten days before the onset of menstruation, with an emphasis on abdominal abs and back muscles.
Breathing exercises will help to get rid of pain during menstruation. Respiratory gymnastics is to ensure that with each inhalation and exhalation it is possible to imagine in which part of the body this inhalation or exhalation is directed. Exercises should be performed every day on time and before the start of menstruation. An excellent option would be to combine breathing exercises and yoga.
The cause, due to which back pains during menstruation, can be strained and squeezed muscles, they can be relaxed with a warm heating pad or thermoplastic.
You just need to attach the selected means of supplying heat to the lower back or lower abdomen. They are sold at any pharmacy and are a very effective way to reduce the pain of menstruation.
If for some reason it is not possible to go to the pharmacy, a warm shower can replace the funds.
For serious problems, a mandatory consultation with a doctor is required. The specialist will tell you which drugs to take during the treatment of low back pain and their dosage.
For severe back pains during a woman's menstruation, the doctor may prescribe such soft tissue methods of treatment: rhythmic traction, stretching, local inhibition, vibration, efflurability, articular articulation techniques.
These techniques are designed to directly affect the spine, joints and musculo-fascial layers around them.
Prevention of pain during menstruation
If the cause of pain in the lower back and abdomen during menstruation is associated with the physiological characteristics of the woman and does not pose a health hazard, the pain can be prevented. To do this, you need to follow the following recommendations ten days before the month:
- Regularly massage special active points on the body, which are responsible for hormones and the endocrine system. Such a massage can produce even better effect than painkillers. In addition to active points, you can also gently massage the entire abdomen and lower back with fingertips. After some time, the pain will gradually go away.
- During the menstrual period, a woman should not perform excessive exercise. It is better to keep the vertebra, namely, its muscles, as well as the muscles of the abdominal cavity in a state of calm and relaxation, as they are located near the uterus.
- It is recommended to exclude carbonated drinks from your diet. They have a bad effect not only on the stomach, but also on the lower back due to the fermentation that occurs in the abdominal cavity. It should eat more greens, fruits, berries. Also required to eat various dairy products, for example, cottage cheese, sour cream, cheese, yogurt. Excessively salty, fatty, fried foods are excluded.
Pain in the loins during menstruation: reasons for what to do, how to relieve pain
Three out of five women have lower back pain during menstruation. Every month they feel that pain receptors give their answer to the contraction of the abdominal muscles.
The aching pains in the lower abdomen and lower back appear even before the beginning of menstruation, and sometimes continue after them. Menstrual pain in the lower back and lower abdomen are the medical name "dysmenorrhea."
Why this condition appears during menstruation, and how to alleviate the symptoms, will be known after a detailed diagnosis.
The main reasons may be the following:
- Permanent muscle spasm of the pelvis and girdle,
- Inflammation and swelling of the internal female organs,
- Unnatural changes in hormonal levels.
Primary and secondary dysmenorrhea
Most often, the answer to the question of why the loin begins to hurt during the menses is in the peculiarities of the uterus position.
If the uterus is located closer to the spine, then its changes during menstruation can affect the nerves in this area. There is pain in the lower back during menstruation. For the same reason, the stomach may hurt.
Infectious diseases and related inflammatory processes of the female reproductive system can also be a source of back pain during menstruation.
This also includes the pathology of the double uterus. Acquired secondary dysmenorrhea occurs due to chronic inflammation of the appendages, endometriosis, cancer processes and myomas, and serious hormonal problems. These situations are more specific and require a more thorough medical approach.
The level of female hormones during menstruation greatly exceeds its normal level. The result is chronic contraction of the uterine muscles, which remotely resembles childbirth. If a woman suffers from increased sensitivity to nerves, the pain during such contractions can be very severe.
If the thyroid gland begins to show excessive activity, the general hormonal level suffers heavily, which becomes a source of insomnia and pulling back pain.
Similar symptoms cause another hormone, progesterone.
This hormone is normally responsible for the development of pregnancy processes, but if in another period its concentration is abnormally increased, it also causes spasms of the uterine muscles, and as a result, the loin hurts during menstruation.
Intrauterine contraceptives can be a source of pain that pulls in the lumbosacral region. A foreign body in the uterus causes irritation of the nerves and activates progesterone synthesis.
Disruption of water exchange
A broken water level in the female body can make the lower back ache during menstruation. If the moisture does not leave the tissue on time and in proper volume, puffiness appears, which also exert pressure on the nerves and cause pain during menstruation.
In some cases, the result may be a sharp overweight. If moisture builds up very quickly, the spine experiences a dramatically increased load, its supporting muscles begin to strain more and cause pain. To edema does not appear, use diuretic drugs, but do not forget to consult a gynecologist.
- We advise you to read: why the back hurts and pulls the lower abdomen
Sometimes it turns out that menstrual back pains are generally not associated with women's health and are the result of neurological pathology. In addition, the problem may lie in pleurisy or kidney disease. Hormonal disorders may not be observed. Such diagnostic difficulties arise because the woman’s body is activated during menstruation, and all problems come out.
If pains occur after critical days, immediately visit a doctor and demand a full diagnosis, as similar symptoms often indicate serious problems, such as:
- Ovarian inflammation,
- Tumor or cyst
- Ovarian hemorrhage.
If the diagnosis revealed inflammations of gynecological organs, focus only on expert advice, forget about self-treatment. The side effects of some anti-inflammatory drugs will only cause more harm.
When it hurts a lot during critical days, you should not, like many women, drink large amounts of analgin or no-silo. They will mask your problem only for a few hours.
There are also more powerful drugs.
What do painful attacks in the lower back mean before menstruation?
Women due to their biological characteristics tend to experience pain in the abdomen at different periods of time: before menstruation, during and after ovulation. If you believe the statistics, six out of ten women, with constant frequency, go to the doctor with complaints that they have back pain before menstruation. It is noted that the pain initially formed in the abdomen, and then spread to the back and lower back.
In medicine, such phenomena have a special formulation - radiating painful manifestations. Their essence lies in the fact that a person can feel pain in a place that has no relation to the cause of its occurrence, since the main feature of the radiating sensations is a reflection from the place of appearance.
For example, if pain occurs in the back before menstruation, then the source of their manifestation is most likely located in the abdomen.
It is believed that all processes that violate the natural blood outflow from the uterus, can provoke painful radiating sensations. Therefore, in most cases, the focus of pathology is located in the lower abdomen.
According to medical data, at the moment about 80% of women face similar difficulties.
Most of all suffer from the painful sensations have not given birth to mature girls and women. But, despite such disappointing statistics, women perfectly learned to cope with such pains.
The most important thing is to identify the provoking cause and take action to prevent it.
Causes of Lumbar Pain Before Ovulation
What can cause the appearance of pain in the lower back on the eve of menstruation?
- Unnatural position of the uterus: its curvature, bend or underdevelopment of this female organ,
In some cases, the causes of back pain before menstruation are associated with heredity. For example, if your grandmother or mother suffered from discomfort on the eve of menstruation, then you may experience similar pain caused by natural physiological processes.
- Inflammatory processes occurring in the genitals - diseases of the uterus or its cervix, tubes and ovaries,
- Installed intrauterine device.
It causes increased contractions of this muscular organ, as a result of which a woman may feel pain in the back before menstruation.
- Various neoplasms and fibroids that violate the blood outflow from the uterus,
- Violations in the hormonal background.
Due to the increase in progesterone and estrogen levels, the state of the uterus is changing. The negative result of such changes are unpleasant feelings on the eve of menstruation. Regular examination by a gynecologist, control of hormonal changes will help a woman get rid of such painful syndromes.
In order to find out the answer to the question: why does the back hurt before menstruation, it is necessary to contact the appropriate specialist - the gynecologist. After consultation, examination and testing, he will be able to conclude about the cause of your illness and prescribe a treatment regimen.
If the cause lies in an infectious disease, then curing it, you will get rid of the painful manifestations. If your back hurts before menstruation due to changes in the hormonal background, then you will need to start consuming hormonal medications.
In some situations, it is enough to carry out the prevention of such manifestations in order to continue to occur as little as possible.
If the loins are severely sore before menstruation, then perhaps these sensations are symptoms of PMS - premenstrual syndrome, which in most cases manifests itself 7-11 days before the start of menstruation. Its main symptoms are:
- Strong headache,
- heightened perception of noise
- speech difficulty
- drowsiness or insomnia
- swelling and muscle cramps,
- nausea and vomiting,
- irritability, capriciousness, changes in the emotional background of a woman,
- skin rashes that are accompanied by itching,
- sensation as if aching the loins before menstruation,
- increased body temperature
- change in taste,
- a surge or a sharp decline in sexual desire.
Pulling on the eve of menstruation - a sign of pregnancy?
In some cases, back pain may occur when you delay your period. In this situation, painful manifestations indicate either a violation of the natural female functions, or pregnancy.
In the first days after ovulation has occurred, signs of pregnancy may resemble an approaching menstruation. Many women, being in an interesting position, complain of pains in the lower abdomen, noting that they are pulling the lower back.
Before menstruation, such manifestations often indicate an unfavorable course of pregnancy, for example, a hypertonia of the uterus. Therefore, if you have sore back and in addition to the whole monthly delay, then you urgently need to see a doctor!
The main signs of early pregnancy are:
- frequent urination,
- bowel disorder
- delayed menstruation,
- minor bleeding from the vagina,
- pain in the back, as if pulling the lower back, when there was a delay in menstruation,
- increase in basal temperature
- frequent headaches
- change in taste
- increased salivation,
- drowsiness, distraction and fatigue,
- increase breast sensitivity,
- tingling sensation inside the uterus,
- aversion to many smells.
Medical and preventive recommendations
The most effective tips:
- control of the beginning and end of menstruation,
- 3-4 days before the start of ovulation, taking a complex of vitamins, sedatives,
- use of antispasmodic drugs.
If you can say with certainty that you are not pregnant, but at the same time you feel that you are pulling back in front of menstruation, do not rush to panic.Take a pill of any antispasmodic or analgesic drug. Try to reduce the pain yourself with a massage, apply a heating pad to the place of pain and limit yourself for a while.
Among other recommendations, when the loin hurts and whines before menstruation, one can single out:
- exclusion from the menu of citrus fruits,
- drinking heavy and warm drinks
- consulting a doctor
- wrapping a warm blanket, a scarf where it hurts,
- bed rest.
The question of why the loin hurts before the menstrual period will be relevant for a long time, as more and more women experience illness, discomfort on the eve and during menstruation. Painful manifestations a few days before menstruation can occur for a number of serious reasons, so do not ignore them, but consult a doctor immediately.
A medical specialist will conduct an examination and find out the causative factor. And this means that you will be informed about your condition and will know exactly how you can get rid of pain.
It is important to remember that on your own you can only reduce the painful syndrome, so do not take risks and do not refuse professional medical care!
The vast majority of women know the feeling when the loin hurts during menstruation. Take it as a given is not worth it. Of course, it is impossible to get rid of such a manifestation forever, but each can alleviate its condition by following a few tips.
Causes of pain during menstruation
During menstruation, a woman's body undergoes a powerful hormonal change, as a result, water begins to linger, weight gain occurs. Of course, the load on the lower back increases.
Also, the amount of estrogen and prostaglandins can greatly increase. These substances significantly increase the sensitivity and cause pain. These are the most common causes. But other than that, pain can be caused by other factors:
- diseases of the genitourinary system
- pelvic tension.
To physiological stress include the deviation of the uterus back. With the contraction of the uterus, it exerts pressure from the inside and therefore lumbar pain during menstruation.
There may be cases when menstruation is accompanied not only by pain, but also by severe nausea, weight loss, and even sleep problems. These symptoms can signal problems with the thyroid gland, then you need to contact an endocrinologist.
Signs of PMS
About such a predecessor of menstruation, as the ICP make up the whole legends. But how to distinguish postmenstrual syndrome from diseases of the urinary tract and what it is.
Everyone knows that in front of her period the girl becomes irritable and aggressive. Otherwise, it can not be if she has PMS. After all, with such symptoms it is impossible to be gentle and affectionate. Signs include:
- very subtle perception of noise
- sleep disorders, manifested by a constant desire to sleep, or lack of sleep,
- 10 days before menstruation pulls the stomach and lower back,
- skin rashes,
- variable emotional background.
But all these symptoms can mean not only the early onset of menstruation, but also pregnancy, especially when there is a delay in menstruation. If you usually do not have such manifestations, it is recommended to make an appointment with a gynecologist.
How to avoid painful feelings during menstruation
To get rid of unpleasant sensations, the first thing you need to identify the root of the pain and understand why the loin hurts during menstruation. In general, women decide to go the shortest way and take medications, such as Tamipul. But this method will only temporarily drown out the pain.
If you want to control the symptoms, then identify the causes of back pain during menstruation. To do this, you can go two ways:
- Go to the doctors and get tested for hormones, examined by a gynecologist, etc.
- Another option - a week before menstruation to perform simple gymnastics. And, if the problem is not in internal diseases, then the onset of menstruation will please you in a quiet way.
Gymnastics "Active points"
Gymnastic exercises during menstruation
Lying on your stomach, put fists under it. Touch your head to the floor, as if leaning on it, and lift your legs. Breathe deeply, but not with your chest, but with your stomach.
If the lower abdomen and loins after menstruation hurt, include the following exercise in the list:
- Stand up straight, put your fists on your lower back, push your knuckles down and breathe deeply.
Performing such a simple gymnastics a week before the start of your period, you can prepare your muscles for future tension. The tone of the lumbar muscles will become less pronounced and the pain will let go.
why during menstruation the loin hurts
Back pain - a common problem in women during menstruation. Pain during menstruation is caused by natural substances called prostaglandins, which are found in higher concentrations during menstrual bleeding and can lead to severe pain during menstruation in some women. In many cases, the pain during menstruation can be reduced.
there is a spasm of the uterus therefore gives back
The loins before menstruation of young women and girls giving birth to the sore hurt most of all. Anything that disrupts the natural outflow of blood from the uterus can cause pain, which is felt like back pain.
Consider what could be the reasons:
1. Incorrect position of the uterus in the pelvis. Bend of the uterus posteriorly, curvature, underdevelopment of the body. Blood-filled uterus is enlarged. Yes, and tries to greatly reduce, to push the blood. Appear nagging pain in the lower abdomen and lower back.
2. Inflammatory diseases of the genital organs - uterus, cervix, ovaries, tubes. Endometriosis, chlamydia, another urogenital infection causes adhesions both inside the uterus and around it. When filled with blood with impaired outflow, compression of the nerve endings and pain occur.
3. Myomas and other neoplasms violate both the outflow of blood and increase the size of the muscle tissue of the uterus itself.
4. Increased hormone levels. Increased estrogen and progesterone levels cause severe uterine contractions during menstruation, which leads to painful sensations. It is necessary to examine and thyroid hormones.
5. The intrauterine device contributes to increased contractions of this muscular organ with the appearance of moderate pains of a pulling character in the lower back.
6. Heredity. If your mother or grandmother had painful discharge, then you will feel pain during your periods.
To clarify the question of why the lower back hurts before menstruation, it is necessary to consult a gynecologist.
After a full examination, you will be given advice on how to treat a painful condition. Perhaps you just need to cure the infection or take some kind of pain medicine.
You can use antispasmodics like no-spa or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen, indomethacin. Vitamin E three days before the onset of menstruation will facilitate its flow. Soothing preparations like valerian will lower the pain sensitivity threshold.
If the loin hurts before menstruation. this is not a reason for panic. and the reason for the survey. If you have not found any pathology, try to spend this day in a warm and relaxed atmosphere. Do not take a hot bath and do not warm in the bath and sauna. This can cause bleeding. It is better to just lie on the sofa under the blanket than to engage in physical activity.
Health to you and your loved ones!
Why during the menstruation does the lower back hurt a lot?
How strong? If the pains are unreal at all - sharp, with a push ... then this is already a problem with the uterus) - endometritis of all. But there may still be problems with the kidneys (chronic) or even cured.
In general, it is normal during menstruation and the back looms before them (as a sign of PMS)
I have so.
Perhaps endometriosis. The pelvic ultrasound on the 5-7 day of the cycle will answer the question
Briefly about the monthly cycle
Since the onset of regular menstruation, the girl enters the state of a girl capable of conceiving and carrying a pregnancy. The lunar month, on which it is necessary to be guided to determine the correctness of development in this period, is on average twenty-eight days. At this time, one menstruation turns on and one between the menstrual period. Oscillations in time can range from 23 to 35 days.
During the bloodless course of the cycle, proliferation (increase) of the endometrial layer of the intrauterine mucosa occurs. Approximately in the middle of a cycle the egg cell matures. This moment is called ovulation. Then the egg, ready for fertilization, leaves the ovarian follicle, begins to move through the fallopian tubes to meet with the sperm. If fertilization occurs, the already ovarian egg moves into the uterus, where it is attached to the thickened, prepared mucous membrane - pregnancy develops.
If the egg does not meet with the carrier of the genetic material of the opposite sex, then the whole prepared mass of the endometrium is not needed, it is rejected outward, through the vagina - menstruation occurs. All these processes are cyclical in nature during the fertile (child-bearing) age of a woman.
If there are no serious diseases of the genital organs, the cycle is established during the first year, it has individual features that each girl or woman certainly notices.
No matter how simple the explanation of cyclic processes would seem, this is due to the complicated hormonal mechanisms. They are subject to the influence of various factors, which may not always be positive. The vast majority, up to about eighty percent of the total number of all women, experience premenstrual syndrome.
Manifestations of premenstrual syndrome combine a wide variety of symptoms in one or another combination:
- psycho-emotional disorders
- physical ailments
- exacerbation of chronic diseases.
The emotional status of a woman with a labile nervous system is especially susceptible to fluctuations. Whining, irritability, nervousness, sleep disturbances, weakening of working capacity appear - all this may indicate upcoming menstruation. Manifestations can be so strong, especially in middle-aged women, that consultation, observation and treatment by psychological specialists may be necessary.
Almost all women experiencing attacks of premenstrual syndrome, see back pain after menstruation, the lower back can also hurt during bleeding. The pains are of varying intensity, localization, because the lumbar region contains such internal organs as:
- uterus and ovaries,
- kidneys, bladder, ureters,
Therefore, back pain during menstruation or heaviness in the back after menstruation may be due to abnormal organs or hormonal fluctuations. Hormonal background provokes strong, more often - weak, back pain during menstruation, if its changes are triggered by the use of the intrauterine device, especially in the first months, by hormonal means of contraception or treatment.
Causes of low back pain
In order to establish the causes of back pain, it is customary to single out the following factors:
- natural fluctuations in hormonal levels,
- use of hormonal contraceptives,
- the presence of a spiral inside the uterus,
- pregnancy tube
- diseases of the kidneys, intestines, bladder, genitals,
- developmental pathology of the uterus, especially the anatomical structure of the body.
They can occur both separately and combined with each other, which once again underlines the need to consult a doctor for advice.
Why does the loin hurt for natural reasons? During preparation for ovulation, during and after it, the level of hormones circulating in the blood changes. It affects the state of the muscular system, internal organs. Closely related to the sex hormones is the urinary system. Many women note that the loin is sore during menstruation or the stomach hurts in the lower third, pains appear during urination during the period of ovulation.
The use of hormonal or intrauterine contraception disrupts the usual background. The intrauterine device is a mechanical obstacle to the attachment of the egg to the inner surface of the uterine wall. The muscle tone of the body increases, the ligamentous apparatus, which holds the uterus in the pelvic cavity, is strained. Therefore, during menstruation, the lower back hurts, since the rejection of the endometrium occurs more intensively, it may even get sick in the intestinal region.
Hormonal contraceptives are aimed at suppressing the intrinsic activity of the sex glands, ovulation does not occur in a timely manner. Then, after discontinuation of the drug, bleeding occurs, which is menstruation. However, the activity of the proliferative processes of the endometrium is compressed in time, everything happens faster, the uterine tone increases, as a result, during the menses the lower back hurts.
An ectopic pregnancy or a normal pregnancy may not interrupt the onset of the next menstruation if fertilization has occurred in the last days before the next bleeding. This cause is characterized by nagging pains. The loin during menstruation constantly makes itself felt. Pains take on a permanent character, with a fall and increase in pain. It hurts the loins during menstruation, masking the pregnancy, quite intensely. If you suspect a pregnancy, especially ectopic, urgently need to consult a doctor.
The uterus of a small percentage of women may have anatomical features:
- small size
- low or high position in the pelvic cavity
- bend forward or backward (antiflexio or retroflexio).
This problem can be diagnosed by a specialist. During the examination and ultrasound, an accurate diagnosis will be made and then it will be clear where the annoying lumbar pains come from. This may be due to birth defects or developmental features, and is also associated with adhesions in women suffering from gynecological diseases or undergoing surgical interventions in this area, which give back pain during menstruation.
Suspected diseases of the organs located in the pelvic cavity, should be if the loins hurt after menstruation. Tension subsides, and nagging pain appears after the end of the bleeding. The nature of the pain may vary, but they are not acute; rather, they can be described as dull, persistent or periodic, aching, of medium intensity.
Treatment and Prevention
If the loin hurts during the menstrual period, the woman is simply obliged to consult a gynecologist for advice. After examination and examination, adequate treatment will be prescribed or a referral to a specialist is given in case of a disease of the internal organs of the abdominal cavity.
General recommendations for a healthy woman with premenstrual syndrome and individual characteristics of the flow of the menstrual cycle usually include the following areas:
- lifestyle optimization,
- administration of antispasmodic or analgesic drugs,
- use of complex special exercises.
A woman should get enough sleep, to regulate physical activity. After all, back pains can appear after excessive physical exertion and may have no connection with diseases or the hormonal cycle.
In case of intense pain, analgesics may be prescribed with a slight antispasmodic effect. Which drugs should be used individually decides the doctor. In order to help pharmacological agents, one can use a set of physical exercises aimed at improving the blood supply to the relevant organs, preventing stagnation of blood in the uterus.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Drugs such as nimesil, ibuprofen and diclofenac not only help to cope with the symptoms, but also have a therapeutic effect. The NPS temporarily reduce the reproduction of those hormones that create excessive tension on the uterine muscles. It is desirable to use them either the first three days of menstruation, or a couple of days before they occur. It is permissible to use anesthetics based on paracetamol. Do not forget about the side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - gastric and intestinal ulcers, cardiac problems, drug hepatitis. These drugs affect the hormones of women, reducing the level leading to muscle spasms of progesterone. It also becomes thinner uterine endometrium, the excess thickness of which is often just the source of heavy and painful menstruation. What to do if the side effects of these medicines cause concern, and back pain during menstruation does not go away? It will be useful to perform a relaxing gymnastics: lying face up, bend your knees, and put your palms under the lower back. Bend your knees in different directions for a couple of minutes. Then place your palms under the buttocks and take a deep breath. Impact active points. They are located below the navel - one at a distance of two, the other at a distance of four fingers. You can understand that it is they who are most sensitive. Apply pressure to each of them for a couple of minutes, without forgetting about deep breathing. Ovulation is an important part of the monthly cycle, during which some girls also experience discomfort and pain in the lumbosacral or abdominal region. This phenomenon is called ovulatory syndrome. Discomfort may be as follows:
It is desirable to use them either the first three days of menstruation, or a couple of days before they occur. It is permissible to use anesthetics based on paracetamol.
Do not forget about the side effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs - gastric and intestinal ulcers, cardiac problems, drug hepatitis.
These drugs affect the hormones of women, reducing the level leading to muscle spasms of progesterone. It also becomes thinner uterine endometrium, the excess thickness of which is often just the source of heavy and painful menstruation.
What to do if the side effects of these medicines cause concern, and back pain during menstruation does not go away? It will be useful to perform a relaxing gymnastics: lying face up, bend your knees, and put your palms under the lower back. Bend your knees in different directions for a couple of minutes. Then place your palms under the buttocks and take a deep breath.
Impact active points. They are located below the navel - one at a distance of two, the other at a distance of four fingers. You can understand that it is they who are most sensitive. Apply pressure to each of them for a couple of minutes, without forgetting about deep breathing.
Ovulation is an important part of the monthly cycle, during which some girls also experience discomfort and pain in the lumbosacral or abdominal region. This phenomenon is called ovulatory syndrome.
Discomfort may be as follows:
If these symptoms do not give rest, it is possible that their source is in the breaking of the wall of the follicle and the ingress of a small amount of blood into the abdominal cavity. The blood irritates the tissue and the girl feels the pain.
However, if ovulatory syndrome does not repeat time after time and does not cause a sharp pain, there is nothing to worry about. It is simply a signal that the best time for conception has come. What should be remembered for young couples who dream of becoming parents. Many women may have lower back before menstruation. When the phenomenon occurs for physiological reasons, it does not require intervention and passes on average on the 2nd day of menstruation. Sometimes unpleasant feelings indicate pathological conditions. Then, in addition to them, other symptoms appear, and in such cases, the help of a specialist is needed. The reasons why the loin hurts before the menstruation are conventionally divided into 2 types. The former may be associated with the onset of critical days and are caused by changes in the production of female sex hormones, which is the norm. The latter indicate health problems. Natural causes of pain in the lumbar region during this period:
What is the reason for back pain before menstruation
Cause of back pain before menstruation and during menstruation
What should be remembered for young couples who dream of becoming parents.
Many women may have lower back before menstruation. When the phenomenon occurs for physiological reasons, it does not require intervention and passes on average on the 2nd day of menstruation. Sometimes unpleasant feelings indicate pathological conditions. Then, in addition to them, other symptoms appear, and in such cases, the help of a specialist is needed.
The reasons why the loin hurts before the menstruation are conventionally divided into 2 types. The former may be associated with the onset of critical days and are caused by changes in the production of female sex hormones, which is the norm. The latter indicate health problems.
Natural causes of pain in the lumbar region during this period:
This symptom appears a week before menstruation and passes a couple of days after they start.
More about them below.
What are the symptoms may be during normal menstruation
Back pain before menstruation is not the only sensation in the premenstrual period, which is considered normal. It has a nagging and nagging character and covers a significant area of the body: the lower back can hurt, as well as the entire area of the pelvic organs.
The following symptoms may also occur:
- unpleasant sensations - pulls the lower abdomen. In the face of a changing hormonal background, the uterus contracts, resulting in pain,
- increased sensitivity and heaviness in the chest,
- nervousness, mood swings, irritability,
- increased appetite, the emergence of specific taste preferences,
- headaches, dizziness, drowsiness,
- weight gain of 1 to 3 kg, caused by the stagnation of excess fluid and an increase in uterine muscle mass. The pressure of the internal organs on each other with swelling also hurts the tailbone.
Pathological conditions causing back pain
If the lower back hurts before menstruation, this may indicate the presence of pathological processes, such as:
- Infectious diseases of the genital and excretory systems. In addition to pain, a woman has frequent urges to empty her bladder, accompanied by discomfort and burning sensation.
- Benign lesions, cysts on the organs of the genitourinary system. They are evidenced by discharge with blood mucus, tingling in the uterus, hypersensitivity of the mammary glands and irregular menstruation.
- Disorders of the endocrine system, causing hormonal failure. In addition to having pain in the lower back, the diseases are accompanied by weight loss, nausea, swelling in the legs, and a general deterioration of health.
In these cases, the resulting pain is acute and strong. Additional symptoms of pathological conditions:
- odor rejection
- increased fatigue
- sleep disturbance,
A woman needs to urgently consult a specialist and be examined to confirm the diagnosis.
How to get rid of back pain
Reduce pain before menstruation will help such actions:
- Preventive and wellness massage of the back and abdominal muscles, which will help keep the spine healthy and your muscles toned.
- Healthy balanced diet to prevent the accumulation of toxins in the intestines and increased gas formation. The increased volume of digestive organs increases internal pressure. Some experts recommend minimizing the use of coffee, and in the days before menstruation to abandon it altogether.
- Relaxing bath with herbs and essential oils, which can be taken before or after the appearance of unpleasant sensations.
- The use of vitamin complexes prescribed by a doctor.
- Regular physical activity - it will not only strengthen the back muscles, but also enhance overall immunity.
- Exercises to reduce pain: breathing exercises, yoga asanas, stretching. Effective when the symptom has already appeared. Self-massage of the lower abdomen and lower back with circular movements of medium intensity will also help.
- Treatment of pathologies that caused the pain.
- Hormonal support of the body. Most often, it is carried out using the method of contraceptives selected by the gynecologist.
- Use of herbal teas, infusions and decoctions based on chamomile flowers, mint leaves and St. John's wort.
- Reception of painkillers. To resort to this method is recommended in the last place, because such drugs relieve symptoms, but do not eliminate the cause of the problem.
For maximum effect, it is recommended to adhere to a healthy lifestyle and regularly undergo preventive medical examinations. The stronger the body, the less it is subject to the negative impact of temporary changes.
If you have weight problemsdo not despair! The main causes of age fat on the abdomen and sides are:
- increased appetite
- hormonal disorders,
- slow metabolism
- violation of the gastrointestinal tract,
- psychological problems.
What is the cause of back pain before menstruation Link to main publication
3 causes of back pain (back) during menstruation or before menstruation
According to statistics, many of the fair sex have noted back pain during menstruation. Often, the painful sensations disturb women even several days before menstruation and can continue after them. Pain during menstruation are called "dysmenorrhea", to determine the cause of their occurrence after thorough diagnostic studies.
How to deal with them
Gynecologists recommend before starting treatment to identify the main cause of pain, because it can be a symptom of a serious disease (for example, an ovarian tumor). If there is no serious pathology, then you can resort to medication, special gymnastics and traditional medicine.
Combined oral contraceptives
Sometimes, contraceptives are used to treat the lower back. They affect hormones, which significantly reduces the level of progesterone. When this medication affects the uterine endometrium, reducing its thickness. Oral contraceptive preparations should be selected by a doctor taking into account the age and characteristics of the girl's body.
Gymnastics for menstruation is good for the body, has a positive effect on muscle tone and allows you to cope with pain in the abdomen and back. Examples of exercises to improve muscle tone during menstruation are presented below:
- Starting position: lying on his stomach, resting his forehead on the floor. Legs together, fists are planted under the body. Taking a deep breath, they take off the legs from the floor and stay in this position for 10-20 seconds, then return to the starting position. Repeat at least 5 times. During this and other exercises it is important to follow the breath, it should be smooth and calm.
- Starting position: supine, legs bent at the knee joints. From this position, raise the pelvis, as high as possible, fixing at the maximum point for a few seconds, then return back. Repeat the exercise 6-7 times.
- Starting position: lying on your back, bending your knees. Hands are under the waist. The legs lift to 15 ° and begin to swing slightly in both directions for 30 seconds. They put their hands under the buttocks and tighten their knees in turn to the head. They return to their original position and relax for a few minutes, after which they will repeat the manipulation 2-3 times.
If the above methods do not help or there is no opportunity to carry them out, resort to the help of traditional medicine. Also, it can be used as an aid. Broths and infusions of various herbs and plants help to combat the pain during menstruation. Let us consider in more detail the most effective means:
- Broth based on parsley. For its preparation take parsley (pre-dried) and pour boiling water in a ratio of 1:10. Drink 100 ml before meals 2 times a day.
- Infusion of blackberry and burdock root. The listed ingredients are mixed together in equal quantities (2 tablespoons) and pour boiling water. Leave to infuse for several hours, then carefully filtered. The resulting product is consumed in 100 ml 2 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
- A decoction of forest strawberries. To prepare the broth, take 2 teaspoons of the plant and pour 250 ml of boiled water. Leave to infuse overnight or 8 hours and consume 100 ml per day.
- Precast infusion. A good effect has an infusion of useful plants: chamomile, mint and valerian root. They are taken in proportions of 2: 1: 1 and poured boiling water. The resulting tool is left to infuse for 30-60 minutes and use 1 tablespoon 2 times a day.
Back pain before menstruation
In some cases, sexually transmitted diseases can cause a painful sensation in the lumbar region during menstruation. At the same time, there is pain and urination. Most often, these symptoms give chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both diseases are sexually transmitted and may be accompanied by vaginal secretions (white or yellow).
Endometriosis is a common disease in gynecology, which is often accompanied by back pain during menstruation. This is due to the increased blood supply to the uterus. Identify the disease can be using instrumental diagnostic methods. Uterine endometrium may be characterized by other symptoms during menstruation:
- general weakness of the body
- nausea and vomiting,
- frequent urination.
The adhesions process during menstruation may make itself felt for the first time, this is due to a weakening of the body and a decrease in immunity. Often against the formation of scars occurs intestinal upset. Adhesions can affect reproductive functions, interfere with the conception of a child, therefore it is important to cure the pathological process.
Oophoritis is an infectious disease (inflammation of the ovaries). It may be accompanied by back pain, but in most cases, the pain gives to the lower abdomen (in the area of the left ovary). The pain is usually severe, but periodic, quickly pass. Often there is a weakness and fatigue. With such symptoms, it is recommended to consult a doctor for advice.
Inflammation of the fallopian tubes
When inflammation of the fallopian tubes occurs menstrual irregularities: menstruation or abundant or too scarce. In most cases, they proceed with maximum discomfort: pulling pain in the lower abdomen, acute back pain.
Vaginitis is an inflammatory process localized in the vaginal mucosa. The causes of its occurrence are numerous, ranging from allergic reactions to venereal diseases. During menstruation, the inflammation increases, the pain strongly gives to the lumbar region. Vaginitis is not difficult to detect, because it is manifested by redness of the external genital organs.
When you need to see a doctor immediately
If back pain during menstruation is accompanied by fever, an urgent appeal to the doctor is necessary. This may indicate a local inflammatory process that must be eliminated as soon as possible.
Excessive bleeding, prolonged pain and fever in women during their periods can be symptoms of the urinary system. Any disease is easier to cure at the initial stage, so you should not postpone the visit to the doctor.
Ovulation - an important stage of the monthly cycle, is the process of release of the egg into the fallopian tube. During this period, many women experience discomfort in the lower abdomen and lumbar spine. From a medical point of view, this is called ovulatory syndrome. The following symptoms are most common:
- Occurrence of periodic or constant pain in the abdomen to the bottom.
- Severe discomfort in the right side of the abdomen.
- Small bleeding.
- A condition similar to the period of the menstrual cycle.
With the above symptoms, it is important to consult a doctor.
Chances are that the pain during ovulation causes the rupture of the wall of the follicle or blood clot in the abdominal region. The blood causes severe irritation of the surrounding tissues, which is accompanied by pain. Sometimes ovulatory syndrome is not associated with serious problems, it simply reminds of the most appropriate time to conceive a child.
Back pain during menstruation: causes, treatment
A big problem for very young girls and mature women are painful periods (dysmenorrhea). Dull aching pain in the lower abdomen, extending to the back, can torment anyone. How girls complain: in this period, even climb the wall.
Discomfort and nagging pains in the abdomen, pelvis and back begin to disturb women even before the onset of menstruation, may be present during them and even persist.
Why is this happening, and what can be advised women to relieve this menstrual syndrome?
Why during menstruation often back aches
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) is a very frequent occurrence among women, especially those who have not given birth.. It is expressed not only in the painful sensations in the abdomen and back, but it can also manifest itself with such symptoms:
- Headache and dizziness
- Cardiac arrhythmia and angina pectoris
- Weakness, nausea, poor appetite
- Insomnia and increased irritability
Back pain in primary dysmenorrhea
If dysmenorrhea occurs in girls, after one to three years after the first menstrual period, then it is usually associated with the onset of egg maturation (ovulation) that occurs in the middle of the menstrual cycle (full cycle - 21–35 days). This dysmenorrhea is calledprimary. It is based not on any pathology in the genitals, but on completely different reasons.
Why in this case there is pain in the back before menstruation?
It used to be believed that the basis of such a syndrome is psychological and physiological factors that are not yet fully mature girls and women with mental problems. But at present there is a scientific theory, according to which hormone disorders are the basis of primary dysmenorrhea, namely:
- Different concentrations of the hormone prostaglandin in the uterus:
- elevated levels of prostaglandin E2 (PGE 2) leads to dilation of blood vessels and decrease in platelets in the blood
- increasing the concentration of prostaglandin E2-alpha (PGE 2-alpha) - to cuts in the smooth muscles of the uterus and pain
- Increased estrogen levels that promote the release of prostaglandin PGE 2-alpha and increased uterine activity
Pain in the lower abdomen and lower back with the same on the eve of before menstruation or on the very first day and lasts one to two days. The nature of the pain:
- Aching, cramping, tearing, pulling
- Giving in the back and pelvic organs:
rectum, bladder, appendages
How to treat primary dysmenorrhea
Многие женщины пытаются лечить дисменорею при помощи анальгина или но-шпы, однако такие средства малоэффективны и действуют лишь несколько часов, а затем приступ возвращается. Are there any other ways to treat the pain that occurs before menstruation and during them? Yes, there are.
And these are, first of all, NSAIDs already known to us (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which we used to treat acute pain syndromes in the back due to the fault of the spine:
- Nimesil, diclofenac, ibuprofen, indomethacin, ketonal and others
But in this case, these tools are not used as symptomatic, that is, eliminating just pain, but as curative. Why?
Apply them in two ways:
- first three days during your period
- before menstruation for one to three days (preventive scheme)
The second method is the use of combined oral contraceptives (COCs).
And why do these seemingly non-painkillers help with pain? Very simple - their double impact occurs on an exclusively hormonal level:
- The effect on the endometrium of the uterus (reducing its thickness), because of which the number of prostaglandins decreases.
This property allows the use of contraceptives for the treatment of serious female disease - endometriosis, which is the cause of frequent and painful periods.
- Blocking ovulation by preventing the maturation and tear of the follicle.
The use of COC, which is carried out on a complex multi-day scheme from three to six months, leads to anovulatory cycle and painless monthly
Treat pain or endure?
However, both of these tools — both NSAIDs and COCs — are a “double-edged sword”, and it is not known here which is better: to suffer pain for a couple of days or cause those complications that may occur later after their use.
NSAIDs have a lot of contraindications, and after taking them such side effects may occur:
- Gastric and intestinal ulcer
- Heart pathology
- Medicinal hepatitis, pancreatitis and nephritis
- The defeat of the mucous membranes of a malignant nature, and many others
After prolonged use of contraceptives:
- Infertility may occur.
- The risk of breast cancer increases (BC)
Other ways to treat pain during menstruation
What to do if you do not want undesirable consequences, and there is no strength to endure pain?
- Take a painkiller with paracetomol, for example, sedalgin-neo
- Do relaxing exercises:
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, and put your hands under the sacrum. Bend your knees from side to side for a minute or two. Then move your hands under the buttocks, take deep breaths, trying to breathe in the stomach
- Roll over on your stomach and lie on your fists, leaning your forehead on the floor. With your feet together, lift your legs while inhaling. Take half a minute in this position, take deep breaths, then slowly lower your legs and relax
- Massaging the active points:
- Find two points below the navel at a distance of two and four fingers. Press them for two minutes while breathing deeply
Causes and treatment of secondary dysmenorrhea
We are talking about secondary dysmenorrhea:
If its cause is the particular anatomical structure of a woman:
- Uterus bend
- Presence of uterine horn rudiment
- Double uterus
In this case they talk about congenital secondary dysmenorrhea. The pain before menstruation and during them occurs in such women throughout their life, and may subside after giving birth.
If the pain before menstruation occurs in women rather mature, in which the cycle proceeded normally before, then there is secondary acquired dysmenorrhea.
Why can it occur? There are many reasons for this. It:
- Chronic inflammatory processes of appendages:
Adnexitis, vulvitis, vaginitis, salpingitis
- Uterus Endometriosis
- Tumors and cysts of the ovaries
- Uterine tumors (mostly myomas)
- Endocrine disorders:
- thyroid function failure (hypothyroidism)
- lack of corpus luteum of the ovary (progesterone deficiency)
- Painful sensations appear 10–14 days before the beginning of menstruation.
- About past ovulation can be guessed by spotting bleeding, observed after two or three days after the rupture of the follicle
In all these cases, pain before and during menstruation is treated in the direction of eliminating its main source. Only a gynecologist can decide what the treatment plan will be.
Back pain after menstruation
But pain in the abdomen, spreading to the back can occur in a woman and immediately after menstruation. This is a dangerous sign that can talk about chronic pathological processes and even about an extreme situation. The reasons may be:
- Oophoritis (inflammation of the ovaries, most often due to hypothermia or stress)
- Tumor or cyst
- Ovary hemorrhage (apoplexy)
- Ovarian hyperstimulation (often occurs in the treatment of infertility)
- Psychogenic factors
Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome
Treat the syndrome with homeopathic medicines, muscle relaxants and suppositories:
- Candles Methindol
Health to you, women, and less suffering!
Video: Why are painful periods
WE ADVISE! For the treatment and prevention of diseases of the joints, our readers have successfully used the increasingly popular method of fast and non-surgical treatment recommended by leading German specialists in diseases of the musculoskeletal system. After carefully reviewing it, we decided to offer it to your attention.