Many women are interested in whether it is possible to donate blood during menstruation. Most people want to know exactly whether menstrual flow affects the results of laboratory tests of the collected material.
And also the second important question from adult girls: “will indicators have differences from those that are made on normal days”.
Critical days, even if their cycle is always correct, and the discharge occurs at the same moment of the month, can always become a serious obstacle.
For example, it is impossible to perform a scheduled inpatient examination during this period, which contains a wide range of medical procedures, including the delivery of biological materials.
What blood tests exist
It is required to analyze the composition of the blood and its plates regularly in order to notice in time all pathological changes in the body, including cancer.
Frequent visits to the laboratory will help save time in time or preserve its quality.
There are a list of known tests:
- Biochemical research - shows the full functioning of the whole body, the blood system and gives a detailed list of problems.
- Hormonal - this species diagnoses some types of diseases and determines the state of gynecological microflora. To pass hormonal tests during menstruation is not worth it, because all the results will be false.
- General analysis - helps to know the quality and quantity of blood bodies of erythrocytes, platelets and leukocytes, allows you to identify an indicator of hemoglobin and find malfunctions in the work of the vital organs.
- Determination of sugar. Detects the degree of glucose in the blood and indicates possible endocrine disruptions.
- Immunological test - establishes the ability to fight blood bodies with foreign viruses.
- Samples to identify allergic reactions of the body. The procedure is performed using a certain amount of blood and dies.
- With erological test - determining the number of viral mycobacteria in the body. This study can not violate the menstrual flow, so you can donate blood during menstruation.
- PCR - molecular genetic examination of blood, which reveals hereditary and infectious diseases. The analysis is sensitive even in the case of chronic or acute forms of the disease.
- Coagulogram - learns the ability of blood to clot. Determines the ability of blood cells to close wounds, and also finds possible deviations from the normal state.
- Oncological markers - able to establish the presence of a tumor. Oncological tumors poison the body with special proteins that can be seen through the blood.
Is it possible to donate blood during menstruation
Why not take the material?
At the time of occurrence of the menstrual period in a liquid connective tissue changes a certain number of indicators.
If an extensive analysis is performed, then based on its results, the doctor may note the activity of the blood platelets, as well as the fact that the red blood cells settle too rapidly.
Such indicators may give rise to a false suspicion about the development of infectious processes.
An analysis taken straight from a vein during menstruation can show a lower number of white blood cells or platelets, but exaggerate the number of red blood cell bodies.
The ability of blood to clot at the same time is reduced, as well as the quality of hemoglobin in it, as the woman daily makes a loss of a large volume of connective fluid.
The attending physician will answer the question about whether it is possible to take the material, but it is recommended to abstain until favorable days.
Biological and chemical examination is not carried out during this period, since during natural bleeding the composition of the blood tends to transform, and, therefore, the correct diagnosis cannot be identified.
A specific list of tests appointed by specialists is required to pass on these days, but following strict recommendations and deadlines. It is important to approach this with responsibility, especially when it comes to hormone research.
The content in the blood composition of each type of trace elements is associated with the cycle and time of the end of bleeding.
To take a blood test during menstruation is required not earlier than 5 days after their completion. The test is aimed at identifying these hormones:
- Prolactin - 5 days after the end.
- Follicle-stimulating hormone - 6 days after the end of the cycle.
It is important the day before collecting the materials not to use any drugs, because they tend to confuse and "lubricate" the appearance of blood under the microscope.
You can take a blood test during menstruation, if it is aimed at identifying syphilis. Changes in the composition and number of blood bodies at this time will not affect the detection of viral microorganisms.
In addition, if the study is aimed at identifying infections or during serological testing, blood can be donated on any day of the month, regardless of the cycle.
It is not recommended to give your material to other surveys due to false results. UAC will definitely show an increase in the speed of erythrocyte bodies sinking.
If the fact of bleeding is not indicated to the doctor in advance, an opinion will be given on the development of inflammatory processes in the body. Ultimately, the specialist will prescribe the wrong method of treatment and medical intervention, which will adversely affect the body.
It is possible to donate blood during menstruation, but with extreme caution. Before the procedure is recommended to refrain from the use of any drugs that affect hormonal levels, as well as funds aimed at combating viruses.
In addition, alcohol and tobacco products are prohibited within 24 hours, and you must also lie on an empty stomach.
More and more people are interested in donation and patient care, and women are interested to know whether they can be tested during their period or become a donor.
Such questions please medical workers, because the procedure cannot be performed at the time of natural bleeding, and some girls are silent about the state of the body, which endangers themselves and others.
In the period of 4-5 days of discharge from intimate ways, the body loses up to 60 milliliters of venous fluid, and donation requires at least 200 ml to be given.
That is why the girl will experience a real shock from such a volume that will affect her health and emotional background.
Patients who wish to participate in such an event, it is important to remember the general state of health during periods of menstrual bleeding.
Weakness, drowsiness, and abdominal pains are normal, but by mixing symptoms with additional blood loss, a woman runs the risk of a shock, up to loss of consciousness.
The next prohibiting factor that requires the refusal of donation, is a modification of the blood composition. An even greater loss of hemoglobin can not sustain the body.
So, the main reasons why it is impossible to donate blood during menstruation are associated with a deterioration in the patient's well-being. It also adversely affects the person who is preparing to receive blood from the donor.
Not a rare case can be called the irresponsibility of some nurses / brothers or laboratory technicians who deliberately risk two lives due to negligence in checking all components.
Changes in the body during menstruation
In the process of menstruation, endometrium is rejected, which lines the uterus from the inside. Within a few days there is a release of blood from the female genital tract. The hue of the color of the blood can be different, it depends on the day of the cycle, and on the state of the body.
Periodically repeating, menstruation lasts from 3 days to 5. The cycle begins on the first day of discharge, ends on the last day before the next menstruation. At the end of this period, the endometrial layer becomes as thick as possible, gaining the ability to retain a fertilized egg. If conception does not happen, an unnecessary layer of the endometrium leaves the uterus, causing menstrual bleeding.
Some control studies during the period of menstruation are not possible, since many short-term changes occur in the body. The result will not be reliable.
On critical days, the following blood counts change:
- An increase in ESR is observed in the first days of menstrual bleeding. Now it is considered normal, and on the other days of the cycle it indicates the presence of inflammatory processes in the body. To avoid mistakes in diagnosis, it is better to pass this analysis later.
- Decrease in the number of platelets and leukocytes with an increase in the number of red blood cells.
- Changes in blood clotting, which is becoming more fluid, which can cause improperly prescribed treatment.
Changes in the composition of the blood, which are a natural consequence of a change in the state of a woman, should not be frightening. The results of tests can also be affected by medications taken on critical days.
Features of bleeding
The menstrual cycle is a period of time from the first day of the onset of menstruation to the next onset of bleeding. Normally, this period includes 21–35 calendar days. In normal menstruation, bleeding begins at regular intervals with a tolerance of one or the other in 1-2 days.
To control the constancy of the cycle, you can use the marks in the female calendar. These data will allow you to plan these or other events taking into account the menstrual cycle. The same calendar can help you with the passage of medical procedures, when the beginning of menstruation is of great importance, including conducting clinical analyzes of urine and blood.
During the cycle, the uterus prepares for the upcoming fertilization. In the second (luteal) phase of the cycle, there is a thickening of the walls of the endometrium. If the pregnancy has not come, the endometrium begins to tear away from the uterine walls, exposing the blood vessels. For this reason, there is bleeding during menstruation.
What is the reason for such an effect on blood counts?
If you plan to conduct laboratory blood tests, but they fall for the period of menstruation, then you need to know the changes that occur in the female body during the critical days:
- ESR increases, which is interpreted as the erythrocyte sedimentation rate,
- there is a decrease in the number of platelets,
- the number of red blood cells, on the contrary, increases
- blood clotting is activated,
- there are spasmodic changes in such a parameter as hemoglobin, which can increase at the beginning of the cycle and then abruptly decline.
Types of blood tests
Deviations in blood counts have an impact on diagnostic studies of a number of diseases. But at the same time, there are laboratory manipulations that do not depend on the time of material collection.
The list of blood tests that are not desirable for menstrual discharges:
- Complete blood count, which determines the content of blood particles: leukocytes, platelets, red blood cells, as well as ESR and hemoglobin.
- Biochemical analysis is carried out to determine the amount of proteins, enzymes, bilirubin, etc.
- The sugar analysis reveals endocrinological abnormalities.
- Serological analysis determines the presence of bacteria or viruses in the body.
- Immunological talks about the activity of the immune system.
- Allergic tests allow you to select a reaction to particularly common allergens.
- Blood clotting shows the viscosity of the biomaterial and the existing deviations in any direction.
- PCR is marked by increased sensitivity to foreign DNA, is important in the diagnosis of urological and gynecological diseases.
- Taking a biomaterial to detect tumor markers allows identifying the development of oncological diseases based on the data obtained.
There are diseases for which blood donation during critical days is the most accurate analysis: some hormones are tested for 2-3 or 5-7 days of the cycle to diagnose hormonal abnormalities for gynecological problems.
In all other cases, blood counts at the beginning of the cycle differ from the results of tests conducted in the middle or at the end of the menstrual month.
Urinalysis during menstruation
Also monthly can serve as an obstacle for delivery of the analysis of urine. If the necessary requirements are not followed and the blood gets into the biomaterial, then there may be erroneous results indicating serious health problems, up to the development of the oncology of the female organs. This may indicate a darkening or redness of the biomaterial, a change in specific gravity, turbidity of urine with the identification of red blood cells in its composition, precipitation, an increase in the number of leukocytes.
During menstruation, urine tests do not pass. If conducting a urine test does not require delay, and you need to pass the analysis before the month or during them, then it should be done in compliance with the basic requirements:
- to wash away without the use of antibacterial agents
- insert a tampon into the vagina, which will prevent blood drops from falling into the biomaterial,
- take the middle portion.
Of course, you remember that the analysis requires the first daily urine, the dishes must be sterile.
Donation and menstrual cycle
The donation imposes strict requirements on the health of those who are willing to donate blood if necessary. Much attention is paid to the work of the cardiovascular system, indicators of pressure, blood quality, the presence of chronic diseases.
Girls and women who are regular donors, know that you can not donate blood during menstruation. But those who act in this role for the first time often do not even suspect why it is impossible to donate blood in case of any deviations with health and during menstruation as well. This is due to the fact that the body is already experiencing stress during critical days. Additional fluid loss can lead to general weakness, which is more common with heavy bleeding.
For the period of menstrual bleeding can fall through the passage of planned physical examinations. If the patient is aware of the absence of health problems, then taking a blood test during menstruation is not a contraindication. To do this, you must inform the doctor about the occurrence of critical days. It will not be superfluous to report this fact to the laboratory technician who will conduct the material sampling. Small deviations of blood particles, hemoglobin and ESR are valid within normal limits.
Also, medical examinations are carried out upon admission to work or to an educational institution. This category of examinations may permit laboratory tests at the beginning of the menstrual cycle.
Recommendations for testing
When you may need to undergo a full examination related to any prescription of the attending physician, then you must take into account the characteristics of your menstrual cycle.
It is important to adhere to some of the recommendations that will allow to obtain the most accurate test results:
- It is advisable to take blood tests after 2-5 days after the end of the bleeding,
- stop eating 10-12 hours before laboratory testing,
- the biomaterial is taken in the morning on an empty stomach,
- a urine test is taken according to material intake requirements.
Whether it is possible to take tests at monthly depends on the purpose of laboratory tests. If you need to undergo a medical examination in a planned manner or to identify possible deviations of hormone production, then menstruation is not a contraindication. In all other cases, you need to reckon with your menstrual cycle.
The effect of menstruation on donation
We will understand how monthly and donation are related. During menstruation, a woman leaves about 50-70 ml of blood daily. This is a minor blood loss for a person.
During blood sampling for donation about 500 ml are pumped out. Menstruation is a natural process for a young female body, and blood donation is artificial.
They are connected only by the fact that in either case a certain amount of blood is released from the female body.
Why not donate blood?
Is it possible to donate blood for donation during menstruation? Extremely undesirable. The human body is very fragile, and if it can endure blood loss during menstruation or during donation, the combination of these two types of blood loss can badly affect the body.
The woman's body changes as follows during menstruation:
- A woman feels weakness, pain, and sometimes dizziness. During this period, her body is weakened, so artificial intervention can lead to serious consequences.
- During menstruation, a woman's blood composition changes. The hemoglobin, which delivers oxygen, falls sharply, the number of platelets, leukocytes and red blood cells is greatly reduced.
- Иногда женщина испытывает такую сильную боль, что ей приходится использовать обезболивающие таблетки. А при донорстве вещества из лекарств непременно попадут в кровь и окажут негативное влияние. Кровь окажется непригодной для переливания.
- During menstruation, immunity falls. Additional interventions in the body can cause poor health.
Is it possible to donate blood before and after critical days?
Let's see how many days before and after how many days after menstruation you can donate blood. A few days before the onset of menstruation, the woman's body begins to change. The blood becomes thick, and its fence becomes difficult. Therefore, blood sampling is allowed 5 days before the expected onset of menstruation and 2-3 days after, as the body needs time to recover.
We recommend to watch videos on this topic.
Implications of donating on critical days
Critical days donation makes you feel worse, it can provoke fainting, and also some effects may appear much later.
It may happen that the monthly ones will stop coming on time due to hormonal changes in the body caused by donation during critical days.
Blood donation during menstruation will bring more problems than good to the world, women and doctors.
Therefore, before deciding on a donation, listen to your body and treat with attention to the processes that occur in it.
Examination of blood material given at the time of the pause of critical days is a rather effective way to study the level of health in the body. Blood has a special quality, which was donated for 7-15 days after the beginning of menstruation.
Such examinations at this period are the most productive, because the body has already managed to restore blood balance, and the uterus itself has not completed the cleaning process.
It was at this time that the level of red blood cells and other elements is at the optimal stage of development.
If the delivery of materials has an urgent need to check the state of health, then the pause of the menstrual cycle is the most optimal for laboratory biochemical examinations.
It should be remembered that the results of the research given on the document are not the final diagnosis. To accurately determine the presence of disease, it is required with all papers to visit the attending physician.
It includes a study of the state of such indicators as:
- platelet and leukocyte levels
- erythrocyte sedimentation rate,
All these data in different phases of the menstrual cycle are different. Due to the high probability of an erroneous diagnosis, it is not necessary to take an analysis on menstruation days.
Complete blood count during menstruation is absolutely not recommended. It is better to move it to the middle of the cycle. It is possible to conduct research within 4-5 days after the end of the month.
Such limitations are also connected with the fact that even a small loss of blood leads to a decrease in the level of hemoglobin in the body. The blood clotting system becomes more active. So nature takes care to stop the bleeding. In accordance with this, the indicators of a general blood test, given on menstruation days, will not be correct.
The results of this analysis, the factor of the presence of menstruation can not affect. If you suspect many diseases of an inflammatory nature make an analysis of syphilis.
Selection of a specific day of the cycle is considered unnecessary, since the results of diagnostics depend not on the level of hormones, but on the presence or absence of the causative agent of the disease.
Some doctors still hold the opinion that the analysis of syphilis is best carried out immediately after the end of menstruation, considering such a diagnosis to be more accurate. If the term allows, then you can wait a few days and do as your doctor recommends.
If the disease is acute and tests are needed urgently, blood for RW can be donated during menstruation.
Hormonal analyzes more than others depend on a specific day of the menstrual cycle. This is due to the fact that hormones are very susceptible to such processes as, for example, ovulation. That is why each hormonal analysis is recommended to be carried out strictly on the specified day of the menstrual cycle.
Hormone delivery during menstruation is indicated if you suspect:
- polycystic ovaries,
- neoplasms in the uterus, which are benign,
- disorders of the thyroid gland,
- deviations in the reproductive system.
Only an analysis delivered at a specified time can give a complete detailed picture of the state of the organism. If the doctor’s appointment is not fulfilled, you should wait for the next cycle and donate blood on the right day. Otherwise, the result will be completely unsuitable for diagnosis and prescription of treatment.
Other blood tests
During menstruation it is not recommended to take some types of other tests. It:
- Blood biochemistry. It shows the level of protein, bilirubin, enzymes. Indicators can change under the influence of external factors and strong stimuli, which is menstruation.
- Analysis for oncological markers. A sharp jump in the level of hormones can provoke unreliable results. It is better to conduct a similar study after menstruation.
- Test for blood viscosity. It is unacceptable in the process of menstruation to conduct a similar study, as the body, starting the mechanism of protection against bleeding, he raises the level of viscosity.
- Glucose test. In most cases, the result is unreliable, and the jumps can be quite large. In some cases, the result of such an analysis may even scare the patient, so it is better to check the level of sugar after menstruation.
- Allergy tests. The body these days is extremely susceptible to irritants, so the allergy test will not give a reliable result.
- Immunological tests. A week after menstruation is the best time for such a study.
You should be attentive to the analysis if, on the days of delivery, a woman takes medications that can affect the result.
The most reliable in all respects is considered to be the results of tests submitted on the 7th day of the menstrual cycle. This period occurs 2-4 days after the end of the month.
During the period of menstruation donor blood flow is strictly prohibited. A decrease in hemoglobin level, a blood clotting disorder are the main reasons why this should not be done. As a result, the overall condition of the donor can significantly deteriorate, the body will experience severe stress. The risk of bleeding is large enough.
You should not run to the donor center immediately after the end of your period. It is better if this is done on a 10-14 day cycle.
At this time, the phase of the menstrual cycle is characterized by such an indicator as increased endurance of the body, now women need to become donors. No one will check this delicate fact, but the harm done, first and foremost, to oneself and one's health, can be irreparable.
Is donation of blood allowed during menstruation?
Rate of results
When receiving the results of analyzes, I would like to quickly look at the coveted leaflet and analyze the indicators. However, it is not always possible to do this quickly, since the numbers next to the names of the elements being checked are often incomprehensible.
To clarify, you should know which results are normal:
- Leukocytes. The rate of 1 ml - from 3500 to 10,000 units.
- Hemoglobin. Per liter should account for not less than 120 grams and not more than 160. This figure is calculated specifically for the fair sex. Pregnancy involves a special approach to the analysis of this indicator.
- Red blood cells. The normal rate may range from 0.85 to 1.05.
- Hematocrit. Normally, from 35% to 45%.
The result of exceeding the norm or with a clear decrease should be immediately shown to the doctor. Self-treatment in most cases is unacceptable. Abnormalities in most studies may indicate serious health problems. Delay can cost life.
How to delay monthly for several days? Read in the article about the physiology of the female body, ways to delay menstruation, drugs that can be taken for these purposes.
Can there be a temperature before menstruation? Information here.
When is it best to give a blood test to a woman?
In order for the result to be as reliable as possible and to allow the doctor to get a complete picture of the patient's state of health, it is important to take into account all the factors influencing the final results. In preparation for the analysis should take into account primarily the time of day. Almost always it's early morning.
In addition to the time in which blood is donated for analysis, several factors must be taken into account:
- any blood test is done on an empty stomach,
- only water is allowed before the procedure
- a few days before the study from the diet you need to eliminate fatty and spicy foods,
- on treatment and monitoring days, you should give up bad habits,
- intense exercise should be excluded
- visiting baths, saunas, physiotherapeutic procedures is not recommended.
Blood testing should not be combined with other monitoring measures, because the body must be at rest.
You can or can not be tested in the days of menstruation, depends primarily on the type of analysis. In some cases this is unacceptable, and in some cases highly recommended. This applies, for example, blood tests for hormone levels. There are types of monitoring, where the phase of the cycle is not a decisive factor in analyzing the results.
On the video about testing for hormones
What should be considered when donating blood during menstruation?
Contraindications to this method of research during menstruation are absent. But if a woman wants to become a donor, donate blood during this period is not recommended. Why? Because on critical days in the female body, the total hemoglobin decreases in the blood, which means that the well-being of the donor worsens. Donated blood is an additional blood loss that is undesirable.
During menstruation, first of all, the ESR indicator increases significantly. A doctor, not being aware of the blood donation during menstruation, changes in blood parameters may perceive them as a reaction to inflammation that occurs in the body.
We can not ignore the fact that during this period the result of the analysis can be significantly distorted due to blood clotting during its delivery. In addition, in the first days of menstruation, the result of a general blood test can show elevated hemoglobin and red blood cells, which then sharply decrease.
When to donate blood is better?
Experts say that this can be done after no less than three days after the end of menstruation, when all blood counts are normalized. So is it possible to donate blood during menstruation?
But while critical days last, you should not do this because:
- As already mentioned, during this period, hemoglobin decreases due to natural blood loss, as a result of which blood clotting is activated. This affects its viscosity, which may entail unreliability of the results of biochemical analysis.
- The content of platelets changes again due to activation of the coagulation system. This is a kind of protection of the female body from excessive blood loss. As a result, the analysis will show a significantly underestimated platelet concentration.
You must follow certain rules:
- Donate blood five days after menstruation, not before.
- 12 hours before the tests, stop eating - the procedure must be done on an empty stomach.
- To determine the level of hormones in the blood must be tested in the morning.
Changes in the composition of blood during menstruation
During menstruation (menarche), the upper layer of the endometrium of the uterus is rejected. This leads to bleeding from the female genital tract. The following changes occur in peripheral blood:
- an increase in ESR, which is a marker of inflammation, in the period of menstruation, it is considered the norm,
- reducing the number of platelets and clotting factors, it is necessary to reduce the elasticity of the biological fluid, to prevent the formation of clots,
- decrease in the number of leukocytes,
- reduction of hemoglobin and red blood cells due to blood loss,
- change in the ratio of hormones
- reduced plasma levels.
Important! All changes occur within the normal range; in a healthy woman, they do not affect or slightly alter their well-being. Losses are quickly replenished after the completion of menstruation.
Recommendations for blood donation
To pass laboratory tests, you must adhere to the recommendations of doctors. They will help to obtain reliable data for one study.
- You can not eat 12 hours before testing. During the day - drink alcohol. For 2-3 hours - smoke.
- Laboratory tests are carried out only in the morning, with the exception of studies of hormonal levels.
- Stop taking the drug for 5 days before the delivery of a biological fluid. If this causes a sharp deterioration in health, the drug is not canceled, but warn the doctor about it.
- For women, it is not recommended to take tests on menstruation days, as the data will not be reliable.
For donation recommendations are supplemented. Biological fluid should not be given to persons under the age of majority, pregnant women, women with lactation, infectious patients, people with addiction (alcohol, drugs).
Is it possible to donate blood during menstruation
During menarche, changes in peripheral blood and hormonal balance occur. Some women have severe abdominal pains in which they use painkillers, which are contraindicated during donation, but allowed for biological fluid research.
When taking tests that are not recommended during menstruation, false positive results may occur:
- the presence of inflammation (increased ESR),
- hypoglycemia (decrease in blood sugar),
- immune system deficiency (decreased white blood cells),
- anemia (reduction of red blood cells and hemoglobin),
- decrease in the level of coagulability, which happens with infections, blood diseases (hemophilia).
The doctor may miss the following diseases due to false-negative data:
- increased clotting, which indicates a tendency to the formation of clots and the risk of thrombosis, heart attacks,
- oncological diseases,
- allergies to foods, drugs, herbs,
- liver pathology (reduction of bilirubin).
How are donation and menstruation
Blood is involved in both processes. To take it from the donor, special equipment is needed, the manipulation itself is carried out from a vein. The flow of blood during menstruation is provided by natural mechanisms and has a natural character. However, donation and menstruation are united by the fact that the body loses blood. Menstruation every day robs a woman up to 60 ml of liquid. For transfusion it is taken at least 200 ml. If you add this amount, blood loss will be significant. In healthy people, its stock is replenished, for this there are all possibilities. But donation that occurred during menstruation can seriously undermine health. The restoration requires some time and resources of the body, which during the period of menstruation are more limited than always. Therefore, when taking blood, doctors are always interested in whether a woman has critical days now.
Why it is worth postponing donation
Taking into account how donation affects menstruation, there are several reasons not to donate blood for transfusion to those in need, they can be divided into groups:
- During the period of critical days, most women feel worse than usual, feeling weak, depressed, wanting to sleep. The reason for this decrease in the number of sex hormones. It is they who control most of the reactions of the body, as they are concentrated, including in the blood. It is an essential part of the discharge from the genital tract. If a woman donates blood for donation during menstruation, her condition may worsen even more, including fainting or prolonged loss of consciousness,
- It is also significant that the composition of blood during menstruation varies considerably. The amount of such an important component as hemoglobin decreases. This is due to a decrease in the volume of red blood cells carrying it. Hemoglobin delivers oxygen to the tissues, providing life processes. Hormonal changes contribute to a decrease in its quantity during the menstrual period, worsening the general state of health. And blood donation during menstruation will further reduce this figure,
- For the period of menstruation, the immune system is suppressed. This is not only momentary, when her well-being deteriorates and the risk of infection increases. In the future, when donating at this stage of the cycle, the possibilities for restoring and updating the reproductive system are limited,
- During menstruation, blood pressure values also change for some women. It may increase or fall, but in all cases, the state does not contribute to the manipulation of the fluid intake. Monthly and blood donation is an additional stress that can negatively affect vascular tone,
- Feelings that a woman experiences on critical days require taking pain pills or antispasmodics. All of them inevitably enter the blood. Upon delivery of biological fluid for transfusion, this is unacceptable, as it distorts its performance and degrades the quality.
When can I donate blood on critical days
Запрет на сдачу крови при менструации касается женщины-донора и обусловлен влиянием на ее самочувствие. But the biological fluid itself, although it has some deviations from the average values for the most important indicators, is still suitable for transfusion, if it does not contain drugs.
Given this, you can donate blood for donation with menstruation only in extreme cases, when it is the only way to save the patient. But it should be borne in mind that the quality of biological fluid will change, thanks to a decrease in the number of white blood cells, platelets and red blood cells.
Before critical days
Donation before the monthly medics are also discouraged for the reasons already mentioned, if blood donation is assumed immediately before critical days. Although its indicators are changed in the other direction: the number of red blood cells is increased, hemoglobin is also increased. But all this is intended to ensure the process of menstruation, more precisely, more or less normal state of health these days.
Implications of donation for critical days
The effect of donation on menstruation can not only be immediate, worsening the state of health at the moment, if both these events coincide or are approximated in time. Even when a woman donates blood outside the menstrual period, she should be prepared for what is revealed:
- After donation there are no monthly periods. The reason for this is not so much blood sampling, as the stress that manipulation itself causes, especially if this is done for the first time. Excitement associated with blood donation can cause hormonal disruption, and the lack of these substances will be the direct culprit of the delay. All this provided that the test proved the absence of pregnancy
- Monthly came immediately after donation. Such a shift can be associated with both stress-induced procedure and hormonal disorders, which are not involved in blood donation. In the first case, in the next cycle, everything should get better, since a woman can be a donor no more than 4 times a year. But menstrual flow after donating blood is more scarce than ever. The body saves resources for recovery.
Donating blood to save others, most likely completely strangers, is necessary. But donation that happened during menstruation will bring more trouble than good. Therefore, you should not deceive physicians to satisfy your noble impulse right now or to get an extra day off. The loss of a noticeable amount of blood to the body will lead to the fact that instead of practicing their direct duties, specialists will be forced to revive the female donor. Perhaps due to such a reaction, during the manipulation, she will be given a medotvod for this occupation. And then the woman herself will have to recover much longer.
The relationship of donation and menstruation
An obvious factor linking blood transfusion and critical days is blood loss. Of course, in order to take a biological fluid for donation, they use specialized equipment, and it is taken directly from the vein, but it still does not reduce blood loss. Every day during a regula woman loses up to 60 milliliters of hemopoietic fluid, and at least 200 ml is required for transfusion. Putting two numbers together, a rather large amount of lost biological material is obtained, which adversely affects the general state of the body. It takes several days and a lot of resources to fully restore it between menstruations. That is why, qualified specialists argue that donation for menstruation is impossible.
Reasons for the prohibition of donation
There are reasons why it is impossible to be a donor during menstruation:
- During the period of the menstrual cycle, the general condition of the girl deteriorates significantly, she becomes weaker, drowsiness appears. This is due to a decrease in the level of sex hormones that are contained in the blood. If a woman gives blood at such a time, it can adversely affect her health and provoke a short-term or long-term collapse,
- During critical days, the composition of the circulatory fluid also changes. Significantly reduced hemoglobin (distributes oxygen through the tissues). This is due to hormonal imbalances and a decrease in the number of red blood cells, which help it to move through the vessels. The low level of this trace element causes a strong weakening of the body,
- Critical days are accompanied by a deterioration of the efficiency of the immune system, resulting in an increased likelihood of infection. If you donate during the menstrual period, the recovery process will last much longer than on normal days,
- Also during regul, blood pressure is affected (it can increase or fall). If at this moment the girl passes the biological fluid for transfusion, then the walls of the blood arteries can suffer greatly,
- Very often menstruation is accompanied by pain in the lower abdomen, eliminating which, the girl takes painkillers that penetrate the blood. During its delivery it is very important that there are no excess medicinal elements in the liquid, which adversely affect its quality.
When donation is possible
You can donate blood during menstruation only if a sick person who needs a transfusion cannot wait. The blood fluid will also be effective, the only thing is that the number of platelets, erythrocytes and leukocytes in it will decrease. In other cases, this should not be done, since such a procedure adversely affects the health of the donor woman.
Blood donation is better to postpone for a more favorable period. As a rule, doctors allow the procedure within 4 days after the end of the month. To determine whether the natural amount of blood and other useful resources in the female body has been restored, the doctors, before the transfusion, carry out special tests.
Implications for cycle donation
Adverse effects after taking a biological fluid may not only be short-lived, during which a woman may lose consciousness, feel a surge of weakness and drowsiness. Often the girls, who nevertheless decided to donate blood for donation during the period of critical days, noted that this noble event had a negative impact on the following physiological processes:
- There was a failure of the menstrual cycle. Violation of the regularity of menstruation and their delay can be explained not by the loss of a large amount of blood, but by the fact that the female body has been subjected to severe stress (especially if it was the first delivery of hemopoietic fluid). Emotional shocks adversely affect the level of female sex hormones, a stable number of which is responsible for the timely onset of critical days,
- Menstrual discharge becomes more scarce - this is because the body is trying to save useful resources and restore the necessary amount of biological fluid,
- If blood donation was made shortly before the onset of regul, then they can go earlier. This is also due to changes in the amount of hormones or severe stress. Most often, next month the cycle is fully stabilized.
Based on the above consequences, which may develop as a result of the delivery of a biological fluid, doctors negatively answer the question whether donation is possible during menstruation. Due to the sharp deterioration in the overall health of doctors, who already have so much work, will have to send their forces to help the donor girl. Due to a similar reaction of the body, she most likely will no longer be allowed to donate blood for transfusion. That is why it is recommended not to be silent about the present physiological state for the sake of receiving an additional day off, quenching a noble impulse or an easy way to earn money.
Is it dangerous to be a donor during menstruation?
When a person first comes to donate blood to a donor site, he is usually taken 150-200 ml. This is half the usual donor portion, which is taken from "experienced". The standard portion of donor blood is 400 ml plus 50 ml for a blood test.
450 ml is an average of 10% of the total amount of blood in the human body.
Depending on the state of health of the donor can donate and less blood, for example, 300-350 ml.
It happens that if the donor feels good and the blood is taken to the plasma, then the volume can reach 600 ml. In emergency situations when blood is urgently needed, a donor can take up to 1 l of blood.
How does the donor feel after blood donation?
After the donation procedure, the donor may experience slight dizziness, slight weakness and drowsiness. But it passes in a few hours, depending on the speed of recovery of the body.
But not all donors feel this way, many are talking about a surge of strength, an increase in vitality.
Why can not be a donor during menstruation?
To be a donor, you must be a healthy person, since the list of contraindications to donation is quite large. A person cannot be a donor if he is a carrier of HIV infection, hepatitis, tuberculosis, syphilis and other viruses, parasitic infections, has a malignant formation or blood disease. Do not take blood if:
- body temperature above 37o
- low hemoglobin
- there are problems with eye pressure,
- suffers from high blood pressure
- has problems with the cardiovascular system
- takes medicine, etc.
Also, women can not be a donor during menstruation. Although many women ignore this prohibition, because it does not concern the quality of donated blood, but only the health of a woman.
It is not recommended to donate blood during menstruation, as well as before them (2-3 days), and after them (up to 5 days) due to the threat to the woman's health. Arguments are:
- much blood loss of a natural nature,
- decrease in hemoglobin level in blood.
Hemoglobin levels affect the rate of blood clotting. Low hemoglobin, for example, during pregnancy, can cause miscarriage.
The loss of another 400 ml of blood during this period can cause bleeding, which is dangerous for the female body, life-threatening in the first place.
In addition, the immune system also suffers. Most blood loss weakens the immune system and makes the body vulnerable to viruses and infections.
In order not to expose your body, do not neglect the recommendations of experts. After all, if there is a recommendation, a ban, in the end, it means that for this there is a good reason - health and life.