Knowledge of the norm of the delay of menstruation will help not only to regularly monitor the beginning of the cycle, but also to learn in due time about pregnancy or the possible development of the disease. To reduce the risk of deterioration of well-being, it is recommended to examine the causes of menstrual failure.
Delayed menstruation may be associated with pregnancy or illness.
What is the delay of menstruation is normal
The normal duration of the monthly cycle is from 21 to 37 days. With a regular cycle, it is considered to be permissible to consider a delay in menstruation lasting from 1 to 7 days. If it is not celebrated every month - the maximum waiting time is 2 weeks.
In some cases, the norm is a longer absence of critical days without detecting pregnancy:
- The first periods. Puberty occurs, the cycle is fully normalized in 1–2 years.
- During pregnancy and during lactation. During breastfeeding, menstruation resumes 1-2 months after its end. With the rejection of natural breastfeeding, the cycle is restored within 2 months after delivery.
- The onset of menopause. Inherent in women aged 40–45 years. The duration of the cycle varies, critical days may be absent for up to 6 months, after which a complete cessation of menstruation occurs.
During menopause cycle duration changes
Causes of menstruation delay
The main reason for the natural delay is pregnancy. This condition is also accompanied by a feeling of chest pain, nausea, a change in taste preferences, heightened emotionality and constant fatigue. After birth, the duration of the absence of critical days ranges from 2 months to 1 year.
In the absence of pregnancy, failure of the menstrual cycle may occur due to an imbalance of sex hormones in the body of a girl associated with diseases of the endocrine system, pituitary, ovaries or adrenal glands:
Delay: pathology or physiological norm
Any physiological processes have variations of the norm. For example, pregnancy can last from 38 to 42 weeks. Monthly cycle is from 25 to 33 days. The weight of a child at birth varies from 2.5 to 3.5 kg (not counting pathological deviations).
The human body is a living substance, it is sensitive to the processes around it. Magnetic storms, changes in pressure, industrial emissions affect the course of life reactions. Changes relate to the composition of the blood and its pressure, the number of produced hormones. Some factors cause hormonal disturbances and initiate the delay of menstruation.
Let's consider how many days there may be a delay in menstruation.
Monthly delayed rate and impaired
- Monthly delay 2 days - not considered a pathology. Such a delay can cause jumps in atmospheric pressure, changes in street temperature.
- 3-month delay - also does not speak about pathology or gynecological problem. Fluctuations in the beginning of menstruation in a few days are normal for many women. Monthly hours can be inherent in the female body with a measured rhythm of life, the absence of daily stress, good nutrition and normal physical activity. Since the living conditions of a modern woman are completely different - for many, the onset of menses shifts by 2 or 3 days.
- 5-month delay - The average period between the norm and pathology. It is worth thinking about whether everything is in order in the body. If you have a cold, inflammation, or if you have had a flu or a different infection, your period may be 5-7 days late.
- 7-month delay - requires observation and follow-up treatment of the transferred inflammations (flu, acute respiratory infections, bronchitis, angina). Delay of menstruation for the week - the boundary between pathology and normal.
- 10-month delay - requires examination. It is necessary to do an ultrasound of the ovaries, determine the stage of maturation of the follicle.
- Monthly delay for a month - speaks of a hormonal disorder. It may be necessary to take hormonal drugs to establish a monthly cycle. At the same time, it is necessary to revise the lifestyle - get enough sleep, eat normally, stop drinking alcohol, smoking and other factors of chronic poisoning.
How much a monthly delay can be - depends on a woman’s health and the environment. Let's take a closer look at how the surrounding and internal factors affect the production of hormones and the possible delay of menstruation.
The main reason is a possible pregnancy.
Determining the presence of pregnancy is important for those women who did not plan to give birth in the near future. The earlier conception is discovered, the less the consequences of its interruption.
In addition, early detection of pregnancy with a delay in menstruation is necessary for those who work in hazardous industries. From the first days it is necessary to limit contact with harmful substances.
The most reliable way to determine pregnancy is a test. The test strip is lowered into the morning urine and aged for 1 minute. After it is placed on a dry surface for reactions (another 5-10 minutes). After a designated period of time, one or two features appear on the test strip. Two features speak of the onset of pregnancy, one of its absence and the formation of a delay for other reasons.
The cheapest tests show pregnancy only 2 weeks after the first day of delay. More expensive options are able to make the correct diagnosis from the first day of the absence of menstruation. To test showed true results, it is necessary to collect the morning urine - it will be the maximum concentration of sex hormones.
A negative test for delayed menstruation indicates the absence of pregnancy (except for exceptions - an insufficient amount of hormones, such a pregnancy often ends in miscarriage).
With a negative analysis, the question arises, why the delay of menstruation, if not pregnant? Let's look for the answer together.
Other causes of monthly delay
A delay of menstruation longer than 7 days is called ovarian dysfunction. The absence of menstruation for 6 months was called "amenorrhea". We give a list of the reasons that violate the production of hormones and shift hormones.
- Malnutrition, anemia, low weight (determined by body mass ratio (BMI) - less than 18). Among the vitamins, the lack of magnesium, vitamins C, B6 (ascorbic and folic acid) especially affects menstruation.
- Helminthic invasions (in the process of vital activity, the worms poison the body with their secretions, so their presence is permanent toxins and impaired microflora of the internal organs).
- Chronic sleep deprivation. With an insufficient amount of sleep in a woman's body, the synthesis of hormones that initiate the onset of menses is disturbed.
- Sharp weight changes - reset or set. And also obesity - blocks the production of tarragon, it slows down the development of the follicle, postpones the time of ovulation.
An important factor is the physiological changes associated with female diseases:
- Intoxication (poisoning by alcohol, tobacco, industrial substances in hazardous production) - nature is protected from the birth of a weakened body of a child or a freak, so after toxic poisoning follicle formation is disturbed, menstruation does not occur, conception becomes impossible for some period of time.
- Endocrine disruptions (often with thyroid disease).
- Gynecological inflammations and diseases (myoma, endometriosis, polycystic), and also cystitis - inflammation of the bladder. Gynecological procedures - cauterization erosion, scraping. With gynecological causes, there is often delayed menstruation and white discharge. Other symptoms are also possible - the lower abdomen pulls when the menstruation is delayed or the mammary glands swell.
- Kidney disease - the hormone progesterone is produced by the adrenal glands and the yellow body of the follicle, therefore, in case of renal failure, the lack of progesterone necessary for the beginning of menstruation is formed.
- Medication (contraceptives containing calcium complexes, ampicillins), some types of treatment (chemistry, radiation, cauterization erosion).
- Low calorie diets - sex hormones estrogen and progesterone are synthesized from cholesterol molecules. Therefore, the lack of cholesterol in the body of a woman (with long-term low-calorie diets) does not allow the body to synthesize a sufficient amount of sex hormones.
Exogenous causes - associated with environmental changes:
- Difficult environmental conditions, industrial emissions, soil and groundwater poisoning with herbicides, poisons, chemical fertilizers. From the soil, air and water, toxic substances enter the woman's body. Here they accumulate and can cause various disturbances (including the monthly cycle).
- Stress: moving, nervous and mental experiences, sunburn (can delay monthly for two or three months),
- Excessive physical activity (work on a sporting result).
- Climate change or time zone.
On the question of why there is a delay in menstruation, there is no definite answer. Often affected by several factors - living in an ecologically dirty region and additional poisoning by smoking. Or anemia in the face of chronic stress. Nature protects a woman from conceiving and giving birth to a weak, sick child. Therefore, in unfavorable situations, in the diseased organism the follicle does not mature, menstruation is delayed.
Is it possible to cause monthly during delay
The doctors of ancient Greece recommended in the case of illness to change the way of life, and only after - to contact a healer. What to do if the delay of menstruation lasts more than a week? How to cause monthly homemade ways?
What herbs can you use
The herbs that stimulate the movement of bile, blood, intestinal peristalsis and kidney activity (with diuretic properties) are used.
Parsley, wormwood, fryel, carrot seeds - their action will be more pronounced when ingested in the form of ground powders (from dried parts of plants).
If the delay in menstruation is caused by a lack of vitamins, the powder from nettle leaves, rosehip extract, vitamin berries (cranberries, sea buckthorn, viburnum) will help. In the absence of menstruation on the background of stress drink valerian root infusion.
Essential and vegetable oils
Black cumin oil - contains the necessary vitamins C, B6, magnesium, fatty acids, which provide the synthesis of prostaglantis, which, in turn, control the formation of female sex hormones.
This oil is effective not only for the treatment of amenorrhea, but also prevents the cessation of menstruation during menopause (postpones the reduction of sexual functions).
Vegetable oils (olive, corn, linseed) - are indicated for those women who have long enjoyed a low-calorie diet. Cholesterol is necessary for the synthesis of sex hormones, and therefore for menstruation and the health of the genitals.
How to cause monthly during delay in the home
In order to cause monthly, it is necessary:
- Stimulate the production of hormones.
- Organize a rush of blood to the genitals (active movement of the blood eliminates stagnant processes, inflammation, intoxication).
The following factors and means are used:
- The complex of vitamins and minerals. Especially increased doses of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) - for the synthesis of hormones.
- Full rest and sleep at least 8 hours a day - to normalize hormonal levels.
- Nutrition correction (complete supply of the body with vitamins, microelements, fats, proteins, carbohydrates).
- To activate blood circulation in the area of the small pelvis - take a hot bath, do a back massage in the lumbar region and light massage the lower abdomen. Also helps sex.
What doctors say: drugs for hormonal failure
Drug treatment of ovarian dysfunction (delayed menstruation) uses hormonal drugs with progesterone. The hormone level during a woman’s monthly cycle varies. Immediately after menstruation, estrogen increases in the woman's body. It reaches a maximum in the middle of the cycle, by the time of ovulation. After ovulation (the release of an egg from the follicle), progesterone begins to be produced.
During pregnancy, this hormone provides for the introduction of the egg into the uterine lining (in the case of fertilization). In the absence of fertilization, the hormone prepares the uterus for the onset of menstruation. If fertilization has not occurred, the level of the hormone reaches critical values, after which it drops to a minimum. Menstruation occurs.
When you delay the monthly doctors prescribe drugs that increase the level of progesterone artificially.
Duphaston in the delay of menstruation
Duphaston - drug number 1 for the treatment of delays, cycle disorders and female infertility. It supplies the woman's body with a synthetic progesterone analogue - progestogen.
For the purpose of the drug does not conduct laboratory tests of hormone levels in the blood. The drug is prescribed for symptomatic signs. Tablets begin to take before ovulation (11th or 12th day of the cycle). Accept from 11 to 25th day, after which they take a break until the middle of the next cycle.
Analogue of the drug - utrozhestan. It contains natural progesterone from herbal ingredients. Unlike its predecessor, it is additionally calmed by the nervous system.
The delay of menstruation without the occurrence of pregnancy is often not a pathology. It is rather a signal that something is wrong in the body. For the treatment of delay, correction of nutrition, habits, rest and sleep is necessary. Therefore, the general principles of therapy are vitamins, minerals, sleep, and a positive attitude.